Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
Alcohol is legal, are you allowed to be impaired or drunk at work? I think not
And pot will supposedly soon be legal as well. And you have made my point for me, being drunk at work should be no different that driving drunk, just as being impaired by drugs at work,should be viewed the same as driving while impaired by drugs. So my question is why should random testing for drugs or alcohol at work be any different than a check stop looking for drivers impaired by alcohol or drugs?
Old 01-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And pot will supposedly soon be legal as well. And you have made my point for me, being drunk at work should be no different that driving drunk, just as being impaired by drugs at work,should be viewed the same as driving while impaired by drugs. So my question is why should random testing for drugs or alcohol at work be any different than a check stop looking for drivers impaired by alcohol or drugs?
You completely missed the point. They don't test for impairment they test for a metabolite that can remain in your system for upwards of 30 days.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
You completely missed the point. They don't test for impairment they test for a metabolite that can remain in your system for upwards of 30 days.
Yes unfortunately a standard marijuana test does not establish level of impairment or if impaired at all. All it tells is you have been exposed to marijuana smoke within the last month or two. If alcohol impairment tests worked the same as marijuana tests people would be getting impaired charges because they had a couple drinks a month before they got pulled over.

Until they have a test that shows the level of impairment all I can see is a lot of cases being thrown out of court.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Yes unfortunately a standard marijuana test does not establish level of impairment or if impaired at all. All it tells is you have been exposed to marijuana smoke within the last month or two. If alcohol impairment tests worked the same as marijuana tests people would be getting impaired charges because they had a couple drinks a month before they got pulled over.

Until they have a test that shows the level of impairment all I can see is a lot of cases being thrown out of court.
Ya, and that would sure leave a lot of guys on the job site, it ain’t a level playing field, it should be interesting to see how things progress this year.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:01 PM

I'd like to see how they will generate the random people to be tested? I wouldnt want it to be up to the supervisors to hand pick who they want to test.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 01-07-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
I'd like to see how they will generate the random people to be tested? I wouldnt want it to be up to the supervisors to hand pick who they want to test.
copied From post 112
"Alcohol has far less restrictions than Marijuana does ,but you still cannot be on an industrial site if you are using it or in possession of it and a dry camp means exactly that, whether that camp is owned by the client or the client is renting the rooms from an independent camp.

OH&S has already stated the acceptable levels for A&D testing will not change even if Marijuana is completely legal .
At this time it is very easy to get from a doctor a Marijuana certificate to buy and use it , but you still cannot be under the influence of that, alcohol, perkicets, Tylinal 3's or any other number of drugs besides alcohol while on an industrial work site.

Also, random testing does not mean a foreman or supervisor deciding if a worker will be tested, it is a computer generated list that is used.

A foreman or supervisor cannot simply decide that they are going to test a person " for just cause" , there are parameters involved there as well."
Cat
Old 01-07-2018, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
copied From post 112
"Alcohol has far less restrictions than Marijuana does ,but you still cannot be on an industrial site if you are using it or in possession of it and a dry camp means exactly that, whether that camp is owned by the client or the client is renting the rooms from an independent camp.

OH&S has already stated the acceptable levels for A&D testing will not change even if Marijuana is completely legal .
At this time it is very easy to get from a doctor a Marijuana certificate to buy and use it , but you still cannot be under the influence of that, alcohol, perkicets, Tylinal 3's or any other number of drugs besides alcohol while on an industrial work site.

Also, random testing does not mean a foreman or supervisor deciding if a worker will be tested, it is a computer generated list that is used.

A foreman or supervisor cannot simply decide that they are going to test a person " for just cause" , there are parameters involved there as well."
Cat
If that a direct copy and paste, I would suggest the authors get a new spell check program. If you just typed it, I can see mistakes happening.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termender View Post
If that a direct copy and paste, I would suggest the authors get a new spell check program. If you just typed it, I can see mistakes happening.
Those are trade names and the spell check does not pick them up and no it is not a cut and paste from somewhere else it is from my post if that is really important.

