Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Seat belts and airbags save lives and reduce injuries ... not every time, but enough to stay with the program.
But if alcohol was banned , and drunk driving was eliminated many more lives would be saved.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
People seemed to have a common curiosity as to why so many of these shootings had AR-15’s involved. I pointed out how common they were and drew a comparison to which most would be able to relate, I compared AR-15 production volume to the number of Toyota Corollas made. Everyone sees these common cars out and about during their daily lives, easily dozens per day in a city. I added Wikipedia numbers for Toyota Corolla production volume from 2000 to 2017 and got 5.6 million cars, in the slightly shorter time period of 2000-2014 the production of AR-15’s was 5.67 million. Nearly an identical number but it took 3 years less to achieve. The AR-15 number was from an article that cited the ATF as the source of their statistics, it was a slightly older article thus the ATF #’s ended in 2014 and seemed to be from a publication that was firearms friendly. Interestingly, around the early years covered in the chart, production numbers were under 100,000 but the last 3 years of the same chart production numbers were well over 1,000,000, so it would be fair to add at least another 3 million to the numbers for a total made in the last 17 years of around 8.6 million up to 10 million. If production numbers remained as low (likely lower) as the numbers for the the beginning of the chart for the 3 decades of sales then it might be between 2-3 million, so the first three decades saw less production than the last three years! Source article with some insightful charts: http://knowledgeglue.com/just-how-ma...are-out-there/
Caber, I'm trying to understand your post here. Are you saying that the AR-15 was used in these shootings simply because it's common - that is, that all of these shooters just happened to have one lying around?

Can you honestly think of no other reason why the AR-15 would've been consistently chosen?
Old 02-22-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
But if alcohol was banned , and drunk driving was eliminated many more lives would be saved.
So campaign for saving lives through banning alcohol, this thread is about background checks as they relate to shootings.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
So campaign for saving lives through banning alcohol, this thread is about background checks as they relate to shootings.
Then why did you bring seat belts and airbags into the discussion?
Old 02-22-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Then why did you bring seat belts and airbags into the discussion?
To distract you ... and it worked
Old 02-22-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
To distract you ... and it worked
You are so slick , you fooled yourself!
Old 02-22-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkav View Post

Can you honestly think of no other reason why the AR-15 would've been consistently chosen?

My first thought is that there are a lot of losers who are obsessed with war guns like the AR 15 but are too cowardly to enlist and go to war for their country. They want to experience being feared and the sounds of terror and causing death lets them forget for a short time how pathetic they really are.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
My first thought is that there are a lot of losers who are obsessed with war guns like the AR 15 but are too cowardly to enlist and go to war for their country. They want to experience being feared and the sounds of terror and causing death lets them forget for a short time how pathetic they really are.
Anti much??? In the US there are probably more AR rifles used for coyote and pig hunting than bolt actions. They are are a very nice platform for hunting, just too bad we can’t use them here.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
While the AR-15 looks like the firearms issued to some military forces, it is not a "war" gun. In the USA it is marketed and used primarily as a sporting rifle , used by varmint shooters, or as a rifle to shoot targets at a range. For the most part the military forces prefer firearms with full auto capability.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Anti much??? In the US there are probably more AR rifles used for coyote and pig hunting than bolt actions. They are are a very nice platform for hunting, just too bad we can’t use them here.
I do not think the shooter at the school was interested in coyote or pig hunting but probably chose the AR because it was superior to the bolt action for his intended purpose.

At one time they were legal for hunting I have used an AR for coyote hunting.
The Ski Doo was outlawed for hunting before the AR was. The bolt scored more coyotes for me.

Last edited by covey ridge; 02-22-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
I do not think the shooter at the school was interested in coyote or pig hunting but probably chose the AR because it was superior to the bolt action for his intended purpose.
And does that mean it should be banned?
Old 02-22-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
And does that mean it should be banned?
I would rather ban accepting political contributions from the NRA.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
While the AR-15 looks like the firearms issued to some military forces, it is not a "war" gun. In the USA it is marketed and used primarily as a sporting rifle , used by varmint shooters, or as a rifle to shoot targets at a range. For the most part the military forces prefer firearms with full auto capability.
We all know that. In the USA it is marketed because it is a $$$$money maker$$$$.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
We all know that. In the USA it is marketed because it is a $$$$money maker$$$$.
So is alcohol, which kills many more people every year than firearms.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
So is alcohol, which kills many more people every year than firearms.
You have a rough time staying on topic.

