Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Holy Comely Boys,

The post was pretty narrow in scope. Just looking to see if someone knowledgeable can take a first blush view on a horse in Red Deer.

I know to have it Vet checked, my daughters trainer will do final inspection but I got to fly her from Vancouver and would like someone local to take a look first because in this market, I need to deposit down immediately otherwise the horse is gone - as it did in this case. Yes I am looking locally, I have several connections looking after that but in 3 months no leads. I have had a few leads in Alberta but its difficult to react quickly on something 8 hours away - hence my post.

I also have a dog, and yes I will be getting a vaulter too - just need a riding horse for now and if it gets super lonely in the meantime, I will sleep in the field with it.

Thanks
You're a good sport, man.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Holy Comely Boys,

The post was pretty narrow in scope. Just looking to see if someone knowledgeable can take a first blush view on a horse in Red Deer.

I know to have it Vet checked, my daughters trainer will do final inspection but I got to fly her from Vancouver and would like someone local to take a look first because in this market, I need to deposit down immediately otherwise the horse is gone - as it did in this case. Yes I am looking locally, I have several connections looking after that but in 3 months no leads. I have had a few leads in Alberta but its difficult to react quickly on something 8 hours away - hence my post.

I also have a dog, and yes I will be getting a vaulter too - just need a riding horse for now and if it gets super lonely in the meantime, I will sleep in the field with it.

Thanks
Thats the best thing Ive read today
Old 05-21-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
AO never disappoints. 😊

Ain't that the truth.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 05-21-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Ain't that the truth.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And horses are guaranteed that out. Actually good to see so many people with horse experience here.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-21-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Long distance is no way to buy a horse, Kind of like looking for a wife, best ride first. :lol

Grizz
Ride as many as you can....horses that is....lol
Old 05-21-2022, 10:27 AM

Horses are a good investment if you have daughters. Just like Costner said in Yellowhead. "If your daughters are riding horses no one is riding them".
Old 05-21-2022, 11:50 AM

Ive been looking for a horse now for a few months and so far my dealings have been worse than used car salesman.

Great terminology though to gloss over shortcomings. The truthful ads are pretty entertaining, one of favourites for honesty so far is " he has a really sh**y attitude and doesn't like to be touched.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:07 PM

Ya, for advice, avoid horse brokers. They make used car salesmen look like angels as a rule.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Ya, for advice, avoid horse brokers. They make used car salesmen look like angels as a rule.
That goes for horse trainers as well. Just cause the horse works for the trainer doesn't mean it will work for you. We sold a horse to some people years ago after a flawless demonstration by my son, a trainer and rider in his own right. They took him home and sent him to their trainer for some refinement. Next we get a panicky call, the trainer can't ride the horse, every time she took the reins, he would back up violently. Took about a minute to figure out the problem. She was English had no clue about western riding. Loose reigns Lady, Lose reigns, it's a Western Riding horse.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-21-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
My neighbor got into horses this last year. He's into 4 horses for over $50k. Non of the horses are papered. They're 'mutt' horses. But mutt doesn't mean badly trained. But they're not fancy trained either like you're looking for. They're basic riding horses.

He got hit with real sticker shock on hay this year. Lumber for his pens would have been a lot worse if he hadn't had a pile of it laying around, and a shop to convert into a barn.

I'd recommend getting a dog. They're a lot cheaper to feed, and love you a lot more. Although if you take a dog to a 'force free' trainer, you might as well light your money on fire. You'll get better use out of it that way. The fire will at least warm you momentarily.
His daughter can't ride a dog .....

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil A View Post
His daughter can't ride a dog .....
But she can rent horses, and that's much cheaper.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:57 PM

I live 60km west of Red Deer so might know the person. Send me the details via PM and I'll let you know if we can check it out for you.

My wife is a can crasher and our kids ride jumpers, barrel race, gymkhana, etc and I've showed a few ranch horses, team rope a little and packed some, so we should be able to give you a reasonable appraisal of this horse.

I would disregard about 90% of the advice on this thread. No sense in paying $6-800 for a pre-purchase exam until you know what the horse rides like.

If you go to look at a horse and it's already tied to the fence, saddled and has a sweat on, keep looking.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-22-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I live 60km west of Red Deer so might know the person. Send me the details via PM and I'll let you know if we can check it out for you.

My wife is a can crasher and our kids ride jumpers, barrel race, gymkhana, etc and I've showed a few ranch horses, team rope a little and packed some, so we should be able to give you a reasonable appraisal of this horse.

I would disregard about 90% of the advice on this thread. No sense in paying $6-800 for a pre-purchase exam until you know what the horse rides like.

If you go to look at a horse and it's already tied to the fence, saddled and has a sweat on, keep looking.
Thx NCC, the horse sold. I think good horses sell quickly these days despite the costs. Hopefully hay costs push some supply into the market.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:

Thx NCC, the horse sold. I think good horses sell quickly these days despite the costs. Hopefully hay costs push some supply into the market.
Even the not so good horses are selling quickly despite the cost.

The economy doesn't seem too bad if you only look at the horse market