Cat
Old 01-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Banned

I agree with Cat and what he said about OH&S not changing it’s standard for impaired people. Anyone wasted on the job should be delft with accordingly. The fact of the matter is and the point I’m trying to make, only a small percentage of people are stupid enough to show up impaired at work. I’d love to see the actual numbers of people caught actually impaired at a place like the Suncore work sight. I’m sure it would be laughable at best. There is a very accurate swab test police are going to be using and has been around for quite some time so YES indeed there is a very accurate test for marijuana impairment. The employers and their insurance companies need to have a good talk about how they are going to deal with legal marijuana.It is a catch-22 really it will be legal and many people will now be using it becuase of that legal fact including me😁 fortunately for myself and if nothing changes with insurance companies or employers attitude on actual impairment I can say best of luck to you👍 You just lost a dedicated employee 😁
Old 01-09-2018, 06:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I agree with Cat and what he said about OH&S not changing it’s standard for impaired people. Anyone wasted on the job should be delft with accordingly. The fact of the matter is and the point I’m trying to make, only a small percentage of people are stupid enough to show up impaired at work. I’d love to see the actual numbers of people caught actually impaired at a place like the Suncore work sight. I’m sure it would be laughable at best. There is a very accurate swab test police are going to be using and has been around for quite some time so YES indeed there is a very accurate test for marijuana impairment. The employers and their insurance companies need to have a good talk about how they are going to deal with legal marijuana.It is a catch-22 really it will be legal and many people will now be using it becuase of that legal fact including me😁 fortunately for myself and if nothing changes with insurance companies or employers attitude on actual impairment I can say best of luck to you👍 You just lost a dedicated employee 😁

Quote:
Legal skunk weed I'm going to eat a brick of hash like a chocolate bar when it's legal to do so

Sorry for the derail...just sayin.
How long will you be impaired after you eat your brick of hash? A month or two?
Old 01-09-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
And with so many people looking for a good paying job, it may take days to replace the people that are willing to lose their job by failing a test if pot become a legal.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
copied From post 112

Cat
Not totally true.
Each company can have a different policy.
I can test my employees when ever I want.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I’d love to see the actual numbers of people caught actually impaired at a place like the Suncore work sight. I’m sure it would be laughable at best.

I’m sure there are many people on here who work for Suncor that could give you recent examples of other employees failing post incident testing but big companies, like Suncor, have media relations people for that kind of information and the average joe, especially if they are staff, would find themselves in a bit of trouble if they were talking about it on an open forum.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
but big companies, like Suncor, have media relations people for that kind of information and the average joe, especially if they are staff, would find themselves in a bit of trouble if they were talking about it on an open forum.
Exactly - in a lot of companies, there are often policies in place to protect the privacy of the affected personnel.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
An employer should have the freedom to maintain a zero tolerance for drugs and alcohol in the workplace. The employer should also be able to not allow smoking on site if he so chooses. As I posted previously, if you don't like the terms of employment, look elsewhere for a job. However, as I also posted previously, being that Trudeau is counting heavily on buying votes by legalizing pot, I would not be surprised to see the government getting involved.

Try telling that to a company that you are seeking employment with, and see where that gets you.
My home is not the workplace. Where I have a glass of wine with my steak while taking my wife out is not the workplace. the deck at my cabin on a summer evening where I like a glass of good scotch is not the workplace. I agree that there is no room for impairment in the workplace but there is no room for the employer dictating how people live their lives while not getting paid. Slavery went out of fashion decades ago.

They have my absolute undivided attention for the hours they are paying me. When i am on call and they are paying me to stay by the phone fine. But when they are not paying me they dont exist to me, just the same as I dont exist to them.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
And with so many people looking for a good paying job, it may take days to replace the people that are willing to lose their job by failing a test if pot become a legal.
I guess I care deferently than you are implying. What ever holds their hair back at that point, it makes no difference to me. I’m sure it would take less than a couple of days before someone replaces my mind your own business ways😁 maybe a nice young religious fellow can take the reigns 👍 Once again I’m all for testing active impairment. On another topic, Suncore already put the numbers out to the public and I bet less than two percent of those people were actually impaired. The only reason this issue is under scrutiny is becuase it has been studied so very well. Take all the other issues into factor that they don’t really care about such as body building and sports in general, over worked employees, lack of sleep and last but not the least lol that cheating old lady while your gone for weeks at a time. I’m going to coin the fraise right now, 😁 when I work for you😁 I am there mind, body and full attention. When I clock out, you work for me sucker and at that point I call the shots
Old 01-10-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Not totally true.
Obviously not covered by a Collective Agreement.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:52 AM

Seems to me that the other side of the coin is key. Who is working that wants their life put at risk because of someone else's impairment.

