Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-04-2017, 08:57 PM

Default Original Butler creek

From 12-15 years ago said lifetime guarantee right on the packaging. I know because as of a few months ago I found some of the packages in the gun safe during a clean out. The company was bought out many years ago and I remember the rep who looked after them telling me they only had a one year warrenty now when I was working at WSS. Because I still had the original packages he replaced them regardless of the estimated 10+ year age.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post
Tenebraex
https://armament.com/tenebraex-tool

Just ordered a set of these for a swaro from Omer at precision optics. Had not actually heard of them before. Canadian made even. Seem like a heck of a scope cover
Old 01-27-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
https://armament.com/tenebraex-tool

Just ordered a set of these for a swaro from Omer at precision optics. Had not actually heard of them before. Canadian made even. Seem like a heck of a scope cover

I also got some off Omer for my Kahles, they are top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2018, 12:40 AM
Banned

Was going to buy bulter creek now not to sure. Anyone know where to get cheap see through bikini style like some 22 scope come with?
Old 01-30-2018, 02:45 AM

Default Scope covers

Times 2 on Leopold alumi covers . Great
Old 01-30-2018, 04:38 AM

On the Leupold Aluma-covers, how do you get the objective lens end on if your scope is anywhere close to the barrel? You need close to a 1/4” clearance to get them to screw on.

I have one pair and while they are better than the Butler Creek ones I had to mount them on the scope prior to installing the scope in the rings.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
On the Leupold Aluma-covers, how do you get the objective lens end on if your scope is anywhere close to the barrel? You need close to a 1/4” clearance to get them to screw on.

I have one pair and while they are better than the Butler Creek ones I had to mount them on the scope prior to installing the scope in the rings.
I’ve ran in to this problem on quite a few. I usually mount my scopes within an 1/8” of the barrel and unless you are putting the Aluma caps on before you can’t get them on.

I bought some NF caps that I put on the NXS on my 300 win mag, I thought I had the eye relief set pretty good and never had a problem till I put these NF caps on. Shooting off the bench this fall I had a little blood running from my forhead and then when I shot my mule deer this fall off the bipod my snout got it. I didn’t bleed quite as much as my mule buck though
Old 01-30-2018, 12:48 PM

I break the butler flip up caps all the time. They don’t like my leather scabbard..
Old 01-30-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post
Tenebraex
x2,
especially for scopes (like NF) where the eyepiece rotates with magnification change control,
objective cover threads into scope / sunshade.
IIRC US$40 /ea.

Good Luck, YMMV
X3

I had those cheap plastic Butler Creek ones on my scope originally but got sick and tired of the occular lens cover slapping me on the eyebrow whenever I pulled the trigger. Tried two different ones and both did the same. I expect it's a spring tension issue (it's a .308 if you're interested).

Anhyhow, I bought the tenebarex flip covers (clear) and will never put anything else on my scopes ever again. These are very much worth the money spent.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 01-30-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Those lens covers are almost reason enough to buy Leupold.

Still waiting for Zeiss to go that way.
The leupold caps fit on any threaded scope, I have them on a zeiss scope and so does my brother.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 01-30-2018, 06:03 PM

I’ve had 2 Leupold covers fail, the little rubber stop in the hinge came out both times and then it just flops around when opened. Leupold replaces both on warranty so can’t complain about that.

I use Butler creek ones as well...
Old 01-30-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I’ve ran in to this problem on quite a few. I usually mount my scopes within an 1/8” of the barrel and unless you are putting the Aluma caps on before you can’t get them on.

I bought some NF caps that I put on the NXS on my 300 win mag, I thought I had the eye relief set pretty good and never had a problem till I put these NF caps on. Shooting off the bench this fall I had a little blood running from my forhead and then when I shot my mule deer this fall off the bipod my snout got it. I didn’t bleed quite as much as my mule buck though

I believe the threads rotate within the housing so you should be able to keep the cover oriented correctly. Maybe there is some grit preventing the relative movement?

*Clarification edit: I'm referring to the Alumina caps that Positrac and Smokinyotes were talking about*

Last edited by Soulcousin; 01-30-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcousin View Post
I believe the threads rotate within the housing so you should be able to keep the cover oriented correctly. Maybe there is some grit preventing the relative movement?

*Clarification edit: I'm referring to the Alumina caps that Positrac and Smokinyotes were talking about*
Isn’t enough clearance for the hinge on the cap to clear the barrel and has nothing to do with grit in the threads.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Isn’t enough clearance for the hinge on the cap to clear the barrel and has nothing to do with grit in the threads.
I realize that...if you have a look, the male threads of the flip up cover assembly rotate within the frame with the top hinge. There are serrations/knurls that you can grab to spin the threads (you need to flip open the cover to see them). So you orient the frame with the hinge at the top and the two releases at the sides and the whole thing will fasten in. The grit I was referring to would be stopping the male threads from rotating in the frame.

Just had a look at one of my installations, a 2-7x33 on ultra low mounts. The alumina flip up cover cannot rotate to clear the barrel, but it does not matter as the threads will rotate independently of the frame.

Hope this clears things up.

*Edit i found a video showing what I'm trying to say:
https://youtu.be/b-mXAyTnR0U

Last edited by Soulcousin; 01-30-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:02 AM

Vortex flip up covers.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
What ever happen to the days, of using a piece of car tire tube, and just letting it flick off, when need to take a shot, also good for light a fire, and a single tire tube, makes a several dozen.

I am with you on this one.

Now I have tried the Butler Creek covers and they are too poorly made and break very easy. I am not hard on gear so this doesn't impress me.

The Leupold covers are ok but pricey.

I will use the rubber inner tube or a Neoprene cover.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:26 AM

Default Covers

Vortex flip up covers are garbage and for 30$ Each , three times the price of Butler creek , I haven’t had any problems using the Butler creek and have had problems with all 4 vortex covers I have
Old 02-03-2018, 09:33 PM

Never had a problem with my Butler creeks. I just bought a Nikon Monarch and it came with flip-ups that work fine, in fact when I pull the bolt back it pops the rear one up.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:47 AM

If for a leupold I recommend the leupold aluma flip covers
Old 02-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcousin View Post
I realize that...if you have a look, the male threads of the flip up cover assembly rotate within the frame with the top hinge. There are serrations/knurls that you can grab to spin the threads (you need to flip open the cover to see them). So you orient the frame with the hinge at the top and the two releases at the sides and the whole thing will fasten in. The grit I was referring to would be stopping the male threads from rotating in the frame.

Just had a look at one of my installations, a 2-7x33 on ultra low mounts. The alumina flip up cover cannot rotate to clear the barrel, but it does not matter as the threads will rotate independently of the frame.

Hope this clears things up.

*Edit i found a video showing what I'm trying to say:
https://youtu.be/b-mXAyTnR0U
This guy is correct, the entire cover does not need to turn to put these on, I messed up on that the first time I bought one too.