Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
Dude that 10point is a beauty
you an american?
Old 10-28-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
you an american?
Very common even here in Canada when it comes to to whitetail. Even more common in hunters under 50 or from eastern Canada

Mule deer on the other hand no 4x4 or 4pt is the normal

Now as no one comes on this thread calling a big whitetail buck a swamp donkey we are all good lol
Old 10-28-2022, 08:04 PM
Banned

lets get it right! zed is NOT zee and never should be accepted.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Ok but you picked the one stand I set for my cousin and he is basically a 280lb gorilla. If you can wrestle him out of the stand I am good with it
I will bring snacks to calm the beast.

Hope he has success and patience to not take the first one that walks out but as long as he is enjoying the outdoors it’s all good.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-29-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
you an american?
I was simply using his nomenclature that he used in the post...Canada is a big country bud, not everyone uses the same words as you do.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
I was simply using his nomenclature that he used in the post...Canada is a big country bud, not everyone uses the same words as you do.
good thing, i'd say!
Old 10-29-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I will bring snacks to calm the beast.

Hope he has success and patience to not take the first one that walks out but as long as he is enjoying the outdoors it’s all good.
He has never shot a buck so I don’t know how well he will hold out. Plus the big guy will probably get hungry if he sits too long lol

In the end as long as he is happy with what he pulls the trigger on it’s fine by me regardless of size. I only torment those who pull the trigger on a small one and complain or regret it

Anyone who hunts with me is told shoot whatever you are happy with its your tag
Old 11-02-2022, 07:28 AM

Well the Rookie got stuck with family so I won’t be playing instructor this set off

But that means I am just going to head out myself so let the games begin

Oh and that spot that just started picking up has had two more bucks show up now. But I won’t be going there yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2022, 08:31 AM

Good luck smoky, great weather to start off November!
Old 11-02-2022, 08:55 AM

Bad start driving back to town red dot not working. No issues up till the first day I take it hunting and even had it out last week

It’s got both batteries and solar so was not expecting issues. Going back to town to get a new battery to see it that is the issue.

Hope I don’t need to do a swap
Old 11-02-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Bad start driving back to town red dot not working. No issues up till the first day I take it hunting and even had it out last week

It’s got both batteries and solar so was not expecting issues. Going back to town to get a new battery to see it that is the issue.

You didn’t check it before you went out the door?

You don’t have a back up rifle in the truck?

My son’s girlfriend is better prepared than you……..

There are no absolutes
Old 11-02-2022, 09:23 AM

^ Lol.

Tough luck, Smoky. Hope you get her fixed quickly.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Poop happens!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-02-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You didn’t check it before you went out the door?

You don’t have a back up rifle in the truck?

My son’s girlfriend is better prepared than you……..
I am not far enough from home to warrant the back up rifle but you will be proud I replaced the battery and now have a spare in the pack too lol

First day off work and I was supposed to be playing caller not shooter today so yup completely disorganized not arguing there lol

Why haven’t you killed your buck yet?lol
Old 11-02-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I am not far enough from home to warrant the back up rifle but you will be proud I replaced the battery and now have a spare in the pack too lol

First day off work and I supposed to be playing caller not shooter today so yup completely disorganized not arguing there lol

Why haven’t you killed your buck yet?lol
This is about you, not me, but nice try at deflecting the spot light.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-02-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
This is about you, not me, but nice try at deflecting the spot light.
Oh trust me it’s 100% my issues and mine only this morning

All I can do is shake my head swear and move forward

Now to get back at it and see what else I can screw up lol
Old 11-02-2022, 10:47 AM

Don't worry man, we have all been there! I swear out loud at myself for several minutes sometimes, alone, in the truck, 100km's away from home after I forget something. I remain the undefeated champion of forgetting things after I forgot to bring the tent when we went ice fishing last year at -39, 2.5 hours away from home.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:01 PM

Ok let’s try this again lol

Started in the trench to find my dead battery but on a positive note an old friend was on cam. You will find pics of this guy in velvet early in the thread. I was crossing my fingers he would come by this stand. But after hiking out I will hunt it another day

So after the morning mess I opted for the cougar stand since it’s a much shorter walk. Unfortunately the buck activity has been at night but look what showed up on this cam
Another drop tine buck and that makes 3 at 3 different stands

So here is today’s view crap swirling wind but screw it riding it out today

Old 11-02-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Ok let’s try this again lol

Started in the trench to find my dead battery but on a positive note an old friend was on cam. You will find pics of this guy in velvet early in the thread. I was crossing my fingers he would come by this stand. But after hiking out I will hunt it another day

So after the morning mess I opted for the cougar stand since it’s a much shorter walk. Unfortunately the buck activity has been at night but look what showed up on this cam
Another drop tine buck and that makes 3 at 3 different stands

