Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-12-2008, 11:21 AM

Default Gull &/or Sylvan Report

Just looking for an update on people that have been to Gull or Sylvan. I am heading out there tomorrow and was wondering which lake was procuding the best for whites.

thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:47 PM
TundraBuck

Talked to my brother, fished at RR23 today and nailed whitefish, got his limit all over 20 inches.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:34 PM

how deep was he fishing and was he jigging or using wire worms?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:17 AM
TundraBuck

Told me about 21 ft of water, using wireworms and a slipbobber.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:03 PM

Default sylvan

I tried Gull from 8Am till about 1 in the after noon and I have to say that that lake sucks. I have been there over half a dozen times in the last couple years and the most I ever caught was 4 fish. I went ther yesterday and the lake was murky and I only even saw 3 fish all that time.
I went to Sylvan and got there at 2:30 and before dark I had caught 15 whites and a burbot. Big difference than at ull. The fish were a lot smaller than you would get at gull but at least you have some action. I saw tons of them that didn't take the hook as well and one othe Burbot that didn't take.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:10 PM
jrs

"lake was murky"

Sorry to hear you had a slow day Nube. I haven't tried either lake but was leaning towards Gull for next weekend based solely on the fact its a bit further from town, may have to try Sylvan instead, even one day after work.

Is that lake (Gull) normally murky or is the burbot spawn starting up? I'd like to get a meal of burbot this winter, haven't got out for them yet.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:05 PM
TundraBuck

Burbot spawn won't start up til March. Nube is right, Sylvan is always better action but Gull has way better quality fish. Went to Gull today with the brother and we caught a ton of fish, you must be doing something wrong or fishing in the wrong place nube! We fished the northwest corner, and my son caught a 43 inch pike, I caught a 37, a 35, my son caught a 32, and my brother, nephew, and son caught a few smaller as well. That was just pike. We caught 4 burbot, biggest was 8 pounds, smallest was about 3. We also caught 1 walleye, 8 perch (smallest was 8 inches biggest was 13) and 6 whitefish, all over 3 lbs. I think that was a good day. No one fishing near us for at least half a mile.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
Burbot spawn won't start up til March. Nube is right, Sylvan is always better action but Gull has way better quality fish. Went to Gull today with the brother and we caught a ton of fish, you must be doing something wrong or fishing in the wrong place nube! We fished the northwest corner, and my son caught a 43 inch pike, I caught a 37, a 35, my son caught a 32, and my brother, nephew, and son caught a few smaller as well. That was just pike. We caught 4 burbot, biggest was 8 pounds, smallest was about 3. We also caught 1 walleye, 8 perch (smallest was 8 inches biggest was 13) and 6 whitefish, all over 3 lbs. I think that was a good day. No one fishing near us for at least half a mile.
thats a good day, mixed bag havent had one like that for a while!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:08 PM
TundraBuck

Me either, don't fish those lakes too often as I live in Rocky and have plenty of fishing around here, but it was a nice treat and will be doing it again soon! Would you be interested in potentially doing a trip out to Goldeye and some of those lakes up the trunk road brett?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
I would have like to have seen that.................seems like my 5 Northerns all over 30" but under 31" and my 3 Burbots and my 1 Walleye that was lost right in the hole and my 7 perch (the smallest being 7" and the biggest being 12") and my 5 Whitefish all under 3lbs..........HAVE BEEN BEATEN, i can't believe it?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 PM

talked to my old man today. He went and fished the north end of sylvan this morning and him and his buddy limited out in an hour on whitefish, wire worm no maggot. He said the fish were just driving the wire worm and would get a new hit evey 5 mins or so. we are gonna go tomorrow and check it out again!