Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-11-2020, 03:32 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Northern B.C. First Nations call for reversal of grizzly bear hunting ban

Growing grizzly populations have led to fewer ungulates and increased fear of attacks says Chad Day

Chad Day is the president of the Tahltan Central Government which serves as the administrative governing body of the remote Tahltan Nation.

He said it is important for people to understand that not all areas of the province have conservation concerns about grizzlies, which can kill up to 40 ungulate calves each month, according to studies in Alaska and other parts of the United States.

“They are the apex predators in our country,” Day said. “They are extremely dangerous to not just other wildlife but to people and the conservation efforts of other (prey) species that we hold dear as Canadians, British Columbians and Indigenous people.”

“We just want to make sure that we make balanced decisions that are based in science and Indigenous knowledge rather than based in emotions from whatever the most popular opinion is in B.C. because we know that the average British Columbian doesn’t live amongst grizzly bears and understand those apex predators like we do.

https://www.quesnelobserver.com/news...r-hunting-ban/
Old 07-11-2020, 04:38 PM

Hunting probably has minimal impact on Grizzly numbers. As for ungulate calves blacks are just as big a predator, if not more so as they have higher densities.It will however make them wary of humans.

If the local native band is concerned then they should get out there and use their treaty rights and kill a few. They can come kill some of ours while they are at it as well !!
Old 07-11-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Hunting probably has minimal impact on Grizzly numbers. As for ungulate calves blacks are just as big a predator, if not more so as they have higher densities.It will however make them wary of humans.

If the local native band is concerned then they should get out there and use their treaty rights and kill a few. They can come kill some of ours while they are at it as well !!
Nope I think I’d rather be able to kill a grizzly then only a select few individuals. I’m all aboard on the reversal!
Old 07-11-2020, 07:20 PM
Banned

It’s about time someone else came to their senses

Hope that since this is a First Nations recommendation, someone listens and it gets some traction
👍
Old 07-11-2020, 10:15 PM

We need some AB reserves jumping on the bandwagon and going to bat for us here too. But realistically they won’t.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:55 AM

First Nations folks that don’t carry the water of the Leftist Orthodoxy tend to be ignored. Think pipelines/other oil & gas development as recent and blatant examples.

Maybe this time it’ll be different but I am not optimistic.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:51 AM

It's part of a play for first nations to take over management of wildlife and turn it into a commercial venue. In 20 years we will be buying our tags from the Aboriginals in these areas.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It's part of a play for first nations to take over management of wildlife and turn it into a commercial venue. In 20 years we will be buying our tags from the Aboriginals in these areas.
This is my opinion also, I'm glad my hunting days are almost done.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post

Undoubtably they do kill grizzly and black bears when the opportunity arises. Problem with that country up there is access rugged is an understatement. Those with deep pockets or who have saved can afford the logistics of getting into the back country. By backing the hunt it will bring back a little money into there economy and some large bears will get culled.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:45 AM

Default bears

BC people living in Lower Fraser/Vancouver area that do not have to deal with grizzly bears believe they All should be protected. The rest of BC where bears roam free have total different perspective about bears. Never let uninformed Greens call the shot.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Growing grizzly populations have led to fewer ungulates and increased fear of attacks says Chad Day

Chad Day is the president of the Tahltan Central Government which serves as the administrative governing body of the remote Tahltan Nation.

He said it is important for people to understand that not all areas of the province have conservation concerns about grizzlies, which can kill up to 40 ungulate calves each month, according to studies in Alaska and other parts of the United States.

“They are the apex predators in our country,” Day said. “They are extremely dangerous to not just other wildlife but to people and the conservation efforts of other (prey) species that we hold dear as Canadians, British Columbians and Indigenous people.”

“We just want to make sure that we make balanced decisions that are based in science and Indigenous knowledge rather than based in emotions from whatever the most popular opinion is in B.C. because we know that the average British Columbian doesn’t live amongst grizzly bears and understand those apex predators like we do.

https://www.quesnelobserver.com/news...r-hunting-ban/
Did we really need some native to bring up these concerns???

Good god, anyone with an IQ of more than 4 would have predicted the same damn thing... Unfortunately the govt has to get the nod from Natives before anything is done or something will change... This country is DONE!
Old 07-12-2020, 01:08 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
My perception as well.

On one hand the Tahltan publicly tell everyone Stay Off Our Land!!

On the other this step basically demanding the Grizzly hunt return.

Go figure that the Day family and a couple of their buddies have outfitting concessions in the area that would greatly benefit were they allowed to offer Grizzly Hunts. There is some possibility that they may simply circumvent provincial law, and offer the hunts irregardless. If they do so, that represents the largest step to date in the direction you are suggesting...

Nog
Old 07-12-2020, 01:20 PM

I know a few guys that have sold out to Native Consortium's. I am not sure how many areas are under Native Management, but quite a few. I bet upcoming sales to Native Consortium's of Hunting Concessions increase exponentially in future years. With the Covid factor, and who knows how long it will last, these Consortium's could be the only chance for an Outfitter to sell his Concession.

Not sure about B.C. but I believe in the Northwest Territories any Concession that is to be sold, the Natives have first right to purchase ahead of any outside buyers.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Undoubtably they do kill grizzly and black bears when the opportunity arises. Problem with that country up there is access rugged is an understatement. Those with deep pockets or who have saved can afford the logistics of getting into the back country. By backing the hunt it will bring back a little money into there economy and some large bears will get culled.
I back the reopening 100% in BC should be opened in AB as well.

Its all political BS.