So here is today’s view crap swirling wind but screw it riding it out today

Looks like a great area with a lot of nice bucks it’s just to bad a guy can only hunt one stand at a time. Sometimes having lots of options is great but it’s always a internal struggle on deciding “which one today”.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Looks like a great area with a lot of nice bucks it’s just to bad a guy can only hunt one stand at a time. Sometimes having lots of options is great but it’s always a internal struggle on deciding “which one today”.
My location are fairly spread out and I cover a large area 3 WMUs scouting. It’s really putting in the time to find the pockets within a large area. I spend A LOT of time covering a lot of ground seeking out my locations. I don’t just pay attention to the deer I pay attention to the hunting pressure too. If I cross paths with others who hunt like I do I actually avoid the areas I know they hunt even. There is so much that is not in this thread

No kidding and I keep repeating it to everyone pick an area and invest the effort to learn it you will be surprised if you keep at it

When it comes to the where I hunt the wind makes the choices for me as I try to play the odds in my favor over choosing the stand because of the buck. Plus I know every spot has a buck that visits I would be happy with. If a buck out smarts me I just start over next season

There is no magic honey hole or secret knowledge at play just time and effort. Anyone willing to invest the time and pay attention to sign can do what I am doing

Get out and do it is the key
Old 11-03-2022, 12:43 AM

Cant wait to see the pics when you knock one down.....some fantastic looking bucks you have on the go, I get excited everytime I see you post here! Good luck man!
Old 11-03-2022, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Cant wait to see the pics when you knock one down.....some fantastic looking bucks you have on the go, I get excited everytime I see you post here! Good luck man!
Thanks after some coffee and breakfast I will be at it again. Yesterday I only seen one buck that I hesitated if I should pass or not. Well I was debating my window passed making the choice for me but it’s early

Right now most of the nice bucks are moving at night but if history repeats itself things should improve with more daylight movement after the 10th of November

Over the season there will be 7-8 of us hunting bush bucks this year so there will be some success photos posted. Everyone has different standards and amount of time they have to hunt so it will be a mix. This will include the stands I posted here but also a few stands the others set and some hunting off the ground

Who knows what I will take big or small for myself or if I just eat my tag but I won’t regret it either way I know I will enjoy the pursuit and time out there
Old 11-03-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:

If it were me I'd haul that red dot off and shove it in my pocket, you still have a set of irons on that rifle!
Cat
Old 11-03-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks after some coffee and breakfast I will be at it again. Yesterday I only seen one buck that I hesitated if I should pass or not. Well I was debating my window passed making the choice for me but it’s early

Right now most of the nice bucks are moving at night but if history repeats itself things should improve with more daylight movement after the 10th of November

Over the season there will be 7-8 of us hunting bush bucks this year so there will be some success photos posted. Everyone has different standards and amount of time they have to hunt so it will be a mix. This will include the stands I posted here but also a few stands the others set and some hunting off the ground

Who knows what I will take big or small for myself or if I just eat my tag but I won’t regret it either way I know I will enjoy the pursuit and time out there
This decent buck forgot to read the memo...hehe

But you are right, many of them are still nocturnal.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If it were me I'd haul that red dot off and shove it in my pocket, you still have a set of irons on that rifle!
Cat
True but it’s a new thing I am testing out this year. I can say I did see real potential on targets.

I also have a new Henry single 308 that has not drawn blood yet but decided to stick to my 30-30 since I invested some money tweaking it towards my bush hunts

Just being stubborn with what I decided to use honestly
Old 11-03-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Well the Rookie got stuck with family so I won’t be playing instructor this set off

But that means I am just going to head out myself so let the games begin

I wouldn't mind the details of your rifle. Looks like a Marlin, but is the metal coated? Painted wood, or synthetic stock?
Old 11-03-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
This decent buck forgot to read the memo...hehe

But you are right, many of them are still nocturnal.

Said MOST and as you can see by the pic of the one drop tine buck some of mine are playing day walker too lol

There is always a few that have to buck the trends and be different. Hence why I am going hunting
Old 11-03-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
I wouldn't mind the details of your rifle. Looks like a Marlin, but is the metal coated? Painted wood, or synthetic stock?
Creakoted, synthetic stock, big loop, and a vortex red dot set up on a Marlin 336 30-30

I took my last 2 bucks with this rifle without the modifications and a 2x7 scope. Find it comfortable as a tree stand bush gun so made some adjustments. I am rough on things so made it more durable, more space for gloves in the loop, and tested the red dot because of eye relief in odd positions
Old 11-03-2022, 09:05 AM

Well a little excitement off the start one small 8 and a doe already. Opted for the stand with the tall 10pt I have been watching since the start. Oh and before it starts again I was born in Canada and I just called that buck a 10pt live with it lol

There is some new bucks to add to the original 10pt on cam but anything of interest is still in the dark

Today’s view

Old 11-03-2022, 09:24 AM

And there goes 3 more does

Come on let see something with real antlers