Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-12-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
I have a few questions, I have seen both good and bad mounts from them. More good though. Anyways Does the taxidermist do all the fleshing and that type of stuff before it goes to a tannery?? Or do they do the skinning side of things?? Now since the cat had to get tanned BEFORE the head mount was done, As a taxidermist is getting a hide back in terrible shape like that common?? After it got mounted, why would it have to go back to the tannery to get the felt put on?? Is that normal practice too??
I skinned the cat out except for the head & feet & was in good condition with no holes other than ones from the broadhead. Cat was skinned within 2 hrs of kill & then frozen. Three days later I took it to Game Preserve Taxidermy. Part of the runaround I got from her was it was at 2 different rug makers to have felt mounted as she doesn't do that herself. Then finally she took it back to Western to have felt mounted (they do taxidermy also) a week or so before I was supposed to pick it up. So many lies & shenanigans from her I don't even know where to start.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:31 PM

I would call F&W. Not sure if there is anything they can do but this might be enough to lay charges in wasting that cat. What a shame that it was wasted.

You should definite take her to court to at least recoup the cost of the trip. Another local taxidermist was taken to court a few years ago over a similar thing with a bunch of African mounts that were destroyed while in his care.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
I would call F&W. Not sure if there is anything they can do but this might be enough to lay charges in wasting that cat. What a shame that it was wasted.

You should definite take her to court to at least recoup the cost of the trip. Another local taxidermist was taken to court a few years ago over a similar thing with a bunch of African mounts that were destroyed while in his care.
Well what is really funny to me is that she is threatening to sue me for slander over social media posts. I have nothing to hide & have only stated the truth in regards to dealing with her.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinggr81 View Post
I skinned the cat out except for the head & feet & was in good condition with no holes other than ones from the broadhead. Cat was skinned within 2 hrs of kill & then frozen. Three days later I took it to Game Preserve Taxidermy. Part of the runaround I got from her was it was at 2 different rug makers to have felt mounted as she doesn't do that herself. Then finally she took it back to Western to have felt mounted (they do taxidermy also) a week or so before I was supposed to pick it up. So many lies & shenanigans from her I don't even know where to start.
Been a few years since iv had anything on a board, but the hide looks like it was dealt with terribly. The mount is terrible too but I would think you could only work with what ya got kinda thing??
Old 05-13-2017, 05:38 PM
Banned

Old 05-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Gone Hunting

I have to ask myself why any taxidermist would even do anything with a hide that was in such condition?
If it was sub par when it was thawed, then that should have been the end of the project.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-13-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdan66 View Post
Okay, I rarely post here because of the stuff I read, and this may be the last... You're proud of this behavior because of why? Yeash, nice way to represent our military. Way to justify the reputation that members of our military have... 35 going on 8. I'm sorry, I can usually bite my tongue. Grow up, I hope you do
Not have kids that you model this exceptional behavior for.
You're kidding?

This is EXACTLY the kinda soldier Id want to send somewhere to kill the enemy........

You want nicely mannered, role model type? Choose something else

Everyone wants people to be ass kissy to everyone. Thats how this country went in the toilet in the first place. .......
Old 05-13-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
You're kidding?

This is EXACTLY the kinda soldier Id want to send somewhere to kill the enemy........

Everyone wants people to be ass kissy to everyone. Thats how this country went in the toilet in the first place. .......
X2

Buddy got screwed and took some of his pals to confront the guy. I see no foul whatsoever.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:53 PM

I feel sorry for the OP... BUT the skin job on this animal is just as sad. I'm surprised she even took it... sorry about your trophy man!
Old 05-13-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Okay, I rarely post here because of the stuff I read, and this may be the last... You're proud of this behavior because of why? Yeash, nice way to represent our military. Way to justify the reputation that members of our military have... 35 going on 8. I'm sorry, I can usually bite my tongue. Grow up, I hope you do
Never said I was proud of it , it was just something that had to be done ,

And I really couldn't care what you think , those in the Canadian forces have a good enough reputation and most likely they also couldn't give a **** what you think

