Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-12-2017, 01:35 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Domestic dogs chasing game!

So on stand last night, real quit out, 4pm I hear a ruckus behind me and a doe busts out under my stand, full out, no flag just eating up realestate...5 seconds later I hear a freight train a coming, up, gun ready and it's a bull terrier type dog, one yell it stops in its tracks and bolts the way it came...today same thing but it was a Shepard and small lab...landowners are going to shoot these dogs and I can't blame'em...let your dogs out chain'em up...I tell ya if it was on dark and I was walking out and hell on feet was barreling towards me...other than that lots of new scrapes opened up!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-12-2017, 01:48 PM

Default I live in the country

People are OK with the odd dog getting away from the owner but dogs that are running loose all the time can chase game and or livestock and are routinely shot. Had one neighbor approach another neighbor many years ago about keeping his dogs on his property and the other neighbor was not receptive to the suggestion his dogs were running stock in the corral. Two weeks late 2 dead dogs and one wounded in the corral. RCMP as well as MD AG man were called. Owner of dogs was nearly charged.

I warned a neighbor I had coyote traps on my land to protect the birds and didnt want his shepherd/malamute cross in my yard. A few weeks later I put a 22-250 bullet just behind his dog which I figured would be end of loose dogs. Nope it was killed on highway a few weeks later.
Unfortunately the dogs pay the price for bad owners.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:24 PM

I have one spot I hunt in bowzone where two dogs and a house cat are on camera every year. Killed a cow moose nov 29th last year and went for a whitetail walk with the shotgun a few days later, come over a ridge and the two dogs are just chowing down on the stinky moose guts!
Old 11-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Banned

Here we go.... hunters wanna shoot people's pets because they chase wildlife. Well you don't own the deer they're not your livestock so you'll just have to put that dog down and hope the owner doesn't send some lead towards you or suck it up. I saw a domestic dog chasing 5 elk. I kept on moving.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Here we go.... hunters wanna shoot people's pets because they chase wildlife. Well you don't own the deer they're not your livestock so you'll just have to put that dog down and hope the owner doesn't send some lead towards you or suck it up. I saw a domestic dog chasing 5 elk. I kept on moving.
So you're OK with that then?
Old 11-12-2017, 04:07 PM

58 where were you at..sounds like my neighbours dogs...she was out lookingfor them all morning. pm me if you want.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Default dogs chasing livestock or wildlife

Is still illegal whether you think the owners will be upset or not. An out of control dog is a dead dog in most rural places. If the owners cared they wouldnt allow it to happen. this is not someones pet that gets away and the owners have to chase it down these are dogs that run free and run game or livestock all the time for fun. Pets that get away are usually eaten by coyotes within a couple days. Packs of feral dogs not so much.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Banned

Okay are we talking about pets or feral dogs? Makes a difference. I can tell you my dogs haven't chased livestock or your precious wildlife (you own it right?) but if anyone ever took a shot at them they best duck behind a few feet of concrete. And I know there are other farmers out there that would shoot back too.

Rez dogs on the other hand can be culled no problem. They were doomed from the beginning. Surprised Canada hasn't invested millions in trying to save them yet
Old 11-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
So you're OK with that then?
Well it's not up to me to control someone else's dog. Those elk were wild not farmed so they belong to no one.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Banned

Got a neighbor with 2 Great Pyrenees dogs that like to roam. A good neighbor keeps his dogs at home. Don’t matter if they’re pets or Rez dogs.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:20 PM

Default 'My precious wildlife...?

Quote:
Okay are we talking about pets or feral dogs? Makes a difference. I can tell you my dogs haven't chased livestock or your precious wildlife (you own it right?) but if anyone ever took a shot at them they best duck behind a few feet of concrete. And I know there are other farmers out there that would shoot back too.

Rez dogs on the other hand can be culled no problem. They were doomed from the beginning. Surprised Canada hasn't invested millions in trying to save them yet
Buddy... if your little pet rover decides chasing wildlife is a good idea or chasing livestock is fun.....

Your pet is done. Period. You are a negligent owner.

Not sure why you think we're talking about your pets....... but I find it interesting that you think shooting people to protect dogs is ok.
Doesn't matter who you think owns wildlife.

Examine your priorities.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well it's not up to me to control someone else's dog. Those elk were wild not farmed so they belong to no one.
WTH does ownership have to do with any of this? Wild or farmed, no difference.

Free running dogs harassing domestic or wild animals are soon to be dead dogs in most parts.

Last edited by sns2; 11-12-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Buddy... if your little pet rover decides chasing wildlife is a good idea or chasing livestock is fun.....

Not sure why you think we're talking about your pets....... but I find it interesting that you think shooting people to protect dogs is ok.

Examine your priorities.
X2.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
WTH does ownership have to do with any of this? Wild or farmed, no difference.

