Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-03-2017, 04:59 PM

Default Best flip up scope covers?

I have tried Butler creeks but was not the biggest fan. Anyone have any luck with other brands out there and willing to share experiences and recommendations?
Old 07-03-2017, 05:11 PM

What didn't you like about them?
I'm thinking of getting some this year, and am also interested in people's experiences with them.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:18 PM

I have butler creek flip caps that I purchased over ten years ago on hunting rifles that get regular hard hunting use and are still going strong. On the other hand all the flip caps I have purchased within the last 2-3 years haven't made it a full hunting season without breaking at the hinge. Seems to me like quality has gone down the last few years. I continue to use the older ones but won't buy any new ones.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:26 PM

I have a butler creek on my Titanium since 2002 and have never had any problems. It has been on many sheep hunts.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:28 PM

Maybe quality in butler creeks were better in the past. The ones I bought last year had issues closeing, with hinges etc
Old 07-03-2017, 05:38 PM

I walked through some willow with a little snow on them, my rifle slung my shoulder an elk stepped out all I could see was white I frantically tried to clear it as the elk disappeared into the forest. Since then all my scoped hunting rifles have a Butler creek on the front, nothing on the back because I almost always hunt with a ball cap when you flip up the back cover its hits my hat. Haven't had issues with quality
Old 07-03-2017, 06:53 PM

Default Leupold

If it's for a leupold it's hard to beat the alumina covers. Pricey but worth every penny I think. Aluminum, with magnetic closure. Plus they thread in instead of slip over.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:55 PM

There is not a lot of choice but what's out there I use Butler creek.

It seems their quality has slipped as of late and not quite the same as the 70s and 80s Maybe made in China now ???
Old 07-03-2017, 07:14 PM

Got rid of the flip ups... Try a neoprene scope cover. Protects the complete scope, quick and quiet to remove. I wouldn't go back to flip ups now!!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Got rid of the flip ups... Try a neoprene scope cover. Protects the complete scope, quick and quiet to remove. I wouldn't go back to flip ups now!!
I tried those, seem to work if your using high sets of scope rings/bases. The neoprene makes it hard for the bolt to come back and forward on my wifes rifle
Old 07-03-2017, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
If it's for a leupold it's hard to beat the alumina covers. Pricey but worth every penny I think. Aluminum, with magnetic closure. Plus they thread in instead of slip over.
Yep. I flinched a little when I bought them, but they are worlds better than butler creeks.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:45 PM

I have recently put a couple sets of the Vortex brand. They seem stronger and have a lifetime warranty on them if they break. The one thing I have noticed is that they are bulkier than the Butler Creek ones.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
That is what I have gone to.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
Those lens covers are almost reason enough to buy Leupold.

Still waiting for Zeiss to go that way.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Scopeshield are the bomb. I've been slowly outfitting each of my rifles/scopes with these. One quick tug and it pops right off and is attached to the rifle so no worry about loosing it in the woods. Keeps snow/ rain/ frost off the lenses and protects the whole scope tube from rubs/ light knocks. Fantastic product from my experience.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Scopeshield are the bomb. I've been slowly outfitting each of my rifles/scopes with these. One quick tug and it pops right off and is attached to the rifle so no worry about loosing it in the woods. Keeps snow/ rain/ frost off the lenses and protects the whole scope tube from rubs/ light knocks. Fantastic product from my experience.
I had the browning neoprene ones, they were 2 piece setups and was not a fan! They tore due to how they attach. I may look at trying one of these
Old 07-03-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Do you use the regular or 3mm ones?
Old 07-03-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
That is what I have gone to.
Same.

The flip ups are only on the 22 now, every center fire has a scope cover.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:02 PM
Banned

Personally, I prefer the rubber bikini covers.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Do you use the regular or 3mm ones?
Just the regular ones so far. Just measure your scope and get the correct length. Easy peasy. I've seen the two piece types they look like they would be slow to pop off if a quick shot was needed. Scopeshield covers are as quick as pulling the tab and snapping it off. With practice I can snap it off while coming up to my eye for a shot so it's almost no difference snap shooting with one on or not. I do like the ability to put a small drop chart in my flip caps though.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Just the regular ones so far. Just measure your scope and get the correct length. Easy peasy. I've seen the two piece types they look like they would be slow to pop off if a quick shot was needed. Scopeshield covers are as quick as pulling the tab and snapping it off. With practice I can snap it off while coming up to my eye for a shot so it's almost no difference snap shooting with one on or not. I do like the ability to put a small drop chart in my flip caps though.
Ordering one for my new sako right now! thanks!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:06 PM

Tenebraex
Old 07-03-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post
Tenebraex
x2,
especially for scopes (like NF) where the eyepiece rotates with magnification change control,
objective cover threads into scope / sunshade.
IIRC US$40 /ea.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 07-04-2017, 07:54 AM

What ever happen to the days, of using a piece of car tire tube, and just letting it flick off, when need to take a shot, also good for light a fire, and a single tire tube, makes a several dozen.

I haven't found a set of scope covers yet that, are perfect,
Mostly I don't use one, and if I am in very wet conditions, I use a piece of tube,
Swarovski scopecover seam to work ok.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
I have tried Butler creeks but was not the biggest fan. Anyone have any luck with other brands out there and willing to share experiences and recommendations?
I have never had problem with Butler Creek.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:57 PM

I've had flip up caps that were solid black plastic, which I forgot were on, I had a quick opportunity to take a shot at a deer and couldn't shoot cause I forgot they were on, missed my chance.

Missed an opportunity on a decent sized elk the other year, was in thick bush carrying on my shoulder without caps and the front filled with snow.

Now I use a transparent front flip up, it was cheap and found on eBay, I think I bought a couple of them and they work well so far
Old 07-04-2017, 04:37 PM

The only time I've ever had a problem with the Butler Creek ones is when its -25 - -30. The plastic cracks really easy when its really cold. Thankfully I shoot Leupold predominantly and they have the best flip covers in the game. I'll use a neoprene cover for anything not Leupold.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:30 PM

I shoot mostly leupolds - certainly not for the optics. I choose them because they have many options, have a warranty depot in alberta if ever the need and their flip ups are the best option currently available.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:31 PM

I also have Tenebraex on my NF scopes, plus just the reg rubber bikini type, must also add that I have some of the Vortex heavy duty caps and like the way they lock back flush out of the way, also if you add a zip tie around the rubber part they never come off, very nice caps and tough.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:33 PM

Another vote for leupold alumina, and the vx6 line is great glass in my opinion,