Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-12-2022, 02:00 PM

Default delete

This should spark some interest !
Most of use have fished North Wabasca Lake as South Wabasca does not have a boat launch for big boats.
Has anyone ever tried fishing in South Wabasca lake .
Is it deep ?
There has to be a ton of fish in there as it never gets fished .
Old 05-15-2022, 05:09 AM

IIRC, if you take a look at a depth chart of the lake it is not very deep. I lived up there as a kid in the late 80's, and I remember people fishing it in the spring and catching big fish, but it was largely ignored much of the rest of the year.

I think a big reason that that river fished as well as it did in the spring was that fish from North Wab made a run to the south lake, either to spawn or because of the massive fish fly hatches. I dont know if it happens anymore, but back then I can even remember watching massive schools of whitefish run under the bridge... when the whitefish were running you generally didnt catch much.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:49 PM

I used to fish the bridge a lot between Dec and March . It used to never freeze because it was deep and had a good current . Walleye on one side in the shade and 10 lb pike on the other side in the sun light !
Old 05-15-2022, 06:27 PM

I've kinda always wondered what the fishing is like in the south lake as well however have never made it over that way. Usually pretty happy with the fishing in the north lake. Is there a launch at all or just not one good for bigger boats?