Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-17-2010, 07:12 PM

Default federal fusion .300 wsm 165 gr ????

Buddy of mine thru me some of this ammo to try out on the weekend!!! Got it dialed in and it performs really really well on paper!! This stuff is just as accurate as my own loads but how the heck does it perform in the field!! My SAVAGE is real picky on ammo and I have not had any luck at all with federal ammunition for this calibre!! But If I can get this ammo for around $40 bucks a box why the heck not!!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:04 PM

I rarely shoot factory ammo, but a few years ago I shot a few boxes of the 165gr. Fusion through my 06. It shot well, and the two whitetails I shot with it died quickly. The bullets went through, and meat damage wasn't bad. The shots were in the ribs though, and no big bone or thick tissue was hit. So I can't tell you for sure how well the bullets hold up. They shot well, and the deer died.

The 140gr. Fusions also shoot well in my brothers 7-08.

I'd like to try reloading them if they become available. I understand that Speer is making them. The word I hear is the hot-core bullet is to be dropped, and the fusion bullets are to take the place. This is just internet rumour I read though....
Old 02-17-2010, 11:18 PM

They are quite a good game bullet as well. Will kill anything that you care to shoot with it!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 AM

Those Fusions shot really well out of a Winchester .270 WSM Classic Sporter I just sold recently. Only killed paper with them though, I never took a critter with that particular rifle.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:00 PM

I've shot the fusion 180 gr. in 300wsm. Grouped well in my savage and took two deer with it. Both were shot broadside just behind the shoulder. One ran approximately 35 yds. and the other ran 50 before dropping. Small entries and loonie size exits after hitting ribs on both sides. I cant complain, the deer weren't DRT, but they didn't go far and they left a hell of a bloodtrail. Also, the bullets didn't expand so rapidly as to destroy unnecessary amounts of meat. I'll walk 50 extra yards to save some steaks! 180's would probably be better on the bigger stuff and I'm confident the 165's will perform well for you on deer sized game if you can get them to group well enough in your gun.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 AM

I whacked a big WT with a 25-06 120 gr Fusion this year (first for the gun) at a lasered 214 meters and it made one jump and piled up in a heap. Minimal meat damage but a lot of blood etc in the tissue under the hide. High end Federal ammo did not group nearly as well as the Fusions. One of the chaps at the WSS south had a machine that checks the contour of bullets and the Fusions had better results than most of the more expensive stuff. Stinky Coyote had a great blurb on them last year or thereabouts.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:36 AM

They are a bonded bullet, so I'd say use em on anything, they should hold together well. I've never used them on anything myself, but I wouldn't hesitate if that's what I had on hand.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:05 PM

These Fusions in 165g in .30-06 flatten both deer I shot with them. One was 75 yds and the other was 200 yds. A kick and layed down. These also came recommended from the sales guy at the WSS I went to. I was skeptical, they shot well, then tried them and I'm impressed. They must have a massive internal shock value to them.

Retrieved one bullet on the exit side just under the hide. Didn't go through but was a perfect mushroom and held together well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fusion bullet 2.pdf (25.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf fusion bullet 1.pdf (239.1 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Austin; 02-22-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:19 PM

I use them in my 270 win I typically reload but for the price and accuracy they can't be beat!
Set my grandfathers 308 up with these in 180's and he shot a bull moose at just over 300 yards complete pass through!!!

My 300 WSM didn't like the 180's I bought for it too much but I just picked up a couple boxes to break it in!!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180+ View Post
Buddy of mine thru me some of this ammo to try out on the weekend!!! Got it dialed in and it performs really really well on paper!! This stuff is just as accurate as my own loads but how the heck does it perform in the field!! My SAVAGE is real picky on ammo and I have not had any luck at all with federal ammunition for this calibre!! But If I can get this ammo for around $40 bucks a box why the heck not!!
Took a poke at coyote 200 odd yards away this morning!!! I am hoping I do not have the same result on deer and moose as I evaporated him!! Never quite seen anything like it before!! he was facing me and he did about 4 cartwheels!! I usually use my .243 on coyotes so maybe this was way too much gun!!