Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 10:43 AM

Default What is their official management plan for PCR?

Guys, does anyone know what F&W's official mandate or management plan for Pine Coulee is?

I'm aware two major stock dumps of Rainbow Trout, apparently trying to introduce a Put & Take fishery. Ok. But does southern AB not have enough of those? Especially RNTR species, and in very close proximity to eachother?

Used to be a fun walleye lake. Edit: it still is, but not the same. With a 3 fish limit, it seems they want to wipe the species out? Or are they trying to make it a trophy lake for walleye and the trout are just there? I don't get it...

Hence I'm asking the audience. Also, is the current walleye population 100% naturally reproducing by now?

Seems like a management cluster or blunder to me.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:01 PM

They want to remove the walleye and pike and have introduced trout. That is the plan. Walleye and pike fishery was failing.

Put and take for now.

There are a few old threads on the subject with more details.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelds191 View Post
Guys, does anyone know what F&W's official mandate or management plan for Pine Coulee is?

I'm aware two major stock dumps of Rainbow Trout, apparently trying to introduce a Put & Take fishery. Ok. But does southern AB not have enough of those? Especially RNTR species, and in very close proximity to eachother?

Used to be a fun walleye lake. Edit: it still is, but not the same. With a 3 fish limit, it seems they want to wipe the species out? Or are they trying to make it a trophy lake for walleye and the trout are just there? I don't get it...

Hence I'm asking the audience. Also, is the current walleye population 100% naturally reproducing by now?

Are you catching any 6- 10 inch walleye ? If so then I guess some are reproducing. They didn’t want to Wipe the species out, it was stocked with walleye that didn’t reproduce as well as hoped so they now stock it with trout. The walleye were at the end of their life cycle, according to management, so it was decided to let retention take place before natural mortality.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Are you catching any 6- 10 inch walleye ? If so then I guess some are reproducing. They didn’t want to Wipe the species out, it was stocked with walleye that didn’t reproduce as well as hoped so they now stock it with trout. The walleye were at the end of their life cycle, according to management, so it was decided to let retention take place before natural mortality.
Alright, well if that is their goal, then I suppose they're doing it the right way, rather than dieing naturally.

I feel like I've caught some on the 6-10" range... but not many. Most over 10", but all seem stunted.

I'm hoping the walleye population survives and continues to reproduce. I don't see why both species can't co-exist.

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
They want to remove the walleye and pike and have introduced trout. That is the plan. Walleye and pike fishery was failing.

Put and take for now.

There are a few old threads on the subject with more details.
Appreciate the info and input. Seems unfortunate, but I'm not educated on the subject like the biologists are.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelds191 View Post

main concern with PCR is the aquatic biota...bugs...plankton...can't support the pike and walleye. The trout would be a better option.

However I wish they would make it a quality fishery and remove the pike and walleye and introduce tigers and browns with the rainbows.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-03-2020, 03:15 PM

Agreed .res,are close by.. for warm water fish
Old 06-04-2020, 09:10 AM

https://opus.uleth.ca/bitstream/hand...L_MSC_2016.pdf

Good read
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin