Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-22-2018, 09:08 AM

Out in 234 yesterday. Weather was miserable and cold. Never heard any respond from the elk nor saw one. But with this weather I can't say I was surprised.

Ps - silent151 delete some messages and I can respond back to you your box is full
Old 09-22-2018, 10:43 AM

Default calls

Just got back from the opening week in 400. Day before the opener, I was able to get one bull to scream at with a single cow call, and then nothing again until yesterday morning. They already have the cows rounded up, but they just weren't talking. Could be something about the big wolf pack we spotted(11 total). I guess that would be similar to ringing a dinner bell for them if they started announcing themselves like we would have liked to hear.
The wolf pack was 12-1300 yards down a valley, and across a river, so NO we didn't do our part and start slinging lead their way. They were trying to soak up a bit of late morning sunshine, but always getting up and moving a bit every half hour. That many wolves would sure put a "bite" on the wildlife numbers, and yet we still found and saw a fair bit of game. It was a fun week.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:53 PM

They were still bugling in Sask last week 15-19.

I tagged a cow in Archery on Aug.31.

I got to hear a hunter call a nice 5x5 bull on Wednesday the 19th.(was calling Moose in next cut block)

Talked to him after and he said Bull came right in on a string. But he didn't bugle at him until last 45 minutes of daylight. Heavy 5x5.

I think alot of guys make the mistake of bugling to late in a.m or too early in afternoon.

Elk can come in fast so I try never to bugle until 30 minute's before sunset. I will usually wait until last half hour to bugle.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:33 PM

North of Peace River last week and all was quiet, then Tuseday night that all changed. Many areas the elk are late. Talking to a farmer in that area and he is thinking that all the smoke from the forest fires this summer delayed the crops and thought maybe why the elk are also late. Guess that could very well be!
Old 09-23-2018, 05:13 AM

I heard bugling after dark in Sask in Archery season.(last week of August)

Had a 2 Bulls bugle to me onAug 28, Aug 29.

Bulls were still bugling on Sept.19th when I was there for Archery Moose.

So in Sask the rut was normal.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:14 PM

Heard few bugles last week in sask near greenwater havnt heard any action at my stand last few nights
Old 09-23-2018, 06:07 PM

Killed a 5 point on opening morning.He came in to the bugle calling all the way.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:01 PM

Had a nice fat legal meat bull sneak in on us this evening.

Caught us sorta off guard... dammit!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-24-2018, 10:17 AM

Called in a bull this morning, he was bugling and chuckling the whole way in. Came in to 30-40 yards no shot unfortunately. I'm in central AB
Old 09-24-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Just got back from the opening week in 400. Day before the opener, I was able to get one bull to scream at with a single cow call, and then nothing again until yesterday morning. They already have the cows rounded up, but they just weren't talking. Could be something about the big wolf pack we spotted(11 total). I guess that would be similar to ringing a dinner bell for them if they started announcing themselves like we would have liked to hear.
The wolf pack was 12-1300 yards down a valley, and across a river, so NO we didn't do our part and start slinging lead their way. They were trying to soak up a bit of late morning sunshine, but always getting up and moving a bit every half hour. That many wolves would sure put a "bite" on the wildlife numbers, and yet we still found and saw a fair bit of game. It was a fun week.
How do you find the elk hunting down in 400? I've been thinking of hiking into the castle park for a general bull. Is it worth it? Have you hunted down there on more than a few occasions?
Old 09-24-2018, 05:39 PM

Default castle wildland

All of the trails north of the Carbondale were basically still open. It was just the usual hiking off of the trails (my normal method anyway).
Good access everywhere, but I was sorely tempted to hike in along McDonald pass and see if they had migrated over onto that side due to no quad traffic.
The wolves were along the valley our first night, and then up into the old north Lost Creek trail when we actually got to watch them.
We did see, or bump elk almost everyday, so they haven't deserted the area due to the wolves or quads, but we definitely didnt see the normal amount of sign. From the sign that we did see, be prepared to haul your elk out in pieces from a long ways off of the trails.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:43 PM

Anyone been out this week? Hearing any bugling?
Old 09-28-2018, 09:10 AM

Heard 100 bugles from 5 bulls on Tuesday in a northern zone. Went hard for 3 hours in the morning then all went quiet
A few Wednesday morning.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:03 PM

Haven't heard nothing in 242 a week ago, probably wont
Old 10-01-2018, 12:20 PM

On Friday the 28 th really heavy fog early in morning, had a bull going pretty good across the river, but would not cross on my side, could ear the cows calling too, that went on for about a couple hours, private land where they were and the owner won't allow hunting, last year I had the same scenario and had smaller bull crossing to check me out, that was fun.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:01 PM

Took this 5x5 the morning of Saturday, September 29th around 9:30am in 402. Had him chuckling back at us (~500 yds) after a few locator calls as he had some cows with him. He didn't want to leave the ridge he was on to come investigate but a buddy kept him occupied while I closed distance in timber and dropped him from 125 yds. First elk.

Once we got him down to the truck and loaded up we chatted with a few groups passing by - they mentioned the bulls had been active for a few days. This felt like a YouTube hunt - a welcome change after a few seasons of grinding.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:25 PM

was in 358 on sept 10. I heard nothing call and only saw 3 bulls which were still together and left for home on the 21. Went back on the 26 and they were going nutz and I shot mine on the morning of the 28th with bulls screaming all around me. They were making scrapes and visiting wallows in archery season but not calling at all. Strange year.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:20 PM

Nothing in 314 on the snow day. A little bit of cow calling was enough to have 2 wolves come cut my tracks and have a sniff. After sniffing around they backed out at 100 yards.
Decided to try rattling when I got back near the road, had a buck come crashing in but held up in bush just before my shooting lanes.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:23 AM

One bugle last Sunday! quiet ever since. (wmu 304, 305)
anyone else hearing anything?
Old 10-12-2018, 09:52 AM

Was in 527 last week . My buddy and both got our elk. First year that it was so quick and easy for us.The elk were active!