Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2022, 09:05 PM

Default Horse Purchae Red Deer

Looking for a horse for my teenage daughter and found a lead in Red Deer. Hoping that someone on the forum might be an expert or know someone that I can pay to check it out for me? Someone nearby.

I'm in Nelson and no nothing about horses, except they seem expensive.

Thx

Oliver
Old 05-19-2022, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Looking for a horse for my teenage daughter and found a lead in Red Deer. Hoping that someone on the forum might be an expert or know someone that I can pay to check it out for me? Someone nearby.

Thx

Oliver
what kind of horse are you looking for? lots of shysters in the horse industry.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Lots of shysters in every industry
Old 05-19-2022, 10:24 PM

Just go outside and start lighting 100 bills on fire its cheaper
What kind of horse is she looking at ? What does she want it for ?
Old 05-19-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
My daughter is a vaulted but expanding into riding. She is taking lessons in dressage, jumping , and Trail riding. A ridden hourse, at least 7 yrs, bigger horse. Something safe to ride.

Last edited by nelsonob1; 05-19-2022 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:03 PM

Unfortunately that's the same type of horse everybody wants to buy. And usually if someone has a horse that good they don't have to advertise to sell it. You're smart to seek out a knowledgeable hand to look them over for you.

I'm thinking $5,000 - $10,000
Old 05-19-2022, 11:18 PM

Check around Nelson for horse sharing or rentals. Also see if a horse boarding places want experienced rider to work their horses. Could ride free
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-19-2022, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Check around Nelson for horse sharing or rentals. Also see if a horse boarding places want experienced rider to work their horses. Could ride free
Long distance is no way to buy a horse, Kind of like looking for a wife, best ride first. :lol

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-20-2022, 06:42 AM

Default horse for daughter

Do it my 2 girls were raised with horses best lessons ever .keeps them out of trouble
Old 05-20-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Unfortunately that's the same type of horse everybody wants to buy. And usually if someone has a horse that good they don't have to advertise to sell it. You're smart to seek out a knowledgeable hand to look them over for you.

I'm thinking $5,000 - $10,000
Yes, that's my budget.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
She has been doing this for 2 years. It's time for her horse now - I didn't do all this fencing for gofers
Old 05-20-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
My daughter is a vaulted but expanding into riding. She is taking lessons in dressage, jumping , and Trail riding. A ridden hourse, at least 7 yrs, bigger horse. Something safe to ride.
If you're looking for all that in a single horse, and a sound horse, you might be in the over $20k mark. Add papers in, and could be more.

In quite a number of cases, girls take lessons, etc., then once they get a horse of their own, they ignore it. Probably because of availability. They think they can do it any time, so they put it off.

I'd just keep renting. The rental gives structure to the riding, and keeps things going.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:02 AM

it sounds like a Warnblood is the type of Horse that meets your requirements.They are in demand and call for a high Dollar.. Start around. 8-$10 K and up to the six figures.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Thx

Oliver
You might be best off to pay a vet for a pre purchase examination. I have no idea what they charge for this service, but it is likely expensive. But likely less expensive than buying a dud horse.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
it sounds like a Warnblood is the type of Horse that meets your requirements.They are in demand and call for a high Dollar.. Start around. 8-$10 K and up to the six figures.
Hardly a beginner horse and specialized, breed is less important than disposition and training.

Grizz

Old 05-20-2022, 08:30 AM

I’m to fair away to help, sorry.

If it was me I’d look for an older horse, 5 years with an old horse will teach her a lot of horsemanship. A 7 year old broke horse is still a 7 year old horse. At that age they start becoming teenagers and get a mind of their own that requires correction a bit more. A good 16 to 20 year old just wants to be cared for and is very willing if treated right.

None of my business of course, but like every other cowboy, ask a question and we’ll give you the right advice. The guy beside us alway gives bad advice.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:47 AM

Ask around in the horse community. There’s lots of people/places that will exchange mucking out stalls for hrs of riding in exchange.

If you don’t already, get her riders insurance, cheap and worth it.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Long distance is no way to buy a horse, Kind of like looking for a wife, best ride first. :lol

Grizz
Hence I said check around Nelson… cause he lives there.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-20-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
She has been doing this for 2 years. It's time for her horse now - I didn't do all this fencing for gofers
Then definitely start asking around locally with any riding stables, trainers etc.

