Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2022, 09:31 PM

Default Looking for a home for a dog

Normally I'd post this in the classifieds section, but the situation is getting a little urgent for that.

I have a year old male dog that I'm looking for a home for. He's about a year old, and mostly an extremely good dog with a few flaws.

A little backstory on him. I got him as a 4 month old half starved pup claimed to be a Kangal. He was being kept with 10 other dogs of varying sizes and breeds, and one cane corso had an absolute hate on for him. I was looking for a Kangal to be a livestock guardian. So, I thought it would be a good match. After about a week of owning him, he started to look a lot more like a northern European shepherd type of breed (German Shepherd, Dutch Shepherd, etc.). He's shown no interest in my livestock, guarding or otherwise. My guesstimate is that he's currently about 80#.

The pros on him. He's got many of the basics down. He'll sit down, lay, sit up (both close and from a ways away), stay, wait to eat till you tell him, leave food or other things when told to leave it, shake a paw, waits till he's told he can come through a door so he's not pushing to get in and out, goes to his bed when told, leads fairly well on a slip lead, among other things. He loves kids, like he absolutely loves kids. He seems pretty friendly with dogs too. He rides well in the back of the truck. I haven't taken time to house train him due to allergies, but the previous place said that he was house broken. He shows a temperament that he could be a good service dog. Mischief with him has been minimal. He really likes to please.

He also sits and stands nice and square, so to me that's an indication that he's likely not going to have to deal with hip displacia issues.

The cons. He needs a large fenced yard. He gets following his nose, and winds up far from home. He's shown little signs of being an escape artist, more of a forgetting where he is while following his nose. He will come when called when he's off looking at stuff. So, I have to keep him tied, as I don't have a fenced area for dogs. I'm currently about to be really busy farming, and won't have much time to exercise him, etc. He also has no interest currently in fetch. He watches whatever it is go by, and looks at you like, "What did you do that for?"

The other problem (not this dog's fault) is that the livestock guardian dog I have seems to think that he's of a size that he needs to be played with rough to learn to deal with coyotes. So, the LGD is trying to teach him to fight, and he's just not into that. So, the little duffer doesn't really have anyone to play with in the traditional sense. The LGD will try to show him something, and give him an opportunity to do it back, and the little guy just runs to hide. The other dog is frankly faster and much much stronger, so I'm concerned that the little duffer might get hurt.

I'm only looking for the amount I paid for him back. Training is free. Just want him to have a good home. I don't feel it's responsible to hand him off to a shelter.

Some pics:
2022-05-06_09-24-21 by wolverine00089, on Flickr
2022-05-06_09-24-33 by wolverine00089, on Flickr
2022-05-06_09-29-07 by wolverine00089, on Flickr
Old 05-07-2022, 04:01 PM

Nice looking dog

Looks a bit skiddish / shy in that one picture

Needs some time to get its confidence back

Hope your plan works out for you
Old 05-07-2022, 04:51 PM

Good looking dog for sure. He is not a fighter, he is a lover! I really hope you will find a good home for him. Every dog deserves a good home….
Old 05-07-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Good looking dog for sure. He is not a fighter, he is a lover! I really hope you will find a good home for him. Every dog deserves a good home….
X 2, I can't help you out but I wish you the best, and like mentioned above he finds a good home.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:41 PM

Good looking pooch. Certainly has the Kangal look, including the paws if not the size. You may have to bite the bullet and give him away to a good home if you're in a rush.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:44 PM

I'm asking for less than the adoption fees most shelters are asking.

He could be a kangal GSD cross.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Good looking pooch. Certainly has the Kangal look, including the paws if not the size. You may have to bite the bullet and give him away to a good home if you're in a rush.

x2.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 05-08-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
x2.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The thing that I found is that someone that can't pay a few hundred for a dog generally can't look after the dog properly anyways....
Old 05-08-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
The thing that I found is that someone that can't pay a few hundred for a dog generally can't look after the dog properly anyways....

Right. We have friends that foster and they say the same thing.

Creeky....

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 05-18-2022, 10:22 PM

Video of some of the training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsdc_c2ltJI
Old 05-18-2022, 11:16 PM

That’s a good boy!
Any luck finding him a new home?
Old 05-18-2022, 11:29 PM

I've had a few people interested, and not come to look.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:04 AM

Oh man that’s too bad…Please don’t turn him to the shelter….
I still have 2 more weeks to spend in a Facebook jail, but as soon as I am out I will post it in my community group. I remember a few people were asking about a dog…
Old 05-19-2022, 11:16 AM

I know of a fellow looking for a dog as his died of old age. He lives just south of Calgary on an acreage. He would probably take him if you were giving him away . He has an old Blue healer that is mostly blind and deaf . The man has a heart of gold and would take great care of him . He is retired and always home .
I know he is to broke to pay for a dog . So there is one option. Message me if
you cant find anyone else .
403 701 9984
Old 05-19-2022, 12:09 PM

