Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Cool Suppressors whats your thoughts to fight to get them legal in canada

:Would like to see what your thoughts are on legalizing suppressors in CANADA. I was looking into some complaints on gun shots or noise from shooting and I see great reviews from some of the states and UK that have them and made them legal. What seems to be the big issue on not ever seen suppressors brought into CANADA to be legalized. Just my theory but wouldn't it make sense to have a suppressed gun were people that get disturbed but don't care that you shoot they just don't like the noise or the anti-gun scum lol that make a fuss about the noise that guns make and they do!!. It just seems to be a very good thing to have. And fight for to get legalized
Old 03-06-2014, 10:54 AM

We can't even keep legal guns legal in Canukistan. I have no issue with them but I think there's a snowballs chance in Hades that it'll happen in my lifetime.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-06-2014, 10:56 AM

There won't be any coyote left in Alberta the week after suppressors get legal...
Old 03-07-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
There won't be any coyote left in Alberta the week after suppressors get legal...
Well, I don't know about where you hunt, but where I hunt they run as soon as they hear a vehicle. This is because everybody around there carries a gun and if they see a coyote, they shoot him. So the coyotes there are well trained and a suppressor wouldn't make a bit of difference as you still have to get close enough to them to actually take a shot.......lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
I have no issue with their use on ranges only.

For hunting...I feel that we have enough advantage over animals already and that loud bangs are a benefit from a safety perspective.

The fly in the ointment of course is that they would no doubt become very attractive to hoods and idiots... exposing us all to more bad press.
I agree 100% that they would be great to have at the range. I don't however see how having one on a hunting rifle would give a hunter an unfair advantage.

Let's say you're sitting in a blind and a deer you want to harvest walks into range. Your bullet is through him and gone before the sound ever makes it to him so where would the advantage be in that case?

If you drive around during the day looking for animals on a quad or in a truck, they'll hear your vehicle before you ever get out of it. So again, wher is the advantage to the hunter?

Yes, a loud bang can warn other folks that there's someone shooting in the area so I agree an unsuppressed rifle could be a safety factor.

I don't wear hearing protection in the field. So a suppressor in that sense would be helpful as it would save my already damaged hearing.

Not that I personally would want a suppressor on my hunting rifle while out in the field hunting. I wouldn't. I don't need the extra weight and length and in all honesty, the possible hearing damage from 1 or 2 shots isn't enough to matter.

As to the bad press aspect, well, that's why they're illegal now. Thanks to the BS in movies and TV and people's overactive imagination, the people that don't know any better think they make guns silent (ergo the incorrect term "silencer") and give criminals an advantage over cops. They do not in fact make guns silent (unless you're using subsonic rounds and then you can make your firearm almost completely silent....downside, your range is limited to a few feet or the bullet hits the ground before it hits the target........lol), but the same anti gun types don't care any more about the reality of a suppressor than they do about the reality that guns don't kill people.

FWIW, my brother is a LEO and a member of the tactical squad. He has taken sniper training and has a really, really, nice sniper rifle. He just informed me they now have suppressors on them. I can't wait to shoot it this summer and see how much it lowers the noise of a .308 I doubt it would be enough to allow me to remove my hearing protection under the roof over our shooting stands at the range. But it might allow you to do so out in the open. I guess we'll find out.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 09-17-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post

FWIW, my brother is a LEO and a member of the tactical squad. He has taken sniper training and has a really, really, nice sniper rifle. He just informed me they now have suppressors on them. I can't wait to shoot it this summer and see how much it lowers the noise of a .308 I doubt it would be enough to allow me to remove my hearing protection under the roof over our shooting stands at the range. But it might allow you to do so out in the open. I guess we'll find out.
I'm not singling you out, just borrowing your phrasing.
Folks need to know how loud firearms are still with a suppressor on them. There is no application of the term "silencer" when referring to these devices. They just muffle a portion of the muzzle blast, only a portion. They do nothing for the supersonic crack the projectile makes flying through the air.
The only way to lose that part is to use sub-sonic ammunition - it flies slower than the speed of sound barrier. Hence no CRACK sound. It also drops like a rock. I bought a .300 Blackout Rem SPS. The normal ammunition was fine, very accurrate. The subsonic dropped 14-16" at 100 yds over the POI from normal ammunition. At 200 yards, I couldn't even put it on the target board, much less the target.
The biggest complaint against Firing Ranges is the noise from the neighbours. Generally whom bought the property long after the range was founded. Their constant complaints get the range closed.Suppressors would lessen the firearms signature noise and reduce complaints.
I'd sure like to use them at the range, couldn't see myself using one while hunting. Possible exception of using a .22 on small game while scouting big game so as not to spook it. As a non-criminal, criminal record free citizen, I'd sure like to be able to choose what legal device/firearm I use. The criminals sure don't ask.
I can be trusted to drive a vehicle that weigh 90,000 lbs past a school full of little kids, but can't be trusted to safely use a firearm in the woods?
c'mon. RED cars kill more people in a month than firearms do in a year. How about we ban RED cars. For the sake of the children?
Old 09-17-2015, 01:41 PM

