Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-02-2009, 08:38 AM

Default The Buffs are Back!!!

Just got my draw booklet and I see the Zama buffalo hunt is back this year.
Although Ted Morton kinda let the cat out of the bag at the AFGA convention in February when he joked about putting in for a tag with his MLA buddy Len (Heritage Hunting and Fishing Act) Mitzel.
It's still being called "special" license and a "management strategy" rather than admitting what it should be a -"sustainable" hunt.
It's unclear how many tags there will be and it's just plain dumb to hold the hunt in the middle of winter again.
Still it's a start.
Now if SRD would get it's head out of it's assets, acknowledge the popularity of the hunt and begin a program to transfer more Elk Island woodies to other suitable oil patch habitat (Swan Hills, Fox Creek, Martin Hills, etc. etc.) we would have another highly desirable big game animal to pursue.
Will wild boars be next?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
it's just plain dumb to hold the hunt in the middle of winter again.
Just curious when you think a better time would be? Winter seems perfect to me. Hides are in prime condition and snowmobile access is easy. It seems most other jurisdictions (NWT, Yukon, BC and Alaska) have also opted for winter hunts for these reasons.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:57 AM

I was just wondering what the reason for a winter hunt is. I don't have a sled and I can't justify buying one for a once only hunt. Maybe a staggered season? Is there a specific reason for the hunt to be conducted in the winter?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 AM
sheephunter

My understanding is because hides are in their prime and that access is easier because of the ground being frozen. You can always rent a sled if you are lucky enough to draw.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:07 AM

I think winter is the way to go with that hunt as well. I prefer snow flakes over Horse flies and although hunting in -30 + might not be very comfortable at least you can actually get around up there once there is some frost in the ground.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 AM

Good to know. I have never been that far north so I don't know the area at all. Thanks guys.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:17 AM

The brass monkey hunt happened because of a deal that was cut with the local band where they get first crack. Yup, politics.
Except the First Nation harvest wasn't as many as they expected.
But if this is going to be a sustainable harvest (and hopefully that's the way Morton is headed) clearly a fall hunt makes a lot more sense. The Jan/Feb season simply turns it into a big road hunt. I don't blame the guys for not wanting to stray too far from the truck heater.
By the way TJ, isn't hunting from Skidoos illegal?
And if it's not, then surely not very ethical.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
Just got my draw booklet and I see the Zama buffalo hunt is back this year.
Although Ted Morton kinda let the cat out of the bag at the AFGA convention in February when he joked about putting in for a tag with his MLA buddy Len (Heritage Hunting and Fishing Act) Mitzel.
It's still being called "special" license and a "management strategy" rather than admitting what it should be a -"sustainable" hunt.
It's unclear how many tags there will be and it's just plain dumb to hold the hunt in the middle of winter again.
Still it's a start.
Now if SRD would get it's head out of it's assets, acknowledge the popularity of the hunt and begin a program to transfer more Elk Island woodies to other suitable oil patch habitat (Swan Hills, Fox Creek, Martin Hills, etc. etc.) we would have another highly desirable big game animal to pursue.
Will wild boars be next?

If you draw a buff tag this year Mr Waugh then I would be happy to lend you my video camera.I am sure all of us "unethical hunters that use skidoo's and Atv's to access hunting territory and retrieve game" would be quite interested in you demonstrating the technique used in packing a whole Buff out on your back.

I would take -40 over a million swarming black fly's anyday