Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Default Crawling

Went out to Crawling yesterday. Rolled up right at sunrise. By the time the third hole was drilled, we had an 18 inch walleye landed. The bite was good until about 10ish. Died off quickly but we did continue to see fish on the camera. Ended up landing 4 pike and 2 walleye. We were fishing the islands on the west side by the rock pile on the shore. Most of the fish we seen and caught were in 11 - 12 feet of water. There is a weed edge where we were at about 9 feet. We spotted walleye on the camera at 12 feet all day. They just didn't seem to be interested. I would suggest getting there well before sunrise as the bite seemed to be in full swing when we arrived.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 PM

Was there alot of vehicles on the lake? Also when you drilled your holes did any shrimp come up after drilling a whole? Thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 09:45 PM

Default Shrimp

The lake did have some traffic. We had the islands all to ourselves with the exception of one other guy. There was a few shrimp that came up and we were seeing them all day on the camera. May I ask why?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:19 PM

when my wife and i go ice fishing anywhere and see those shrimp come up after drilling a hole, she thinks its a good spot. I tell her any spot is good as long as your not working. Some lakes have more shrimp than others and i think crawling is loaded. Anyways she thinks that where the shrimp are the fish are.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinerfisher View Post
when my wife and i go ice fishing anywhere and see those shrimp come up after drilling a hole, she thinks its a good spot. I tell her any spot is good as long as your not working. Some lakes have more shrimp than others and i think crawling is loaded. Anyways she thinks that where the shrimp are the fish are.
Actually I believe your "shrimp" are scuds.Just for your info.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Actually I believe your "shrimp" are scuds.Just for your info.
I may stand corrected - they may be "gammarus" shrimp which are commonly known as a scud.