Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Cool Suppressors whats your thoughts to fight to get them legal in canada

:Would like to see what your thoughts are on legalizing suppressors in CANADA. I was looking into some complaints on gun shots or noise from shooting and I see great reviews from some of the states and UK that have them and made them legal. What seems to be the big issue on not ever seen suppressors brought into CANADA to be legalized. Just my theory but wouldn't it make sense to have a suppressed gun were people that get disturbed but don't care that you shoot they just don't like the noise or the anti-gun scum lol that make a fuss about the noise that guns make and they do!!. It just seems to be a very good thing to have. And fight for to get legalized
Old 03-06-2014, 10:54 AM

We can't even keep legal guns legal in Canukistan. I have no issue with them but I think there's a snowballs chance in Hades that it'll happen in my lifetime.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-06-2014, 10:56 AM

There won't be any coyote left in Alberta the week after suppressors get legal...
Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Banned

If you can get all gun owners to agree on one thing, that would be a triumph of it's own. Seems every firearms discussion on AO ends in near bloodshed.

Good luck on the supressors...
Old 03-06-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
We can't even keep legal guns legal in Canukistan. I have no issue with them but I think there's a snowballs chance in Hades that it'll happen in my lifetime.
Agreed. They're scary and since we ban our firearms off of appearence, the ghostly, inaudible sound of a suppressor would be too terrifying for our brave canuck souls.

Honestly, arkansas allows them for hunting. Read an article with one hunter who enjoys the privelege and his line of thinking is, the game gets less spooked by the quieter noise. Makes recovery a lot easier when the deer don't go into full on flight mode.

Can't say I ever get the chance to try this theory out at home.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild side targets View Post
:Would like to see what your thoughts are on legalizing suppressors in CANADA. I was looking into some complaints on gun shots or noise from shooting and I see great reviews from some of the states and UK that have them and made them legal. What seems to be the big issue on not ever seen suppressors brought into CANADA to be legalized. Just my theory but wouldn't it make sense to have a suppressed gun were people that get disturbed but don't care that you shoot they just don't like the noise or the anti-gun scum lol that make a fuss about the noise that guns make and they do!!. It just seems to be a very good thing to have. And fight for to get legalized
I have no issue with their use on ranges only.

For hunting...I feel that we have enough advantage over animals already and that loud bangs are a benefit from a safety perspective.

The fly in the ointment of course is that they would no doubt become very attractive to hoods and idiots... exposing us all to more bad press.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nice. Why don't you keep your Canada bashing down there in the Excited States?

Honestly...for someone so quick to accuse others of America bashing... whether real or imagined... you have got some nerve.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM

Suppressors are MANDATORY in IIRC Finland....

Mufflers are mandatory on motorized vehicles...
Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
X2

What most people don't understand is that a suppressor does not totally silence your gun it just reduces the noise. Hollywood makes it look like you can go around killing people with zero noise, not the case.

On a small caliber like a .22 maybe it makes it almost silent but on a deer rifle it is just noise reduction. I don't see an issue hunting with one.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post

Honestly...for someone so quick to accuse others of America bashing... whether real or imagined... you have got some nerve.
don't think he is Canada bashing, I'm pretty sure he is Canadian as well.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:13 AM

wont a suppressor affect your bullet speed and accuracy? or is that just a myth.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:

First of all I am a Canadian, and please explain how my comment was "bashing".

And secondly, do you disagree with what I said?

Good to see everyone's sticking together, as usual.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post

Good point.
Would love to be able to use one, for sure.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
My comment was not random or a shot in the dark.

He is an ex-pat... living in the US.
Read his location line.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post

Many European country's allow them for hunting. It disturbs the locals less when hunting in heavily populated areas.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
My comment was not random or a shot in the dark.

He is an ex-pat... living in the US.
Read his sig line.
And?

Do you have a point or is it just my day to get picked on by the big daddy badger?

Won't be long 'till I'm back up there more than likely anyways. What say you then?

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
No you have to be some where forever and conform to local rhetoric to be "from there" not inany way saying R4 is not Canadian. But grey and others like to point out born and conform
Old 03-06-2014, 11:30 AM

For range use, yes.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 03-06-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:

For hunting...I feel that we have enough advantage over animals already and that loud bangs are a benefit from a safety perspective.

The fly in the ointment of course is that they would no doubt become very attractive to hoods and idiots... exposing us all to more bad press.
I have to disagree there is no advantage to animals a shot is a shot a kill is a kill to me its still there just less noise but your opinion is always your opinion and its good to hear what people think. But the real issue on this is people complaining about the noise of a gun when hunting its not a matter of advantage to the animals its not being able to shoot or hunt in areas where the public is likely to be screaming BLOODY MARY about gunshots or noise and not having a area to hunt. And hunting area is getting scarce every year. Thanks for your thoughts on the safety perspective its questionable to ponder.

