Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 04:41 PM

Default Using Alberta outfitters

Seems to me more and more guys are using outfitters these days for hunts. I was planning on booking some waterfowl hunts this year for some residents and duck hunts and it seems a lot of people have interest for a short notice type hunt.
One thing I have noticed is there are a lot of new hunters that are mostly interested or real busy types.
I can say I have hired an outfitter myself in Alberta when I had a tag that took a long time to get and it was important to have some help from someone who knew the area well.
Curious if many of you have used them in the past and for what species and why did you choose to hire someone?
Old 07-27-2018, 05:09 PM

I hired an Alberta outfitter twice to hunt bighorn, because I don't have horses or the required tent and gear, and I didn't want to spend the vacation time I had spotting. I took a 9-1/2 year old ram on the first hunt, and I turned down legal sheep on the second hunt looking for a larger ram, than I had already taken. At the time, resident sheep hunts were going for $3500-$4000 for a ten day hunt, but the same outfitter now charges $10,000 for a seven day hunt.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:31 PM

Haven’t yet, but here’s why I’m thinking about it for an elk hunt next year:
a) I’m jinxed re: elk (0/11, no shots fired)
b) with the price of fuel and food I spend just as much or more scouting myself, with more time limits, less accomplished, and less permission.

There was a time I would have scoffed at the idea, because I could hunt close to home, or away, with 20+ scouting days and 50-60 hunting days every year. Now that’s changed and I can see why it’s an attractive option.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:47 PM
Banned

I have never used one and I am not a sheep hunter, but I can see someone booking an outfitter for that.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:31 PM

A lot of guys in AB with money and lack of time. Don’t have time to scout goose shoots or train horses or lion hounds. Hiring an outfitter is a great option.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:51 PM

You are 100% right. One of the difficulties in Alberta surrounds the fact that an outfitter cannot sell an allocation to a resident. When I outfitted I had several guys that just wanted to be able to pay me for the complete deal but could not because of the regulation. I understand the idea that opening it up for residents to buy a hunt that way is allowing the rich guy to jump the cue ,but that also removes a guy from the competition which allows another not so rich guy a chance to draw a tag. It also allows an outfitter to BUDGET for a better business. (something NDP`ers wouldn`t understand). The current allocation system simply creates a ton of hard feelings between guys that all have one thing in common ,A Love for Hunting.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:51 AM

I would consider hiring a local outfitter for bird hunting, and would love to do a cougar hunt with hounds.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:07 PM

I have used an outfitter for a goat hunt. I am also an outfitter myself. Why should outfitters be restricted to crown land only? Not following that logic.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCL View Post
I have used an outfitter for a goat hunt. I am also an outfitter myself. Why should outfitters be restricted to crown land only? Not following that logic.
It is common knowledge that some private land is locked down to outfitters through illegal ways. Hard to prove though.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
It is common knowledge that some private land is locked down to outfitters through illegal ways. Hard to prove though.
It’s common knowledge residents hunt through illegal ways. What’s your point?
Old 08-10-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
the point is that residents that pay for land access are generally not profiting from it. outfitters do.

hypothetical of course, if it is happening,,,,,
Old 08-10-2018, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
For starters, nobody asked about resident hunters. My response was to a specific question about outfitters on private land. To explain my point, some want private unavailable to outfitters for the reason I mentioned. But, you knew that and just wanted to stir the pot.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:38 AM

I have. Used one for an elk and went with a bighorn outfitter. We got my elk and was a great hunt. the bighorn hunt we were not successful, but had a wonderful trip and unreal experience. Opened my eyes to a few things and showed me that i'm the problem, not the lack of sheep. haha. His eyes and knowledge were incredible and we saw tons of sheep and game that i never would have found.
Closed Thread