Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2010, 07:57 PM

Default New Cooper coming home!

I was at the Calgary gun show today and bought a new Cooper jackson hunter in .280 AI. This is the first brand new rifle i have ever bought( not counting the 10/22 I just bought).Although I've owned many rifles they have all been mildly used so this was a big day for me.I always wanted a Cooper since i read about them in a column written by G. Sitton years ago. Never thought I could afford one but thanks to a gracious layaway plan i bit the bullet today. Should have it home by July and ready to go for the fall.Really wanted the wood stock but i could not bear to scratch such a nice piece of woodand i guarantee this gun will get used. I opted for the synthetic stock with a Stainless barrel.

Super pumped right now!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:10 PM

I have two Jackson Hunters in 280AI,and am very pleased with them.I am sure that you will enjoy yours.I take it that you bought your gun from Clay?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:21 PM

Those Coopers are gorgeous rifles, color me envious. I can see your rationale picking a synthetic stocked model, as the wood on the Coopers I've seen is not something a guy would like to put much "field character" on.
You seem to have been bitten by the same bug I was this weekend. I wound up getting the same scope I just sold you two not long ago, but in a gunmetal finish
Old 04-03-2010, 08:30 PM

I did indeed by it from Clay. He was awesome to deal with and I have a feeling there might be another Cooper in the very near future to keep this one company

What you shooting out your AI's Elkhunter?

Ya Caber I got bit too but that bug has been nawing on my butt for a while. When i picked up that cooper it was a done deal!!

It will wear a vx III 4.5 x 14 and i seriously can't wait to get it!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:50 PM

i bought a jackson hunter off clay too. but in .280 rem, not AI. and got the barrel and bolt fluted aswell. should have her home in about a month.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
i bought a jackson hunter off clay too. but in .280 rem, not AI. and got the barrel and bolt fluted aswell. should have her home in about a month.
I already have a .280 so i got the AI mostly just cause i want one.
This gonna be your first .280 Jay?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
I already have a .280 so i got the AI mostly just cause i want one.
This gonna be your first .280 Jay?
yep

i figure .280 is a do it all round......or so i explained to the old lady , i wont need another new rifle now. like she believes that bs line ive thrown around too many times.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
yep

i figure .280 is a do it all round......or so i explained to the old lady , i wont need another new rifle now. like she believes that bs line ive thrown around too many times.
You wont be disapointed i assure you. The .280 is an awesome cartridge. If you handload pm me and i can give you some good loads that have worked well for me.Congrats on your purchase.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
You wont be disapointed i assure you. The .280 is an awesome cartridge. If you handload pm me and i can give you some good loads that have worked well for me.Congrats on your purchase.
you too bud.
i seen elkhunters cooper out at the range last fall and wanted one since. i think he may be on the cooper pay roll by now.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
you too bud.
i seen elkhunters cooper out at the range last fall and wanted one since. i think he may be on the cooper pay roll by now.
I've wanted one forever...soon as i picked it up there was no way i was leaving without buying one. May have to do some creative financing for a bit but it will be worth it.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
What you shooting out your AI's Elkhunter?
I am shooting the 140gr TTSX at 3150fps to 3175fps,but I still have some fine tuning to do on the loads.

Quote:
i seen elkhunters cooper out at the range last fall and wanted one since. i think he may be on the cooper pay roll by now
Not on the payroll,but I have purchased six Coopers,as well as other guns from Clay.The only Coopers that I didn't keep were an Excalibur in 280AI,and a Classic in 17Mach2.Both rifles shot well,but neither fit me as well as the Jackson hunters,so both were replaced with Jackson Hunters in the same chamberings.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I've wanted one forever...soon as i picked it up there was no way i was leaving without buying one. May have to do some creative financing for a bit but it will be worth it.

ya , clay has some pretty awesome layaway plan. i have the rifle payed off now. just have to make a couple payments on the new zeiss and shes on her way home.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
clay has some pretty awesome layaway plan.
Luckily,I am not a fan of wood,and I won't use the layaway plan or I could get myself into some serious financial trouble.

My only complaint with Cooper is waiting for the guns to be built and delivered to Clay,so he can get them to me.At this point the backlog can be several months if Clay doesn't have what you want in stock.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Clay told me he is pretty sure he has one in stock so i'm hopin he does . Should know ealry next week. The layaway plan is the only way i can afford this rifle right now so it works for me. I'm not in a huge rush just hopin to get it by July or August so i can use it this fall....if i have to wait so be it. Been waiting 15 years to get one so a few months is no big deal....owning a Cooper is a huge deal to me
Old 04-04-2010, 08:43 AM

Good choice in rifle and caliber. I have 4 coopers with the 5th on its way. I love the feel of the jackson game rifles too. My .280ai is the classic. I'm shooting 140gr acubonds over imr 4831. Load taken from nosler's manual. Clay is a fantastic fellow to deal with, easy going and good customer service.