Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2020, 08:57 AM

Default Recommendations for a rod/reel set up

Hi Folks,

I’m looking for recommendations for a rod/reel set up as well as type and size of line for a 10 year old. We have been doing some fishing in stocked trout ponds with her fist rod/reel combo kit that I bought a few years ago. It was fine for learning on, but now that she’s more into fishing it just is not cutting it anymore. I’d like a set up geared towards the stocked ponds that will allow her to cast some small mepps spinner farther than the miserable few feet we can cast her current setup. Her current rod is 5’6”, but she does not seem to have and trouble using my 6’6” rod. Definitely want to change from a closed face reel to an open faced spinning reel. I thought I’d ask the experience folks here for some thoughts and recommendations before heading to the store to pick something up.

Thanks a lot,

Hip
Old 06-04-2020, 10:01 AM

Hey!

Good to hear that she's really getting into it. For stocked Trout ponds Personally I would maybe go with a Medium Light Fast action. around 6'8 or 7' range for castability and back bone incase you want to start chasing walleye and hammer handle pike in the future. Shimano sedonas are also great higher end beginner level reels. Anything within that class.

Not sure what your budget was.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-04-2020, 11:39 AM

For a ten year old, I would suggest a 6'6" to 7' light action(if you want it more specialized) with a 500 or 1000 size spinning reel filled with 4 lb mono. Will cast light lures very well. Mono is available for a lot less money so you will be able to re-spool often. More forgiving then super lines for kids. Less likely to cut themselves with it too. You can buy 1/4 lb spools that will last quite a while.
Please dispose of properly.

Line is the key. Line twist is the enemy. Super lines are great but I think kids do better with the mono to get started. Down side is might lose a few lures with the light line. I still use 4 lb mono for trout most of the time, mind you I am mostly in a boat.

Also you could use some backing if you want to save some money/line on the changes. 500 size reel would not need backing. But 1000 should be a little more versatile.

Could use on walleye, little light on pike. But dad could buy her another rod for that.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Zebco 33® Spincast Combo

check Cabela's for something like this....read some of the product reviews...remember you want to keep it simple and fun for the beginner angler...lots of time to upgrade gear etc if they enjoy fishing.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-04-2020, 01:23 PM

Was at Canadian tire yesterday and they had tons of combos for decent sales prices. Think it is a fathers day promotion.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:45 PM

My kids use the Children's version of the Ugly stick for pike and walleye, with 2500 size reels on them. And light action models for trout with 1000 size reels.

If you wanted something longer, and specifically for trout, the 6'6" medium light Berkley lightning rod is a good fit, quite light. My local Crappy tire has plenty, I'd pair it with a Pflueger President myself. The Fenwick Eagle series have also performed quite well for us for the money, the medium action is pretty soft and makes a decent trout rod, but can still be used for pike and walleye. A med light would be better for trout.

Good luck and have fun!

P8130431 by , on Flickr

P8130433 by , on Flickr

P7150177 by , on Flickr

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-04-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:08 PM

Thanks guys. With this input I am leaning towards the Pflueger President Spinning Combo (PRESSP-6625L2CBO) that is on sale for $100 right now. I am going to go to Cabela's tonight and check it out. Then I'll probably pair it with a 4lb monofilament line. Memory is the biggest issue I have with trying to cast light tackle. Any suggestions for a favorite line for this type of setup? Or do I just need to be more diligent in changing the line from time to time?

Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2020, 02:17 PM

pline fluoroclear from cabelas is all I use. memory is always a battle but after the first cast the line usually straightens right out. A fish will also take away the memory haha

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-04-2020, 03:13 PM

A braid wouldn't be a bad idea. I switched from 8lb. Trilene which I used religiously for almost 20 years up until just last year. When you can buy a spool of 15lb. test braid that has an equivalent diameter of 4 or 6lb. test mono it gives you real piece of mind. As far as memory goes I find braid to be similar but not as bad for spool memory. But this is after only one year of continuous use.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerynut View Post
A braid wouldn't be a bad idea. I switched from 8lb. Trilene which I used religiously for almost 20 years up until just last year. When you can buy a spool of 15lb. test braid that has an equivalent diameter of 4 or 6lb. test mono it gives you real piece of mind. As far as memory goes I find braid to be similar but not as bad for spool memory. But this is after only one year of continuous use.
Been thinking of making this switch myself. Biggest concern is having to use a leader anyways. I primarily fish the bow with spinners and rappalas.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:50 PM

I watch Uncut Angling all the time. Aaron used a lot of flouro leaders with braid. Again my opinions on braid are young but trying off braid to a swivel or some other kind of terminal tackle doesn't seem to turn fish off like I initially thought it would. Just something to take with a grain of salt.