If there is no test for pot that can prove impairment then abstinence is the only option.

If people don't want the job and drugs or alcohol is more important...find a different career.

Safety has to be paramount and any constructive ideas to protect safety and in turn secondarily protect people's life choices then great.

It would not surprise me if at some point companies start offering bonuses for staff that agree to voluntary testing and get bonus for each passed test.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-10-2018, 11:37 AM

I have a friend, (how often have we heard that one), who was a long haul truck driver, and he told me he was on satellite, and they would give him an 1 hour notice in which to find a DR and pee in a bottle. They would recommend the DR which he had to appear before. Now I do not know if it was for drugs or alcohol.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Seems to me that the other side of the coin is key. Who is working that wants their life put at risk because of someone else's impairment.

If there is no test for pot that can prove impairment then abstinence is the only option.

If people don't want the job and drugs or alcohol is more important...find a different career.

Safety has to be paramount and any constructive ideas to protect safety and in turn secondarily protect people's life choices then great.

It would not surprise me if at some point companies start offering bonuses for staff that agree to voluntary testing and get bonus for each passed test.
People beat drug tests every day with urine kits. I'm sure they would be all for free money.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:53 PM
Banned

Something to prepare for😁. My boys have been playing with the saliva test kits the Alberta government has set the standard for road side testing which is 4ng. In the preliminary results if you smoke half a joint you will test positive up to TWELVE hours after consumption. This is just retarded! For me, I am able to preform intricate brain sergery at this point.

My views and thoughts are not directed at any person I associate with and I am savouring my temptations for liberation day😎 I use metaphors to express my point. There’s no way I’d call the man a sucker becuase he ain’t! It’s simply a point made in general to those employers who lock you in your locker when that buzzer rings at the end of your shift😁 sucker!
Old 01-10-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Not totally true.
Not if you are a member of the Construction Owners Association of Alberta who follow the Canadian Model for a Drug Free Workplace which Suncor andvother oil companies follow and that is who this thread is about
Cat
Old 01-10-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I guess I care deferently than you are implying. What ever holds their hair back at that point, it makes no difference to me. I’m sure it would take less than a couple of days before someone replaces my mind your own business ways😁 maybe a nice young religious fellow can take the reigns 👍 Once again I’m all for testing active impairment. On another topic, Suncore already put the numbers out to the public and I bet less than two percent of those people were actually impaired. The only reason this issue is under scrutiny is becuase it has been studied so very well. Take all the other issues into factor that they don’t really care about such as body building and sports in general, over worked employees, lack of sleep and last but not the least lol that cheating old lady while your gone for weeks at a time. I’m going to coin the fraise right now, 😁 when I work for you😁 I am there mind, body and full attention. When I clock out, you work for me sucker and at that point I call the shots
Your attention seems to be lacking every time you post about Suncor. There is no e in Suncor.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Your attention seems to be lacking every time you post about Suncor. There is no e in Suncor.
Whoopsy my bad. Although I support Alberta’s oil sands, Suncore is not a company I would ever work for so it does make sense that my lack of attention on how the name is spelled would have any correct representation. 😁

I’m guessing your the guy that goes home and blasts a large bat every night while expecting the rest of the average work force should be different? Or at the very least maybe has a cold beer? I guarantee you have 😎
Old 02-03-2018, 09:28 PM

I'll say this, I've worked turnarounds where dudes were clearly doing crack in the portapottys. I've had guys on my crew show up half liquored. I've worked with lots of guys who were hung over, and I cant stand any of the above in my workplace. I don't want to work with guys who are smoking weed at work. However, what people do on their own time is their business. If they come to work with a clear head and are not impaired, I'm not going to suggest how they spend their unpaid hours.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Well find a drug that last only 24 hours or get drunk on your day off,if you have it your system to bad so sad,hit the highway and go to work for yourself by yourself.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Not totally true.
Exactly, my sand box, my rules, dry camp etc....don't like it go work for a company in a sand box full of drunks and druggies. See how long you have your fingers, limbs or life.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-04-2018, 10:48 AM

A lot of prescription drugs people are on impair motor skills like no other. Anti depressants, pain meds etc... We are in a day and age where the majority of the population is impaired via legal scripts. Weed is the tip of the iceberg. Legal pharmaceuticals are never spoke of or worried about in our day to day processes. Ya know, if you are all worried about impairment at the work place and all. Be consistent in your thought process..