Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-18-2020, 05:04 PM

Smile Taber Pheasant festival

Results out today, so who got drawn? Looks like i get to partake in the festivities this fall for a few days

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 06-18-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:46 PM

Default Not me

You're luck is better than mine...I got nothing! And all of my potential hunting buddies...nothing! Kinda bummed...have to set our own shoot up I guess...

Good luck to those that get it.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:51 AM

If anyone wants to check out a new area, Highway 41 Pheasant Festival is a go this year.
I will PM details and contacts to anyone interested.

Basically a 1 day 40 bird hunt in the Consort area.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 06-19-2020, 08:33 AM

I have done it in the past, It's a blast (pun intended) Phil.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:06 AM

Nothing for me this year. The wife got drawn one. A friend and his dad (hunting buddies we planned on sharing the experience with and invite each other if we win) both got none.

Couple friends we hang out with and their inner circle (5 individuals) all got none.

And then, my step son who's a first time hunter got 3 !!!! He has been prancing around like a peacock for 2 days since the results, knowing exactly how lucky he is.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:31 AM

Better luck than me....
Ever since they went to the submitting a for the draw, I've been shut out....

Think they should go to a priority system.....
At least that's my opinion.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:29 PM

hi @hillbillyreefer, thanks for the info. i heard about this event but never been before.
i looked up their website an it still says canceled/see you in 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
If anyone wants to check out a new area, Highway 41 Pheasant Festival is a go this year.
I will PM details and contacts to anyone interested.

Basically a 1 day 40 bird hunt in the Consort area.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:59 PM

Send info.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:38 AM

I’ll have to get the website updated sorry about that Deemoss.
Pms sent with basic info and contact information.

It was cancelled last year, some changes have been made in how it’s organized for 2020. The event will be entirely in the Consort area in 2020. In 2021 it will be in the Oyen area, the logistics of having it split up between the two communities was challenging to say the least.

If anyone would like more information please pm me.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 06-24-2020, 08:14 AM

The Highway41 Pheasant Fest Facebook page has been updated the website is still a work in progress.

https://m.facebook.com/Highway41Phea...096101/?type=3

Old 06-24-2020, 08:58 AM

$1500 per team - max 6 hunters - 2 dog handlers - Banquet tickets - takes place in Consort
Old 06-24-2020, 09:02 AM

X2 for a priority system.

Last time my family and I participated was 5 years ago, have not been drawn for a single day since then. Unfortunate as I think it is an excellent opportunity for the local community and organizers to showcase the the area, the sport and the comradery among hunters.

All good though, good luck to all those who have been drawn, its going to be a blast! (pun intended)
Old 06-24-2020, 06:48 PM

Looks like I was successful for all 3 days
Old 06-26-2020, 01:17 PM

No luck in four years applying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2020, 01:56 PM

Is Taber really that good? I've heard awful reviews.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:09 PM

Yes it is that good! Based on the awesome properties it is not a give me like majority of release sites. Especially if you get the river valleys for example. You need to work for it. We luck out a fair bit on wild birds. I don’t have a bad thing to say about it and i have had the opportunity to do taber a fair amount. Well organized. Great time. Can’t say the same about some others ie Stettler etc. Then on top of this no cost to participants. So no idea why people were whining
Old 06-26-2020, 06:37 PM

Default Yup another fan of Taber

The multitude of properties they have access to is incredible and in several years we have not seen any property that is less than fantastic. Probably seen 12 or more of the 40 sites they have. We dont even apply for Stettler anymore between bob tailed birds that couldnt fly to being given a property that was over grazed and the only place for the birds to hide was the farmers overgrown yard to yes we even got the gravel pit one year.
You will probably have to work hard for the birds in Taber with excellent cover and have good dogs but it is as close to a natural hunt as planted birds can get. Took us over 4 hours with 4 shooters and 4 well trained dogs to find our 8 birds last year and we literally covered miles to get them. The 90 km an hour wind for the last hour was just a bonus to make it interesting.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:51 AM

The Highway41PheasantFestival has a few spots left, it’s filling up rapidly. Thanks to everyone who’s signed up.

The Facebook page and website have been up dated again.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:36 PM

Would love to be drawn for Taber, but still no luck, I know guys who get drawn every year. It would be nice if they would spread it around a little more so the same guys don't get drawn every year. My wife, my son and I have all applied separately in each of the last three years to increase the odds of getting drawn and still no luck.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:52 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPHunter64 View Post
Would love to be drawn for Taber, but still no luck, I know guys who get drawn every year. It would be nice if they would spread it around a little more so the same guys don't get drawn every year. My wife, my son and I have all applied separately in each of the last three years to increase the odds of getting drawn and still no luck.

X2
Old 07-23-2020, 11:47 PM

I got chosen on the re-draw. It'll be my first time at taper pheasant fest. Hopefully a good time!
Old 08-27-2020, 09:20 PM

2 spots left for the Highway41 Pheasant Fest. Oct 24.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
The multitude of properties they have access to is incredible and in several years we have not seen any property that is less than fantastic. Probably seen 12 or more of the 40 sites they have. We dont even apply for Stettler anymore between bob tailed birds that couldnt fly to being given a property that was over grazed and the only place for the birds to hide was the farmers overgrown yard to yes we even got the gravel pit one year.
You will probably have to work hard for the birds in Taber with excellent cover and have good dogs but it is as close to a natural hunt as planted birds can get. Took us over 4 hours with 4 shooters and 4 well trained dogs to find our 8 birds last year and we literally covered miles to get them. The 90 km an hour wind for the last hour was just a bonus to make it interesting.
Ive hunted that same gravel pit, lots of climbing!