Unless I'm fishing a lake I'm usually down at the bow. I usually use spoons/spinners as well. So most of my experience as far as braid/mono is based on hours spent on the bow river. Best of luck!

Last edited by archerynut; 06-04-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhippocket1 View Post
Thanks guys. With this input I am leaning towards the Pflueger President Spinning Combo (PRESSP-6625L2CBO) that is on sale for $100 right now. I am going to go to Cabela's tonight and check it out. Then I'll probably pair it with a 4lb monofilament line. Memory is the biggest issue I have with trying to cast light tackle. Any suggestions for a favorite line for this type of setup? Or do I just need to be more diligent in changing the line from time to time?

Thanks again!
Was just looking to see what 4 mono is available. Getting harder to find in larger spool sizes. Used Ande, stren, Berkley Trilene XL, Bass Pro Crappie line.
1000 shimao about 140 yd of 4 and the 1500 is about 170 yd of 4 lb.

What city are you near/in?

edit: added 1000 spool and 1500 spool.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 06-04-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
My kids use the Children's version of the Ugly stick for pike and walleye, with 2500 size reels on them. And light action models for trout with 1000 size reels.

If you wanted something longer, and specifically for trout, the 6'6" medium light Berkley lightning rod is a good fit, quite light. My local Crappy tire has plenty, I'd pair it with a Pflueger President myself. The Fenwick Eagle series have also performed quite well for us for the money, the medium action is pretty soft and makes a decent trout rod, but can still be used for pike and walleye. A med light would be better for trout.

Good luck and have fun!

P8130431 by , on Flickr

P8130433 by , on Flickr

P7150177 by , on Flickr
X2 in Berkeley lighting and the president series reel. Won’t break the bank. Best bang for your buck.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Was just looking to see what 4 mono is available. Getting harder to find in larger spool sizes. Used Ande, stren, Berkley Trilene XL, Bass Pro Crappie line.
1000 shimao about 140 yd of 4 and the 1500 is about 170 yd of 4 lb.

What city are you near/in?
I’m in Edmonton. Close to the south Cabela’s store.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks again!
I use 6lb Berkley Big Game mono for trout fishing. Sometimes I use a 4lb leader. Its not ultralight, but it will cast a #1 Mepps or a small spoon plenty far enough.

I use a little bigger than average spinning reels, and with the larger diameter spool, line memory is much less of an issue.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerynut View Post
I watch Uncut Angling all the time. Aaron used a lot of flouro leaders with braid. Again my opinions on braid are young but trying off braid to a swivel or some other kind of terminal tackle doesn't seem to turn fish off like I initially thought it would. Just something to take with a grain of salt.

Unless I'm fishing a lake I'm usually down at the bow. I usually use spoons/spinners as well. So most of my experience as far as braid/mono is based on hours spent on the bow river. Best of luck!
So just to clarify you dont use a leader and attach direct to spinners and spoons?
Old 06-05-2020, 01:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks again!
I almost bought a President myself a couple of weeks ago when it was on for $60. Great reel, ended up going with the President xt in 35 size. For the amount of fishing I do (lots!) wanted the upgrade in materials. Pflueger is a great brand and as with most mass produced products these days you do run the risk of getting a dud. Please report back on the rod as I have friends interested in this set up.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks again!
Good choice, always liked the Pflueger. I purchased my twin boys that exact combo and it's been great.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
I almost bought a President myself a couple of weeks ago when it was on for $60. Great reel, ended up going with the President xt in 35 size. For the amount of fishing I do (lots!) wanted the upgrade in materials. Pflueger is a great brand and as with most mass produced products these days you do run the risk of getting a dud. Please report back on the rod as I have friends interested in this set up.
Had better luck with Pflueger than Shimano in the last few years. A couple seasons back I had an old Trion that I felt was starting to get worn out, so I replaced it with a Shimano Sahara.... right out of the package the Shimano had more play in the rotor, handle and spool than the Trion did after a half dozen seasons.... and it cost twice as much. In less than two seasons the Sahara piled up, and the old Trion was still working.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:03 AM

I just thought I’d follow up with this thread I started in case it’s helpful for others. I ended up going with the Pflueger President Spinning Combo (PRESSP-6625L2CBO). I used 4lb PLine Floroclear on the reel. And I watched a YouTube video on how to properly load the line. I’ve always had trouble with twisted line. Turns out I’ve been loading line on my reels wrong all these years. I used to just stick a pencil through the center of the spool and wind it on my reel. A simple change to make sure the line comes coils off the spool the same direction it goes on the reel made all the difference.