Their is a lot of miss information, and poor info, in this thread,
Seen as I own a few rifles in another country with suspressor's. They can not silence a super sonic noise, I think, the reduction in noise is about 20-30 db,
They add length to the barrel, and unless you chop and shorten the rifle, unbalance it sum what. Depending on the rifle and type of country, I may or may not use one.
Any noise reduction is helpful from a hearing safety point, and also around stock, homes and dwelings,

I am adding a thread, from early this year, as the rifle used was a Finlight fitted with a DPT suspressor.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=zealand
Old 09-18-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
I'm not singling you out, just borrowing your phrasing.
Folks need to know how loud firearms are still with a suppressor on them. There is no application of the term "silencer" when referring to these devices. They just muffle a portion of the muzzle blast, only a portion. They do nothing for the supersonic crack the projectile makes flying through the air.
The only way to lose that part is to use sub-sonic ammunition - it flies slower than the speed of sound barrier. Hence no CRACK sound. It also drops like a rock. I bought a .300 Blackout Rem SPS. The normal ammunition was fine, very accurrate. The subsonic dropped 14-16" at 100 yds over the POI from normal ammunition. At 200 yards, I couldn't even put it on the target board, much less the target.
The biggest complaint against Firing Ranges is the noise from the neighbours. Generally whom bought the property long after the range was founded. Their constant complaints get the range closed.Suppressors would lessen the firearms signature noise and reduce complaints.
I'd sure like to use them at the range, couldn't see myself using one while hunting. Possible exception of using a .22 on small game while scouting big game so as not to spook it. As a non-criminal, criminal record free citizen, I'd sure like to be able to choose what legal device/firearm I use. The criminals sure don't ask.
I can be trusted to drive a vehicle that weigh 90,000 lbs past a school full of little kids, but can't be trusted to safely use a firearm in the woods?
c'mon. RED cars kill more people in a month than firearms do in a year. How about we ban RED cars. For the sake of the children?
Well said. Agree
Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Banned

If you can get all gun owners to agree on one thing, that would be a triumph of it's own. Seems every firearms discussion on AO ends in near bloodshed.

Good luck on the supressors...
Old 03-06-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
We can't even keep legal guns legal in Canukistan. I have no issue with them but I think there's a snowballs chance in Hades that it'll happen in my lifetime.
Agreed. They're scary and since we ban our firearms off of appearence, the ghostly, inaudible sound of a suppressor would be too terrifying for our brave canuck souls.

Honestly, arkansas allows them for hunting. Read an article with one hunter who enjoys the privelege and his line of thinking is, the game gets less spooked by the quieter noise. Makes recovery a lot easier when the deer don't go into full on flight mode.

Can't say I ever get the chance to try this theory out at home.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nice. Why don't you keep your Canada bashing down there in the Excited States?

Honestly...for someone so quick to accuse others of America bashing... whether real or imagined... you have got some nerve.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM

Suppressors are MANDATORY in IIRC Finland....

Mufflers are mandatory on motorized vehicles...
Old 03-06-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post

Good point.
Would love to be able to use one, for sure.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post

Many European country's allow them for hunting. It disturbs the locals less when hunting in heavily populated areas.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-06-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Honestly...for someone so quick to accuse others of America bashing... whether real or imagined... you have got some nerve.
don't think he is Canada bashing, I'm pretty sure he is Canadian as well.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:13 AM

wont a suppressor affect your bullet speed and accuracy? or is that just a myth.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257wbyhunter View Post
wont a suppressor affect your bullet speed and accuracy? or is that just a myth.
Myth, It actually increases your speed because you are increasing barrel length and also accuracy is not effect, just the same as with a brake.