Free running dogs harassing domestic or wild animals are soon to be dead dogs in most parts.
And await the news story saying "hunter shoots family pet" then come on here and bitch and moan as per usual.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

Examine your priorities.

Priorities? Not to shoot a dog that doesn't deserve to be shot. If it chases my cattle. Yes. If it chases a Deer, whoopty deer don't make me money. Cattle do.

There are a lot of people on here that have a vendetta against farmers to begin with it seems to I can only imagine how many would love to pop a round off at a farmers dog.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:20 PM

Even in city parks, the family dog who enjoys a bit of off leash time, often becomes unmanageable when a bunny or deer appears.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Even in city parks, the family dog who enjoys a bit of off leash time, often becomes unmanageable when a bunny or deer appears.
I think that's called basic instinct. Something something dogs being natural predators something something wolf genetics something something.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:47 PM

So maybe the owner should be responsible and train their dog not to chase wildlife...it is not rocket science. Somehow quite a few owners have actually figured out how to discipline their dogs
Old 11-12-2017, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Priorities? Not to shoot a dog that doesn't deserve to be shot. If it chases my cattle. Yes. If it chases a Deer, whoopty deer don't make me money. Cattle do.

There are a lot of people on here that have a vendetta against farmers to begin with it seems to I can only imagine how many would love to pop a round off at a farmers dog.
So it's OK to "pop a round off at a farmers dog" if it's chasing another farmers cattle but it's not OK if it's wildlife it's chasing?

And do you have your dogs trained to control their natural instinct with respect to one vs another?
Old 11-13-2017, 12:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
So maybe the owner should be responsible and train their dog not to chase wildlife...it is not rocket science. Somehow quite a few owners have actually figured out how to discipline their dogs
All I want to see is responsible owners, raise'em right and there are no issues.
A lot of quarter sections with small acreages in which people just open the door in the morning and when they come home at night hopefully the dog is around...people

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-13-2017, 08:19 AM

Default Nice twist but......

Quote:

I never ever said shoot a dog that didn't deserve it. You sure like to contort stuff to make yourself sound right. So.... in your books it's ok for pets like untrained dogs and cats to chase wildlife.....?

Way to respect stuff.

So... to be clear.

I wouldn't shoot any dog if it isn't harassing other critters.
I'm not out to shoot innocent farmers' dogs (Where TH did that come from..?)

Yea... maybe that dog is following instincts...? And that's unacceptable..... really it is. Dogs also have instincts to bite small squishy things that make shrill cries and screams... such as kids.... you gonna give me an 'oh its all right, it's instinct'......... are you really?

Don't we train dogs to control their less desireable instincts? Please tell me.

And I still wanna see you justify shooting at people to protect your pets.....

You
Need
To
Step back and look at what you are saying. Please.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-13-2017, 08:45 AM

If you care about your dog, don't let it run free and chase wildlife or domestic animals. If you don't care about your dog, and you let it chase wildlife or livestock, don't be surprised when it doesn't come home.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:58 AM

The poll results are in......shoot everything that seems a threat.....ask questions later......
Old 11-13-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
So it's OK to "pop a round off at a farmers dog" if it's chasing another farmers cattle but it's not OK if it's wildlife it's chasing?

And do you have your dogs trained to control their natural instinct with respect to one vs another?
Sadly for some people it may as well be rocket science. Cannot believe some believe it's alright for there dogs to chase deer. Talk about self entitled.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-13-2017, 10:14 AM

Default Not difficult at all

If you value your dogs keep them under control. Trucks cars coyotes and people with guns protecting livestock or wildlife are a threat to dogs roaming at will. If you dont care if they come home something or someone will oblige you.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:22 AM
Banned

Well we're not talking about MY dogs because mine have never chased wildlife or livestock even when we spooked a group of does one fall while setting cams up.

My point is if you're hunting on crown that borders private land and you see and a dog that chased off a deer and you shoot that dog I would feel nothing if that farmer sent a round at you.

Also

Officer: why did you shoot that dog?
AO: It chased a deer away that I wanted to shoot
Officer: here have some fines and a court date no doubt

Later on AO someone posts a news article about a hunter shooting a farmers dog

AO en masse: omgzzzzz dats not a reeeaaaaalll hunterrrrrr how dare they make us all look bad!!
Old 11-13-2017, 10:23 AM

you should call and let the dog owner know that they need to keep there dog home because it is chasing live stock . If it is there the next day take care of it and call them to come and pick up there dog . You are doing them a soil by calling them the first time
Old 11-13-2017, 10:25 AM

I am just talking about live stock
Old 11-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
you should call and let the dog owner know that they need to keep there dog home because it is chasing live stock . If it is there the next day take care of it and call them to come and pick up there dog . You are doing them a soil by calling them the first time
I find it better not to say anything and then it keeps the neighbors neighborly.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I find it better not to say anything and then it keeps the neighbors neighborly.
you are so right