As for your statement "" very rarely post here ""

do us all a favour please and keep to that you TROLL
Old 05-14-2017, 07:41 AM

When you pick a taxidermist based on price point you will generally get what you pay for.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-14-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I took this cougar to Jeanette in September 2013 to get a rug done. She seemed quite pleasant to deal with & assured me she would have rug done within a year. Over the past three and a half years I have been given the runaround with nothing but lies & excuses. Finally in February I demanded that she give me back my cougar - finished or not. She assured me that it would be done at end of April. I contacted her on April 29th & she told me I could pick it up at Western Fur Tannery where it had been mounted on the felt. I called Western & they told me it wasn't done & they didn't really want to put it on felt, because it was in such poor condition. I was shocked to hear this, and asked if they could send me some pictures. The pictures said it all & I'm not having it finished, as it is a brutal mount, but still cost me my $600 deposit. Western also informed me that Jeanette had just dropped it off the previous week & had asked them to rush it so would be mounted on felt for the end of April. Since 2013 I have heard from several others who have also had taxidermy nightmares with Game Preserve Taxidermy. A good buddy of mine took in a beautiful coyote for full mount & when he picked it up she told him it wasn't the same coyote that he had dropped off & it was going to be $200 more than the original price that had been agreed upon. Another acquaintance took in a lynx for full mount, and again was shocked when he picked it up only to find out was a totally different lynx than the one he dropped off. If you are thinking of taking an animal in for mounting to Game Preserve Taxidermy then do yourself a favor & DON'T.

Attachment 133969

Attachment 133970

Attachment 133971

This is nothing new for her...she has been doing it for years. Why do people keep taking her things....she has been all over the internet with her crap for ages....wake up people.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Jeepers looks like road kill, ran over by a cement roller...sorry to,hear your bad luck but good for warning others.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-14-2017, 09:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
It's a internet hero story. No more, no less...if any serving member acts like this thier butt is at the receiving end of disciplinary actions.

Sorry for the derail, I guess you really got tondo your homework when seeking out a taxidermist, sometimes that little bit extra goes a long way.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-14-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
You're kidding?

HS I am disappointed in your comments. What if he had killed him with that punch? Would you condone that behaviour now. Being a former longstanding law enforcement official I thought you would have more common sense than that. With that line of reasoning I guess I should have decked the guy at Starbucks this morning for messing up my coffee order.

I don't know if you are suffering from PTSD ( I am really sorry if that is the case as I have a friend who suffers and it is a horrible burden to carry) or something else but your posts over past couple of years are regularly full of threats of violence and vigilante justice.

See you all on the other side because I am sure that calling out the great HS will get me a suspension or banned but assaulting someone and then destroying someone else trophy to make yourself feel better does not seem like the way to "keep society out of the toilet " as you referred

Peace out

DK
Old 05-14-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
It's a internet hero story. No more, no less...if any serving member acts like this thier butt is at the receiving end of disciplinary actions.

Sorry for the derail, I guess you really got tondo your homework when seeking out a taxidermist, sometimes that little bit extra goes a long way.
100% agree

There is zero chance as well that the MP would look the other way of a active member acting this way or representing the military let alone a posse of them enacting their own justice.

You my friend are a great story teller
Old 05-14-2017, 02:24 PM

When I google Game Preserve Taxidermy there is not one complaint on the BBB site. This is the one in Seba Beach. Have I got the wrong taxidermy or are there just no complaints to the Better Business Bureau?
Old 05-14-2017, 03:33 PM

Saw a wolf game preserve taxidermy did a couple years ago. Terrible work.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:17 PM

Yeah that is her that would be listed out of Seba Beach, but I'm pretty sure that she is actually out of Wildwood. She did a mule deer for me a couple years ago and I don't think she did a bad job. I like it better than a deer I got none from a taxidermy out of Drayton Valley, but I'm no expert. Looking at this post I will not be using her in the future tho.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:53 AM
Banned

I do think taxidermists should need to retain a level of certification. It's really too bad seeing peoples trophies ruined by poor scheduling. Happens time and time again. Such a travesty and frankly pathetic. But just as any business you get what you pay for. Do you buy a vehicle from a shady looking salesman? or a shady looking car lot? I bet this taxidermists shop looked very unprofessional.

