Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-28-2020, 09:11 PM

Default New bow, which one?

So I'm looking to get back into archery. I had a PSE lighting flite, sold it a few years ago. I'm out of the loop, I have no idea which are the good hunting bows right now. I would like a quiet one obviously. My draw length is long like 30 to 31. Any suggestions of where to start would be appreciated. A side note, I never have arrowed anything, but had 2 huge bull elk within 10 yrds. One came in so quick I had no time to draw and the other hung up behind the brush and I could not hold the draw any longer as back then I was only using fingers. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:23 PM

I switched from Hoyt to Mathews this spring. Really wanted to try a Bowtech as my son picked up one a year ago and he really likes it. However no one around home had a left handed Bowtech and after shooting the Mathews I decided that it was everything I wanted in a bow and didn't want to wait for possibly months to try a Bowtech and maybe not have a Mathews there to compare with and bought it. Right when COVID happened. Very pleased with the bow. Last year I tried a 1400 dollar Hoyt and liked my 15 year old one better. Didn't try a top of the line as they were just too much money for me. I would suggest going into Jim Bows or Calgary Archery Center and seeing what you like best shooting them. Some good reviews on You Tube too on various bows. I think most the bows today from all the manufacturers are decent to fantastic bows.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:32 AM

I was in the market for a new bow two years ago. The local bow shop had a Prime in stock earlier that caught my eye. The more research I did the more I fell in love with Prime bows. I have not regretted my decision absolutely love it!!
Old 06-30-2020, 12:47 AM

I just bought a prime also really like it
Old 06-30-2020, 08:34 AM

I got the new Bowtech Revolt this year. It is an amazing bow. Solid back wall, nice brace height so its forgiving, fast, smooth draw cycle BUT......

It has the Dead Lock Cam technology. This means you can paper tune your bow with an allen key. No pressing the bow and twisting cables or shimming top hats.

This is my second Bowtech and I am in love with it
Old 06-30-2020, 09:25 AM

I'll put in a vote for APA - fast, quiet and smooth. Plus they are Canadian made.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:12 PM

Another vote for APA, I am currently shooting the Mamba 33MT. I like the slim limbs and light weight. It is a speed bow,353 and has a draw curve that takes a bit of getting used to. Bare bow had quite a bit of vibration with 400 grain arrows though it was quiet. Added the apache stabilizer and it is whisper quiet and dead in the hands. They offer a long draw length of 31.5".
Old 06-30-2020, 03:50 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I'll have to do some browsing now.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
Another vote for APA, I am currently shooting the Mamba 33MT. I like the slim limbs and light weight. It is a speed bow,353 and has a draw curve that takes a bit of getting used to. Bare bow had quite a bit of vibration with 400 grain arrows though it was quiet. Added the apache stabilizer and it is whisper quiet and dead in the hands. They offer a long draw length of 31.5".

I am shooting the same bow (left handed version). Just picked it up this past Spring. Was super easy to get used to and you’re right - it is fast, especially at 70lbs with a 29.5” draw. Haven’t sent one through the chronograph yet but the factory card said 345 FPS with a 350 gr arrow. My arrows are heavier so it will be slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 09:37 PM

For those who are buying APAs - are you ordering them online, or are you going to a retailer so you can try them out first?

I'm in the same boat as the OP - plus there tends to be less selection with me being a lefty and all...
Old 06-30-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
For those who are buying APAs - are you ordering them online, or are you going to a retailer so you can try them out first?

I'm in the same boat as the OP - plus there tends to be less selection with me being a lefty and all...

I went in to a local shop, Wyld Archery, and had a look. They had the model I wanted in stock. I wound up going with a different colour, but it came within 2 weeks to Wyld.

APA also has a good presence at the sportsman shows and will mail you a demo if there isn’t a nearby dealer.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Bryan View Post
I went in to a local shop, Wyld Archery, and had a look. They had the model I wanted in stock. I wound up going with a different colour, but it came within 2 weeks to Wyld.

APA also has a good presence at the sportsman shows and will mail you a demo if there isn’t a nearby dealer.

Great to know! Thanks!
Old 06-30-2020, 11:30 PM

Ordered mine directly from APA, it arrived in less than a week.