Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2014, 12:20 PM

Default Looking for Certified Electrician for City of Red Deer

So I guess I'm not very educated in the ways of the construction trade and rules, and certainly wasn't provided the information from the city at the time, but none the less, here I am with a small conundrum.

We took out a home permit to construct the basement in my home. Went in, explained what I'd be doing, and got a nice little blue piece of cardboard to tape to my front window. Great.

Proceeded with the framing, plumbing, electrical, either doing things myself or help from friends/family. Called the city to come in and do an inspection for approval so we can move on to drywall.

Well, now the information comes out. I need a separate permit for each thing, and because I live in a townhouse, I am not allowed to get a permit for the electrical. The permit has to be taken out by an electrician certified to work in the City of Red Deer (not Alberta, like my FIL has been doing for 50 years in Whitecourt). That person then would have to come to my house, review the work, and sign off on it that it's acceptable. This is ONLY because I'm in a townhouse, so suspect it has something to do with adjoining residences or something.

This is tough I know, as it's their license on the line. The work was completed by my father-in-law, who, as mentioned above, has been an electrician in Alberta for decades. I expected the work he did will be in accordance with all current standards, etc.

Are there any AO members that qualify and are willing to do this for me? You are of course welcome to come and view the work completed before even getting the permit to ensure the work is of quality standards.

If not, I'll call around, but wanted to try here first.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jay
Old 01-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Well this has thus far been deflating. Bump up back to the main page.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:44 PM

A big thanks to 220swifty. He provided me a name, and I'm not sure there was a better guy for the job, as he owns his own business and does inspections for the City of Red Deer.

I explained my plight and he'll be by tonight to get the ball rolling for me.

Thanks 220, you really helped me out.

Cheers,
Jay
Old 01-13-2014, 05:06 PM

Glad I could help, even if you are a leafs fan.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Glad I could help, even if you are a leafs fan.
But they're so good!