Last edited by 243 wild cat; 03-06-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:37 AM

I think there are a few things to fight for before suppressors. And I have to admit I've never heard "noise" as being one of the issues gun-control advocates trot out.

I also suspect police and F&W officers appreciate being able to hear shots and where they might be coming from. Supressors would have many useful legitimate purposes, but there's no denying poachers would love them.

In short, not losing any sleep over not being able to buy one.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:42 AM

Jimbo1 was telling me a while back that many areas of England mandate them because of the noise for surrounding neighbours.
They also are very efficient at not spooking the other animals around like roebucks and rabbits
Cat
Old 03-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
And?

Do you have a point or is it just my day to get picked on by the big daddy badger?

Won't be long 'till I'm back up there more than likely anyways. What say you then?
I think you know what my point is.

As for coming up here....great... but I'd offer up the suggestion that if your intent is senslessly bash this country... that you barely know...perhaps it isn't the country for you.

Canada was founded upon the principles of Peace, Order and Good Government and in my mind 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

The US was founded on significantly different principles and seems to be failing miserably at most of them right now along with Peace Order and Good Government.

IOW we are far less a police state than that within which you currently live.... with the exception of some portions of our gun laws.

I do not lack the integrity to be enable myself to flip flop... I am Canadian and my loyalty is not divided or or swayed by confused loyalty.

I might dislike the government at times just like anyone else but I do not feel it is appropriate to express that by offering to insult all of my fellow citisens.
The government is not the nation nor is it the country.

Further, having spent no small portion of my life directly and actively opposing things like you suggest we are... and having lost friends doing that... I find the comment highly offensive.

Perhaps had you done the same you'd get that and be a bit less casual about throwing statements like that around....especially as an outsider looking in.

We are different than the US but we are far more different than the Soviet Union was and in may ways Canadians are more free than Americans have been in a very very long time.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:08 PM

BDB.....RyRy is Canadian thru and through Sir
Old 03-06-2014, 12:15 PM

Cool Yep it's still a shot!

:
Quote:
X2

What most people don't understand is that a suppressor does not totally silence your gun it just reduces the noise. Hollywood makes it look like you can go around killing people with zero noise, not the case.

On a small caliber like a .22 maybe it makes it almost silent but on a deer rifle it is just noise reduction. I don't see an issue hunting with one.
Well said its just a reduction if you go to YOUTUBE and check it out on a review its still a shot that you can hear its just to a point of not having to wear earplugs. And comments on poachers loving to have them well a poacher is a poacher what's he going to do that he or she isn't doing already KILLING illegally. Suppressors have to be registered in the US the same as us with restricted firearms here if your bad you get no rights to own one. But if your already a scumbag I'm sure they don't care anyways.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 PM

Suppressors would be cool, restricted AR's would be cool, open carry would be cool.

I'd buy one just to play around and target shoot with. Don't see the point using it for hunting. Would affect the trajectory i think.

Never happen in Canada.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:25 PM

It would be great to be able to go to the range and not go deaf... As for hunting, we take relatively few shots and it's nice to hear who is around you. My vote goes range only, like restricted firearms.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:33 PM

They would be good a night so you don't wake your neighbour...
Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:

You are hunting incorrectly.

When you are stalking quietly through the bush its best not to fire your gun for no reason.

What you have said is like saying "I only agree with having suppressors on Tuesdays"

I can not - by any stretch of my imagination - figure out how having a suppressor would help me to harvest a big game animal: except for allowing me to hunt closer to farmsteads and noise sensitive land owners.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257wbyhunter View Post
wont a suppressor affect your bullet speed and accuracy? or is that just a myth.
Myth, It actually increases your speed because you are increasing barrel length and also accuracy is not effect, just the same as with a brake.

I actually think that this may be one that we will see legalized in our lifetime for the sole reason that it is a health and noise pollution issue. If there is a strong enough push from the health community I believe suppressors are a definite possibility. I doubt we will get a whole a lot support from the environmentalist but I guess it depends how you swing the argument. We just need some long term studies on the effects of gun fire noise on hearing; I imagine it has already been done for military, maybe those studies can be paralleled to a avid hunter/shooter.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 PM

I think it will be a good idea because it will bring lots or revenue for lots of people.

Our gunsmiths will be extremely busy threading the barrels