Post on the local cowboy watering holes or grocery shopping areas.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:05 AM

Best to make the drive, or find one closer to home. We are in the process of purchsing a horse for our daughter. We viewed a few and had our daughters trainer with us who gave her a mini lesson on the horses we viewed just to make sure they were a good fit. We found one by Edmonton, and have a pre purchase exam booked. Cost was $300, and I think $200 per joint if we decide to have any exrayed.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm View Post
Best to make the drive, or find one closer to home. We are in the process of purchsing a horse for our daughter. We viewed a few and had our daughters trainer with us who gave her a mini lesson on the horses we viewed just to make sure they were a good fit. We found one by Edmonton, and have a pre purchase exam booked. Cost was $300, and I think $200 per joint if we decide to have any exrayed.
Better add transport costs into the price of the horse, not inconsequential either.

Grizz

Old 05-20-2022, 10:48 AM

As far as I understand a single horse gets lonely.Perhaps you should get 2 or a donkey for a companion.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
As far as I understand a single horse gets lonely.Perhaps you should get 2 or a donkey for a companion.

100%. Horses need a buddy horse/herd animals, abusive to keep them solitary.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 05-20-2022, 11:02 AM

Yup the equine industry. 24
posts and 28 opinions......
Old 05-20-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post

Just go outside and start lighting 1000 bills on fire its cheaper
What kind of horse is she looking at ? What does she want it for ?
There, I fixed it for you.

Drewski
Old 05-20-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Thx

Oliver
Hate to break this to you, but if your looking at warmbloods your in for some serious sticker shock.

In 1990 barely halter broke colts and fillies out of the Olds College warmblood program would be brought into the farrier science shop for foot training ahead of their big sale-starting price back then was a cool 8k.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology

Last edited by creeky; 05-20-2022 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Thx

Oliver
My neighbor got into horses this last year. He's into 4 horses for over $50k. Non of the horses are papered. They're 'mutt' horses. But mutt doesn't mean badly trained. But they're not fancy trained either like you're looking for. They're basic riding horses.

He got hit with real sticker shock on hay this year. Lumber for his pens would have been a lot worse if he hadn't had a pile of it laying around, and a shop to convert into a barn.

I'd recommend getting a dog. They're a lot cheaper to feed, and love you a lot more. Although if you take a dog to a 'force free' trainer, you might as well light your money on fire. You'll get better use out of it that way. The fire will at least warm you momentarily.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
My neighbor got into horses this last year. He's into 4 horses for over $50k. Non of the horses are papered. They're 'mutt' horses. But mutt doesn't mean badly trained. But they're not fancy trained either like you're looking for. They're basic riding horses.

He got hit with real sticker shock on hay this year. Lumber for his pens would have been a lot worse if he hadn't had a pile of it laying around, and a shop to convert into a barn.

I'd recommend getting a dog. They're a lot cheaper to feed, and love you a lot more. Although if you take a dog to a 'force free' trainer, you might as well light your money on fire. You'll get better use out of it that way. The fire will at least warm you momentarily.
People are already saying hay prices will likely be even higher this fall, I know of a couple of ranchers in desperate straits as is.

Grizz

Old 05-20-2022, 03:52 PM

Holy Comely Boys,

The post was pretty narrow in scope. Just looking to see if someone knowledgeable can take a first blush view on a horse in Red Deer.

I know to have it Vet checked, my daughters trainer will do final inspection but I got to fly her from Vancouver and would like someone local to take a look first because in this market, I need to deposit down immediately otherwise the horse is gone - as it did in this case. Yes I am looking locally, I have several connections looking after that but in 3 months no leads. I have had a few leads in Alberta but its difficult to react quickly on something 8 hours away - hence my post.

I also have a dog, and yes I will be getting a vaulter too - just need a riding horse for now and if it gets super lonely in the meantime, I will sleep in the field with it.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Holy Comely Boys,

The post was pretty narrow in scope. Just looking to see if someone knowledgeable can take a first blush view on a horse in Red Deer.

I know to have it Vet checked, my daughters trainer will do final inspection but I got to fly her from Vancouver and would like someone local to take a look first because in this market, I need to deposit down immediately otherwise the horse is gone - as it did in this case. Yes I am looking locally, I have several connections looking after that but in 3 months no leads. I have had a few leads in Alberta but its difficult to react quickly on something 8 hours away - hence my post.

I also have a dog, and yes I will be getting a vaulter too - just need a riding horse for now and if it gets super lonely in the meantime, I will sleep in the field with it.

Thanks
AO never disappoints. 😊