Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-31-2012, 01:10 PM

Default Rant: St.Croix Premier Ice Rods

Last week, I picked up the St.Croix ice rod, 36" in MedHeavy. Got out a couple times to pike fish and caught only a couple smaller ones. Loved how it handled and all... That is, till the tip just snapped off when I was pulling the line down to test the drag!!! Yea, don't think I'll be buying St.Croix again... Just my own opinion and a rant. Thnx for coming out.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Banned

You're not alone. DK snapped his new fenwick in half on day one.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_rice_man View Post
Last week, I picked up the St.Croix ice rod, 36" in MedHeavy. Got out a couple times to pike fish and caught only a couple smaller ones. Loved how it handled and all... That is, till the tip just snapped off when I was pulling the line down to test the drag!!! Yea, don't think I'll be buying St.Croix again... Just my own opinion and a rant. Thnx for coming out.
Take it back with the receipt and tell the store you want an exchange or refund as this one was defective.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 PM

Yep... take it back... remember during shipping and handling...things happen. Also some rods are out for everyone to handle before they buy and on more than one occasion i have seen people mishandle rods and bend them in ways they shouldnt be.

St.Croix everything for me.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post

St.Croix everything for me.
You don't even fish!!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:41 PM

Yup snapped my fenwick first outing. Gonna be going to wholesale tonight and exchanging it
Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Interesting the only ice rod I use is the St Croix. Been using for 5 yrs never a problem.

I have 4 St Croix but also have a few of the ice rod ugly sticks which I find good for big pike fishn but have caught plenty of big fish with the St Croix.

Send it back sounds like you just got a bad one.

IT HAPPENS
Old 12-31-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
unfortunate. great ice rods though. things happen. i'd wouldn't shy away from looking into a replacement and continue enjoying the way the rod handled your fish prior to you breaking it. they're not a cheap rod.

Dace
Old 12-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned

With any line of graphite rods this will happen once in awhile. I've had rods break while testing the action in the store. The only way to get away from it IMO is to go with fiberglass, the Berkley Lightning ice rods in particular are very nice glass rods.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Stop your whining
Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 PM

I've heard great things about them, hence why I got it. I will try it for an exchange first, crossing my fingers! Not sure if they have any more though... Was the last one I picked up when the shipment first came in.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Stop your whining
Your rod locker might come with a surprise inside...
Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
HAHA....

How did you guys do today......ABout as crappy as we had at newell Saturday.......
Old 12-31-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Hopefully something I can use for bait....Live or dead...Your choice..LOL
Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
You don't even fish!!
Thats right
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Hopefully something I can use for bait....Live or dead...Your choice..LOL
Lump of coal. Try soaking it in water first to hydrate it and put it on a hook with flouro leader.

No, it was slow today. Lost a nice one at the hole. We didn't spend prime time at the location though.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 PM

I got the clam ice spooler rod with the flyfishing reel for Christmas.... We were using it with the automatic fisherman tip up and we were setting it up and whammo! the tip broke off of it. So okay we went back to bass pro exchanged it with no problems, got another one, and the same dang thing happened! The tip itself on it is very thin, but they both broke off and we hardly even bended them to get them onto the automatic fisherman, so we went today and got a refund for that rod and I got a new walleye weapon rod, its a much stiffer rod with a thicker tip so i'm hoping this one doesn't break too! lol
Old 12-31-2012, 09:30 PM

If the store you bought em from won't do anything for you, contact the manufacturer.

Fenwick is awesome....to the guy that broke his. I contacted Fenwick a while back when i broke one and they sent me a new one....NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Interesting the only ice rod I use is the St Croix. Been using for 5 yrs never a problem.

I have 4 St Croix but also have a few of the ice rod ugly sticks which I find good for big pike fishn but have caught plenty of big fish with the St Croix.

Send it back sounds like you just got a bad one.

IT HAPPENS
Graphite rods are funny things, my wife has an el cheapo Berkley Cherywood that has been fished hard for about 10 years, while I have broken about a half a dozen more expencive rods in that same time.

On the other hand I've been using a MH Rapala ice rod for about 5 years with no problems. In that time I've seen a few Rapala rods break under normal use and have seen a fair amount of complaints about them on AO and other forums. More bad reviews than good ones it seems. About the only way around this, like I said before, is fiberglass content. As you seem to have discovered as well. Graphite rods are an unpredictable variable.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 AM

I'm sure they would. The Fishing Hole has always been good to me. Just hope they have one in stock!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:50 PM

i bought a medium and med/heavy fenwich at wss seem fine so far but i have not caught anything big yet.. hopefully soon. just trout in 10 to 14 inch range good luck on your next purchase
Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 PM

Default Rapala rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Graphite rods are funny things, my wife has an el cheapo Berkley Cherywood that has been fished hard for about 10 years, while I have broken about a half a dozen more expencive rods in that same time.

On the other hand I've been using a MH Rapala ice rod for about 5 years with no problems. In that time I've seen a few Rapala rods break under normal use and have seen a fair amount of complaints about them on AO and other forums. More bad reviews than good ones it seems. About the only way around this, like I said before, is fiberglass content. As you seem to have discovered as well. Graphite rods are an unpredictable variable.
No more Rapala rods for me, Ive had two break on me while playing fish, under what I would consider normal use. In the first case, the reel seat broke while I was playing my PB pike at Wabamun, I held the reel in place on the rod and managed to land the fish ( 20 lb 5 oz, on the digital).The other one broke midpoint while I was attempting to get a 20+" rainbows head up into the hole. Broke the rod, then my line and then my heart. Im going out to see if i can break the St Croix that Santa gave me this weekend! Wish me luck!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 PM
pelada trochu

My mh fenwick is in its second season. Took one approx 12 lb pike on it.

Thumbs up. St croix looked good to me. But one good scratch on graphite and its all over.

Maybe try another one.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 PM

i went to WSS and they wouldnt exchange it cause it wasnt manufacturer defect, it was me breaking it.

i have the fenwick mediums thinking about whether or not i should get medium heavy....