Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-22-2018, 09:41 AM

Default Should the Strathcona WT primitive license be changed to include mule deer?

I hunt Strathcona County very regularly with both bow & shotgun and have permission on a great quarter. The quarter I hunt is absolutely overrun with mule deer with at least 10-20 spotted every night. However there's hardly a WT to be found. I took a small WT buck first week of the primitive weapon season but have since not seen a single WT.

While I know deer populations can be very localized I'm wondering if it's time the Strathcona license became something like the Wainwright tag which is two deer, either sex, either species.

Thoughts from other guys hunting different quarters?

Last edited by timsesink; 11-22-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:45 AM

Don’t hunt there but if it were changed I could see myself making the trip for Muzzleloader season, I’m interested to see what other people who hunt there have to say.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:56 AM

100% agree. We hunt private land that was previously in wmu 250 and is now part of 248. There are far more mule deer than whitetails in the area. The only way to hunt them now is archery season. Permission in this area is also hard to come by. At the very least they should add a draw for them during the primitive weapons season.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:28 AM

Adding on to this, why isn’t there a similar system to Strathcona county in foothills county 212 in the Calgary bowzone?
Old 11-22-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
Adding on to this, why isn’t there a similar system to Strathcona county in foothills county 212 in the Calgary bowzone?
From what I understand (and I may be wrong) the bow hunting associations have fought tooth and nail to prevent any expansion of primitive weapons zones and related tags.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
From what I understand (and I may be wrong) the bow hunting associations have fought tooth and nail to prevent any expansion of primitive weapons zones and related tags.
I know there is a foothills antlerless deer license December 1-20 or something like that where muzzleloader are allowed in 212, that’s why I’m confused, if we have this season why not just extend it and allow deer of either species, and either sex during the same time frame.