I have not read anything that suggests this school shooting has anything to do with alcohol.

If you are so concerned about alcohol, and you have that right you can start a thread about it

I wish guys like you and elk could go back to the time you thought was way better than today and actually make it better instead of just moaning about it at every opportunity.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:18 AM

Background check isn’t enough obviously.

Dealers or firearms officers need a reference list to contact when purchasing guns. Maybe these references will have some insight as to what’s going in these people’s lives. Maybe they’re depressed, or ****ed off, or have some mental illness.

It won’t stop em from stealing a gun but may stop em from buying a gun for these godless acts.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:

I have not read anything that suggests this school shooting has anything to do with alcohol.

If you are so concerned about alcohol, and you have that right you can start a thread about it

I wish guys like you and elk could go back to the time you thought was way better than today and actually make it better instead of just moaning about it at every opportunity.
Are you going to deny that the number of school shootings is not increasing? Take a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Does a greatly increased frequency of shootings make it better now, or were things better when there were far fewer shootings?

The frequency is increasing, so obviously something has changed.Firearms like handguns and the AR 15 have bee available for decades, so it's not the firearms. Obviously society has changed, and the students are a part of society. So you can either deal with the root cause , and try to reduce the problem. or you can ignore the root cause and try and deal with the results of these changes in society by controlling the means , rather than the root cause. Which approach do you think will be more effective?
Old 02-23-2018, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:

I truly believe you are smart enough to get my point, but you know it is valid and have no logical rebuttal so you resort to deflections.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Are you going to deny that the number of school shootings is not increasing? Take a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Does a greatly increased frequency of shootings make it better now, or were things better when there were far fewer shootings?

The frequency is increasing, so obviously something has changed.Firearms like handguns and the AR 15 have bee available for decades, so it's not the firearms. Obviously society has changed, and the students are a part of society. So you can either deal with the root cause , and try to reduce the problem. or you can ignore the root cause and try and deal with the results of these changes in society by controlling the means , rather than the root cause. Which approach do you think will be more effective?
Your generation is just as responsible for the root cause as the present and maybe even more. Your word root implies that the cause it not just in the present.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I truly believe you are smart enough to get my point, but you know it is valid and have no logical rebuttal so you resort to deflections.
and I truly believe that you know you are the one that always delects
Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Your generation is just as responsible for the root cause as the present and maybe even more. Your word root implies that the cause it not just in the present.
I am not denying that, of course the adults made the decisions that led us to this point. But that doesn't change the fact, that the best solution is to deal with the root cause, rather than the symptoms of the problems.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
and I truly believe that you know you are the one that always delects
So using an example is now deflecting?

Tell me, does banning something eliminate the problems it causes?
Old 02-23-2018, 10:56 AM

This is why a person should know something about firearms, before demanding that certain firearms be banned.

https://www.facebook.com/TheNewRevol...1658758924164/
Old 02-23-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
This is why a person should know something about firearms, before demanding that certain firearms be banned.

Well that’s Interesting, and here all these years I’ve been duck huntin with a AR and didn’t even know it.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:07 PM
Banned

This is a must watch.

5 myths about AR-15s.

https://youtu.be/f0WgYfqgoHQ
Old 02-23-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:

That is really hilarious, but how is it related to this topic?
Old 02-23-2018, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

Haha. To what levels will they stoop.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
That is really hilarious, but how is it related to this topic?
The topic is gun control in the USA, and one thing that many people want to do, as far as gun control is concerned, is to ban the AR-15.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
The topic is gun control in the USA, and one thing that many people want to do, as far as gun control is concerned, is to ban the AR-15.
Are you suggesting that there are people involved in this thread that do not know what an AR-15 is
Old 02-23-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that there are people involved in this thread that do not know what an AR-15 is
Obviously the people at NBC don't know what an AR-15 is. And they aren't the only ones, as soon as AR-15 is mentioned the people without a clue start using the term "assault rifle"". Unfortunately, many people really have no clue about firearms, so they don't question what the media is telling them