Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 PM

Default Fishing Vancouver Island near Victoria!

Hi great people of AOF!

I will be on the island for a week at the end of the month and I'm looking for my best fishing options. I will actually be in Sidney and will have wheels. So I can get around.

I am looking for a guide that will help me have a great day in the area! I have never fished the island.

So my thoughts are maybe fly-fish the Cowichan or a similar lake, river in the area. I have all the gear needed I just don't know the rivers...

Or

Hire a guide for Salmon, Halibut etc on the open water... Not sure how the fishing is in the area or even what is fishing this time of the year.

Thanks for any feedback!

Stopherson

What would you do? Who would you talk to for outfitters?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 PM

You'll have a great time!

I lived in Sidney in 1995, there's plenty of fishing nearby.

At the end of Beacon (mainstreet) there is a dock with a fish processing plant. They drop all the fish refuse into the ocean, so the crabbing is amazing off of that dock - mainly Red Rock Crab. I have also caught dogfish, rockfish, and perch off of that dock.

To explore another dock, head toward Victoria on Lochside drive until you get to James Island Rd, turn east. At the end of that road there is another dock, with Dungeness crab. Same fish as the Sidney dock.

Once you get to Victoria, head to Dallas road and find the Breakwater near the marina. Walk out on the breakwater around the corner, and fish off the end. Salmon, and massive Ling cod can be caught there. Fish the edge of the kelp forests, with bait, for the Ling. Basically a strong pickerel rig, and heavy 5-6 oz weight. I snapped off on a monster there about 8 years ago, must have been a big ling.

To fish Chinook salmon, big spoons with blue and silver. Use a long rod and cast as far as you can. The pinks will take anything pink; spoons or spinners. The coho seem to like blue and green. You can also cast buzz bombs. Glow, green, pink or blue. Cast it waaaay out, and jig-retrieve it. Lower your rod tip to the water at 3:00, then snap your rod tip up to 12:00. as you lower your rod tip back to the water, let the lure flutter and reel in. The salmon will hit the buzz bombs as they flutter fall while you jig it in. Move it fast! Salmon are predators, and do not eat dead fish. They are used to working for their dinner.

You don't need to get a charter. Follow the directions above and I am certain you will catch fish.

Good luck, welcome to the board, and post pictures of your success when you get back!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:01 PM

Wow, simply thanks for taking the time to give such great advice.

I have a friend with a place out there and have been thinking of buying a crab pot for the dock on Beacon, you have now confirmed what I need to do.

I will take all your advice and see what I can come up with!

Any thoughts on the fly rod and rivers/creeks/lakes in the area?

Cheers and thanks again, I follow these forms everyday. I don't post but love to read everything fishing!

Stopherson
Old 08-15-2013, 11:31 PM

sadly i dont know much of the rivers and lakes near victoria but i know the campbell river area and hopefully i can help a bit in general. if the salmon are running in the rivers fly gear can be a lot of fun. your best bet would be pink salmon. for pinks use small pink or chartreuse streamers fished right at the bottom of deep pools. the salmon rest in the pools before going up river and as long as you can get anything pink in front of their face your golden.
as for trout i can only tell you my favorite "go to" for rivers was various rolled muddlers and muddler minnows as well as some fairly dark colored stimulators.
i would give island outfitters a call they have a fishing report on their website and im sure they would love to help you on your quest.
if you find yourself down the campbell river way i can try to get you in contact with a very good guide down there. just check out seaJcharters. carl is one of the best guides campbell river has in my humble opinion.
good luck
Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 AM

If you want to catch big trout Elk lake and beaver lake just down the road have bigs ones in there as well as bass and huge carp, Langford lake also has huge cutthroat and rainbows as well as bass in that lake, cowachin river is also good big browns and steel can be caught there. Not sure if rivers and streams in the area have seasonal closures.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:12 PM

Thanks Tikka and BGSH,

I don't think I'll make it up to Campbell river this trip but will keep it in mind for my next journey!!

I will definitely check out the lake suggested.

Thanks a ton!

Stopherson