I actually think that this may be one that we will see legalized in our lifetime for the sole reason that it is a health and noise pollution issue. If there is a strong enough push from the health community I believe suppressors are a definite possibility. I doubt we will get a whole a lot support from the environmentalist but I guess it depends how you swing the argument. We just need some long term studies on the effects of gun fire noise on hearing; I imagine it has already been done for military, maybe those studies can be paralleled to a avid hunter/shooter.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
My comment was not random or a shot in the dark.

He is an ex-pat... living in the US.
Read his location line.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
My comment was not random or a shot in the dark.

He is an ex-pat... living in the US.
Read his sig line.
And?

Do you have a point or is it just my day to get picked on by the big daddy badger?

Won't be long 'till I'm back up there more than likely anyways. What say you then?

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
No you have to be some where forever and conform to local rhetoric to be "from there" not inany way saying R4 is not Canadian. But grey and others like to point out born and conform
Old 03-06-2014, 11:30 AM

For range use, yes.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

Quote:

First of all I am a Canadian, and please explain how my comment was "bashing".

And secondly, do you disagree with what I said?

Good to see everyone's sticking together, as usual.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
X2

What most people don't understand is that a suppressor does not totally silence your gun it just reduces the noise. Hollywood makes it look like you can go around killing people with zero noise, not the case.

On a small caliber like a .22 maybe it makes it almost silent but on a deer rifle it is just noise reduction. I don't see an issue hunting with one.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:15 PM

Cool Yep it's still a shot!

:
Quote:
X2

What most people don't understand is that a suppressor does not totally silence your gun it just reduces the noise. Hollywood makes it look like you can go around killing people with zero noise, not the case.

On a small caliber like a .22 maybe it makes it almost silent but on a deer rifle it is just noise reduction. I don't see an issue hunting with one.
Well said its just a reduction if you go to YOUTUBE and check it out on a review its still a shot that you can hear its just to a point of not having to wear earplugs. And comments on poachers loving to have them well a poacher is a poacher what's he going to do that he or she isn't doing already KILLING illegally. Suppressors have to be registered in the US the same as us with restricted firearms here if your bad you get no rights to own one. But if your already a scumbag I'm sure they don't care anyways.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 PM

Suppressors would be cool, restricted AR's would be cool, open carry would be cool.

I'd buy one just to play around and target shoot with. Don't see the point using it for hunting. Would affect the trajectory i think.

Never happen in Canada.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:25 PM

It would be great to be able to go to the range and not go deaf... As for hunting, we take relatively few shots and it's nice to hear who is around you. My vote goes range only, like restricted firearms.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Yep, Agreed.

We'll get suppressors right before they legalize "handgun hunting"..........
Old 09-17-2015, 09:16 AM

I have nothing against suppressors I just don't think I'd like having that big thing on my barrel.
Hollywood's "psst psst" sound is firmly embedded in the gun ignorant public making "silencers" a deadly weapon
Old 09-17-2015, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I have nothing against suppressors I just don't think I'd like having that big thing on my barrel.
Hollywood's "psst psst" sound is firmly embedded in the gun ignorant public making "silencers" a deadly weapon
Why? They weigh barely anything. And most rifles in places with suppressors have short barrel versions. My 22 was 14" and 308 16".
They tighten groups. Reduce felt recoil. And despite what counter strike on the play station tells you they don't slow the bullet.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
Why? They weigh barely anything. And most rifles in places with suppressors have short barrel versions. My 22 was 14" and 308 16".
They tighten groups. Reduce felt recoil. And despite what counter strike on the play station tells you they don't slow the bullet.
I prefer compact rifles especially when pushing bush the smaller and shorter the better. I have never seen a suppresser I am assuming they are filled with some baffles and some sort of noise absorbing material they must weigh something. What would be the diameter and much would it increase OAL to a 338 win with a 24" barrel?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild side targets View Post
:Would like to see what your thoughts are on legalizing suppressors in CANADA. I was looking into some complaints on gun shots or noise from shooting and I see great reviews from some of the states and UK that have them and made them legal. What seems to be the big issue on not ever seen suppressors brought into CANADA to be legalized. Just my theory but wouldn't it make sense to have a suppressed gun were people that get disturbed but don't care that you shoot they just don't like the noise or the anti-gun scum lol that make a fuss about the noise that guns make and they do!!. It just seems to be a very good thing to have. And fight for to get legalized
I have no issue with their use on ranges only.

For hunting...I feel that we have enough advantage over animals already and that loud bangs are a benefit from a safety perspective.

The fly in the ointment of course is that they would no doubt become very attractive to hoods and idiots... exposing us all to more bad press.