Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM

Default sighting in my savage 10xp predator 22-250 need help

Well I finally got the rifle and picked up a few boxes of Winchester from canadian tire 55Grain

And I seem to be getting the odd stray bullet about 3to 4 inches at a 100 yards

Does anyone recommend , is there a certain ammount of shooting to break in the rifle ?

also I will try and go out and buy a different brand tonight ?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 PM

I had the same issue with my 243 and factory ammo when I first got it. Shooting handloads which helpe a lot. Used gun juice to coat the inside of the barrel which also helped. Have nice tight groups now. When I bought my 243 I spent a week cleaning it before I even put a bullet threw it. The gun was really dirty from factory. Can't wait to get my 204 ruger and 6.5 creedmor long range varmits from savage. Then I start the breaking in process again.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:09 PM

Smile

First make sure barrel is clean. Use good quality of bore cleaner .Some times it will take some time to get it clean.If patch is not white and clean the rifling is not clean .
If that does not help try different ammo .Not all rifles like all ammo, some rifles shoot one kind of ammo better then others .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 01-27-2011, 05:48 PM

hmm my pred sav 22-250 works cadillac, i just broke it in and got super accurate handloads after its initial test batch, like the other guys say some guns dont like some bullets. my 204 doesnt like boattails, my 8mm mauser doesnt like anything bigger than 150s and my 270 doesnt like remington accutips. got to just pick up a pack of each and experiment, someone will buy the leftover bullets from here. use a rest too for sighting in or sandbags, i find that is imperiative for sighting in/checking handloads
Old 01-27-2011, 05:51 PM

oh yeah i forgot ,your crown on your rifle could be screwed, from a factory rifle its happened to me 2 x's that was severe. thats a good way of throwing bullets off. might have to get it a crown job.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:13 PM

Smile Dead rest?

If you are not the variable, I'd try to find out if all the ammo weighs the same cartridge to cartridge. If you have a scale no need to read further. I balance a steel ruler on a knife edge, put one of those modern magnets at each end of the ruler. When you have it balanced, a shell will attach by the primer. If they are all the same I'll be very surprised. Anyway if you can find a group that are the same, shoot them and tell us what happens.

Oh if no magnets you can use a wooden ruler and stand the shells up at each end.