Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Default Fishing the Bow

Hey guys,

So I'm relatively new to fishing down in southern Alberta, and am looking to get into fishing the bow. I bought a fly rod last summer, and took a fly fishing class and am struggling with that. Not quite ready to give up on that yet, but am looking for suggestions on tackling the river with spincasting rod.

Really not sure what sort of lures to use as I am used to targeting pike and walleye up in northen lakes.

Mainly I'm just looking for some good old catch and release fishing without having to drive too far from the city.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Old 08-13-2013, 04:25 PM

Buzz Bombs and Countdown Rapalas are popular with spinfishermen. Try starting at Fish Creek Park or some of the other locations downstream from there.

If you get the hang of flyfishing, a typical set up is floating line using a large San Juan worm (partially for weight) and a dropper fly of some sort, such as a prince nymph. The key to this kind of set up is learning how to mend your line so your flies are bouncing along the bottom of the river.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:30 PM

Thanks, I'll wait for a few more responses and try to get my hand on some of this and then hopefully try this out after work this week and let you know the results!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Banned

A CD-7 trout pattern rapala is prob the easiest way to get started spin fishing the bow.

get some really small swivels and tie one onto your mainline.

tie on some 10-20lb mono, 2-3' long as a leader.

put another swivel on the split ring on your rap and you are set.

do a stop and go retrieve so that you can feel the action of the lure, as close to the bottom as you can.

bring a net.

post pics
Old 08-13-2013, 06:05 PM

I would recommend for flyfishing cut your teeth on a smaller water than the bow. It's worth the time working on your fundamentals and your flyfishing skills on smaller creeks and rivers where you will actually catch fish early on. The bow is an awesome fishery (for someone with some experience) but I have seen more than one give up on flyfishing as that's the only place they ever tried and they didn't catch anything in several outings.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Bee!

Slough, I totally agree, I have been attempting to practice on smaller still bodies, with fewer obstacles. (Grotto pond, and sibbald lake) and have had nothing but troubles. Even brought the dingy out and tried from there free from the tree's and bank, and still managed to get myself in quite the mess. Might have to look at a refresher course or finding a friend to go with.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 AM

I did my beginner fly-fishing course through country pleasures fly shop in Calgary, they are great to deal with. I remember seeing on their website that they do hour long casting refreshers, might be something to look into.

I agree in starting on smaller waters as well, the bow can be a cruel mistress. I almost quit because I only fly-fished the bow for my first year and a half., once I started fishing smaller streams my opinion changed as I started hooking into more fish. Watching youtube videos on different techniques also helped a lot, stick with it! It's a blast once you figure it out, I'm never going back to spin fishing
Old 08-14-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory1 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions Bee!

Slough, I totally agree, I have been attempting to practice on smaller still bodies, with fewer obstacles. (Grotto pond, and sibbald lake) and have had nothing but troubles. Even brought the dingy out and tried from there free from the tree's and bank, and still managed to get myself in quite the mess. Might have to look at a refresher course or finding a friend to go with.
If you're having issues with your cast honestly the beat thing as dumb as it deals is practice in a field without a fly on. Should take care of the kinks in no time. Then start with very small flies when your fishing. The lighter the fly the easier to cast
Old 08-14-2013, 01:20 PM

Thanks Jreed - i'll take a look into them later this afternoon.

Thanks Ids, - I have heard to try without a fly, and both with a fly, but cut the hook off. Any idea which is best?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 PM

Just tie something light and small like a little yarn onto the end of your leader. If you are having issues with your cast I can almost guarantee it is one of 2 things, you're not waiting long enough on your back cast or your waving your rod around way to much, kinda going 9 and 3 rather than where you should be somewhere between 10 and 2 and 11 and 1. From there it is all about practising delivery of the fly and delivering the right fly.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:34 PM

Tried a stretch of the bow along fish creek for about 2 hours on Wednesday, tried a varieties of rapela's/buzz bombs, and then swapped to a silver and blue Cyclops spoon, and had weak hit on there, but it didn't stay on too long.

Will likely be out there this weekend at some point, and will keep you guys posted on the progress!

Thanks for the responses!