Handsome fellow he is. I hope you find a good home for him. Kind eyes too. Good luck sir.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:25 PM

I haven't taken time to house train him

So, you're trying to get rid of a dog that craps in the house ? Always no. 1 at our house and more difficult to teach with age.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-19-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Oh man that’s too bad…Please don’t turn him to the shelter….
I still have 2 more weeks to spend in a Facebook jail, but as soon as I am out I will post it in my community group. I remember a few people were asking about a dog…
I appreciate that. I live down by Vulcan. I've had a few inquiries from Edmonton, but nothing panned out as they didn't want to drive that far to see him. I don't understand that. I've driven to Foreskin John, Grand Prairie, Regina, and Brandon to look at dogs that I rejected.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I haven't taken time to house train him

So, you're trying to get rid of a dog that craps in the house ? Always no. 1 at our house and more difficult to teach with age.

Grizz
I have exposure allergies to dogs. More than 20-30 min, and I start getting rashes, and over an hour, and the eyes are swelling shut. Otherwise, I'd keep him as a pet.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travco1 View Post
I know of a fellow looking for a dog as his died of old age. He lives just south of Calgary on an acreage. He would probably take him if you were giving him away . He has an old Blue healer that is mostly blind and deaf . The man has a heart of gold and would take great care of him . He is retired and always home .
I know he is to broke to pay for a dog . So there is one option. Message me if
you cant find anyone else .
403 701 9984
If that old timer needs a dog, I give a few buck towards it. Seems a dog needs an man and a man needs a dog. A few bucks shouldn’t be the reason it can’t happen. Let me know if I can help some.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:46 PM

My advice is cut your losses and give the dog to the old boy that Travco1 mentioned. Sleep good knowing the dog is safe and has a good home.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I appreciate that. I live down by Vulcan. I've had a few inquiries from Edmonton, but nothing panned out as they didn't want to drive that far to see him. I don't understand that. I've driven to Foreskin John, Grand Prairie, Regina, and Brandon to look at dogs that I rejected.
I wouldn't buy a dog from a guy with a nick name like that either.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I wouldn't buy a dog from a guy with a nick name like that either.
How would a guy get a nickname like that?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post

Likely watches dirty videos. Could be a self-styled actor too. One never knows. I think 270Person is an actor like that too.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post

His foreskin precedes him into any room.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Likely watches dirty videos. Could be a self-styled actor too. One never knows. I think 270Person is an actor like that too.

I'm Jewish. Haven't had the part being referenced since the mohel dropped by early in my life. Apparently it was the first time he'd had to use a come-along and a chain saw.

Apologies if this should have been posted in the Best Skinning Knives thread.

Last edited by 270person; 05-20-2022 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
My advice is cut your losses and give the dog to the old boy that Travco1 mentioned. Sleep good knowing the dog is safe and has a good home.
X2, most people consider me a good responsible animal owner but I wouldn't pay much for a dog or cat. It's become just another demand versus supply issue and all too often ends up with people who have no business owning a dog , then drop him off at a shelter when they figure that out.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-20-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
X2, most people consider me a good responsible animal owner but I wouldn't pay much for a dog or cat. It's become just another demand versus supply issue and all too often ends up with people who have no business owning a dog , then drop him off at a shelter when they figure that out.

Grizz
This is what I've been trying to avoid. I've turned away a few people that wanted him.

I get the impression that he may be best with a family with kids because he likes that constant stimulation. But, maybe a good older man would be good too. Most chicks I know are not good with dogs. They expect the dog to live in a crate 2/3 of it's life because they can't get it to do what they want. They want to be the dog's friend, and the dog sees that as a signal to run all over them, sometimes literally. Seen it happen repeatedly.

Last edited by amosfella; 05-20-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I'm Jewish. Haven't had the part being referenced since the mohel dropped by early in my life. Apparently it was the first time he'd had to use a come-along and a chain saw.

Apologies if this should have been posted in the Best Skinning Knives thread.
Shalom brother! Awesome reply, lol!
Old 05-30-2022, 11:30 AM

Update. Still looking for a home for this guy. Folks have said they're coming to look and never shown up.

Been working with him on telling him to stay from a much further distance. He can be a full out run around 50-100 feet away, and I shout at him to stay, the breaks go screeching on, and he lays down.

One thing I haven't mentioned is that I have trained him with an e-collar. It's a Dogtra T&B. Stimulation is generally set at 12-16 out of 128, so very low. Just enough to tap him on the shoulder to let him know that he's being talked to. Not looking to punch him in the face with it. Vibrate/page is bad/don't do that, and beep is come to me/house. If you don't call to him while beeping, he just goes to the house and runs around it till he finds you.

E-collar isn't constantly on him. He behaves and listens really well without it. I mostly use it to teach him a new behavior. One he's got the behavior, he'll do just fine without it.

Last edited by amosfella; 05-30-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:07 PM
Banned

Nice looking but a shy dog. Hope you find home for him soon.