Gear in hand we headed out to the Nordegg for a few days of social distancing. With this new setup, my 9 year old daughter had no trouble getting good distance on her casts with light tackle like small spoons, Mepps, and Panther Martins. We had virtually no issues with tangled line. And she was able to land several rainbow trout which made for a happy daughter. And an even happier Dad😉

Thanks everyone for you input, it was a great help!
Old 06-20-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I just thought I’d follow up with this thread I started in case it’s helpful for others. I ended up going with the Pflueger President Spinning Combo (PRESSP-6625L2CBO). I used 4lb PLine Floroclear on the reel. And I watched a YouTube video on how to properly load the line. I’ve always had trouble with twisted line. Turns out I’ve been loading line on my reels wrong all these years. I used to just stick a pencil through the center of the spool and wind it on my reel. A simple change to make sure the line comes coils off the spool the same direction it goes on the reel made all the difference.

Gear in hand we headed out to the Nordegg for a few days of social distancing. With this new setup, my 9 year old daughter had no trouble getting good distance on her casts with light tackle like small spoons, Mepps, and Panther Martins. We had virtually no issues with tangled line. And she was able to land several rainbow trout which made for a happy daughter. And an even happier Dad😉

Good to hear.

Found another source of 4 lb line at Princess auto $5.99 for 1000yd spool (Eagle Claw) and Walmart is selling 900 yd spools of 4 lb Eagle Claw for $3.00. Have not tried either of them yet, but bet they will be fine.

Store line in cool dark place(will last a long time). At those prices you could stash a few of them and not be out much.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Nice!

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-21-2020, 02:30 AM

Very nice. I looked at this setup for my father who was hinting at having his own reel and not using my setups and was going to get him a rod too. Unfortunately sale is over and ended up getting his the same reel as me a president xt but in 30 size. I will look at getting him a rod as well latter.

Off topic but anybody else have this issue? Originally my dad asked if I had an extra reel he could keep to use with his telescopic rod he likes. I actually have 7 reels and 6 rods. Of those 2 rods and two reels are good. Rest are functional but old as hell. Some spring in bail is gone some are prone to twist some have broken handles so share with handles with others. On the rods 2 have broken tips, 1 bent guides, other so old not sure what brand or weight it is. I decided if those old quirky reels weren't good enough to be my primary set up not good enough to give to him.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:54 AM

Good to hear you found a combo you like.

My general advice is, don’t buy your kids a rod/reel combo you would want to use yourself.

Once they’re past the Barbie or Spider-Man rod stage, if they like fishing, get them a good quality combo. I like to go a little shorter with younger kids, 6’3” to 6’6”. Medium or Medium Light, fast action. The reel is key so spend a bit more on that at the start. Avoid the clam shell reels and spend a few extra dollars. You’ll thank yourself later. Sensitivity to feel the bites, good casting distance, and line that isn’t always tangling or twisted will really improve their experience (and yours lol) and get them hooked for life.

Lots of good advice above, the only thing I’d disagree with is the 4lb mono recommendation. I think kids need a little more forgiveness for mistakes when fighting fish or casting, and 4lb mono is pretty light. I don’t even fish with it myself, I don’t go past 6lb. The second factor is line twist. Using mono, or even worse, fluorocarbon, will lead to a lot more line memory, line twist and tangling issues.

My suggestion is an 8lb braid. It’s 2-4lb diameter, casts a mile, is nearly unbreakable, and will be far less likely to get twisted and tangled. Tie on a few feet of fluorocarbon leader or just tie direct to a good quality snap swivel. I put 8 or 10 lb Power Pro Super Slick on my kids rods and all my nieces and nephews rods. Best thing I ever did. WAYYY fewer lost lures and WAYYY less time untangling crazy line twist messes.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:14 PM

Agree 100% with walleyedude.
I did the same for my kids. Good reel(pflueger president) with 10lb powerpro slick. No issues at all and enjoy the time fishing not fixing.
Cheers