SMH
Old 05-15-2017, 01:17 PM

I'm sorry but I laughed when I saw the ears. Wow. Horrible.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
I'm sorry but I laughed when I saw the ears. Wow. Horrible.
X2. Feel bad for the OP. I have a feeling that mount will end up on those joke threads of terrible/funny taxidermy slide shows.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
And here it is. What a joke is right. Nice "natural habitat". Brutal.

Attachment 133977
Not defending her work in ANY way, but she (or you) would not legally be allowed to bring native grasses from Wyoming into Canada.
Sorry for your loss of a nice trophy/memory.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Not defending her work in ANY way, but she (or you) would not legally be allowed to bring native grasses from Wyoming into Canada.
Sage brush is pretty abundant in Alberta....
Old 05-16-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
You have to admit though that straw looks brutal & ruins the mount. Many other types of natural local grasses that would've looked much better. Looks like total laziness & not caring to me.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
You have to admit though that straw looks brutal & ruins the mount. Many other types of natural local grasses that would've looked much better. Looks like total laziness & not caring to me.
No argument there...very bush league, excuse the pun
Old 05-17-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Sage brush is pretty abundant in Alberta....
The post I responded to said they wanted to bring back native grasses from Wyoming
Old 05-17-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
The post I responded to said they wanted to bring back native grasses from Wyoming
I don't know if that would even be a big deal. I haven't looked into it at all but cant imagine bringing sage grass over would be cause for concern. You can bring a carcass over basically unfettered. They don't like fruit transfer but not sure on something like grass....

Sorry for the derail
Old 05-17-2017, 11:21 PM

Unhappy

Worst cougar mount I have ever seen. I am sorry for your disaster.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:10 PM

Default Also scammed by Janette Hall Taxidermist

Quote:
I took this cougar to Jeanette in September 2013 to get a rug done. She seemed quite pleasant to deal with & assured me she would have rug done within a year. Over the past three and a half years I have been given the runaround with nothing but lies & excuses. Finally in February I demanded that she give me back my cougar - finished or not. She assured me that it would be done at end of April. I contacted her on April 29th & she told me I could pick it up at Western Fur Tannery where it had been mounted on the felt. I called Western & they told me it wasn't done & they didn't really want to put it on felt, because it was in such poor condition. I was shocked to hear this, and asked if they could send me some pictures. The pictures said it all & I'm not having it finished, as it is a brutal mount, but still cost me my $600 deposit. Western also informed me that Jeanette had just dropped it off the previous week & had asked them to rush it so would be mounted on felt for the end of April. Since 2013 I have heard from several others who have also had taxidermy nightmares with Game Preserve Taxidermy. A good buddy of mine took in a beautiful coyote for full mount & when he picked it up she told him it wasn't the same coyote that he had dropped off & it was going to be $200 more than the original price that had been agreed upon. Another acquaintance took in a lynx for full mount, and again was shocked when he picked it up only to find out was a totally different lynx than the one he dropped off. If you are thinking of taking an animal in for mounting to Game Preserve Taxidermy then do yourself a favor & DON'T.

Attachment 133969

Attachment 133970

Attachment 133971

My Boyfriend also took her furs 6 years ago and she completely ghosted him after he payed her over a grand never got them back . He had his first wolf he snared and 2 other furs in with her.
So we thought all was lost but yesterday he got a call from Western Fur Tannery and they informed him that they have all of his furs tanned . She had them tanned there 5 years ago took them home and let them sit in black bags then had her boy friend drop them back off aT WESTERN FUR TANNERY . they said that there is alot of furs from alot of people there that she screwed over. They are trying to contact everyone to return them .
So if she took your furs and cash and ghosted you ,you may be able to get them back .
I hope it's all returned to everyone and not wrecked .