Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2016, 06:29 PM

Default Minn Kota engine mount trolling motors.

Anyone have any experience with these types of trolling motors.
Just looking for some feed back. Did some surfing on the inter web today and they look pretty slick!
Cheers
Old 07-04-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stally77 View Post
Anyone have any experience with these types of trolling motors.
Just looking for some feed back. Did some surfing on the inter web today and they look pretty slick!
Cheers
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Trolli.../Engine-Mount/
Old 07-05-2016, 10:59 AM

I've seen mixed reviews on them, but haven't used them myself. Primarily used for I/O boats where there is no where else to mount an electric on the bow or stern.

SS
Old 07-05-2016, 11:52 AM

Had a friend who had one of those on his outboard. It worked great for trolling. Biggest problem he had was with breaking the props when in trash filled waters like Tobin Lake.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:44 PM

I would think that one of the downsides is that someone would always need to be near the console in order to steer - if you like to fish from the bow or stern on a pedestal, that could be an issue.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:44 PM

They're a last resort in my opinion.

They have some major limitations.

The first is you have to steer with your main motors steering. That means having it running if you have electric power steering or constantly using your hydraulic steering. On top of that, you're limited to the very narrow steering range of your outboard. Sharp steering corrections to adjust for wind/waves/structure are nearly impossible and you'll be constantly cranking your steering wheel from lock to lock.

The second major downfall is that they mount on top of your cavitation plate, so they aren't very far into the water. Any kind of waves and they cavitation like crazy and lost thrust.

The last downfall and maybe the worst depending on your fishing style, is they do not back up well. Back trolling or trying to hover on a spot are pretty much impossible.

The bottom line is they're better than nothing, especially in ideal conditions and straight lines, but your boat control is in no way comparable to a bow mount or transom mount trolling motor.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=Walleyedude;3270438]They're a last resort in my opinion.

They have some major limitations.

The first is you have to steer with your main motors steering. That means having it running if you have electric power steering or constantly using your hydraulic steering. On top of that, you're limited to the very narrow steering range of your outboard. Sharp steering corrections to adjust for wind/waves/structure are nearly impossible and you'll be constantly cranking your steering wheel from lock to lock.

The second major downfall is that they mount on top of your cavitation plate, so they aren't very far into the water. Any kind of waves and they cavitation like crazy and lost thrust.

The last downfall and maybe the worst depending on your fishing style, is they do not back up well. Back trolling or trying to hover on a spot are pretty much impossible.

The bottom line is they're better than nothing, especially in ideal conditions and straight lines, but your boat control is in no way comparable to a bow mount or transom mount trolling motor.[/QUOTE

I'm looking for an alternative for a kicker motor. Although my 115 is capable of trolling. It's slowest is 3 mph. And it's a 2 stoke that pops and farts while idling. I do have a bow mount Minn Kota too. That I
Use for trolling really slow for walleye. I was thinking to use the motor mount style it for slower speeds when I'm using my downriggers. But I can see where it would be limited when the lake is rough. I don't have power or hydraulic steering in my boat so don't have to worry about that. but yeah. There's got to be a better option. Thanks for the feed back. I assume you had one at one point?
Old 07-11-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I'm looking for an alternative for a kicker motor. Although my 115 is capable of trolling. It's slowest is 3 mph. And it's a 2 stoke that pops and farts while idling. I do have a bow mount Minn Kota too. That I use for trolling really slow for walleye. I was thinking to use the motor mount style it for slower speeds when I'm using my downriggers. But I can see where it would be limited when the lake is rough. I don't have power or hydraulic steering in my boat so don't have to worry about that. but yeah. There's got to be a better option. Thanks for the feed back. I assume you had one at one point?
I haven't owned one personally, but I've got a couple buddies that have them on their ski/family boats, and I've fished with them several times. Those are my experiences and their complaints lol.

If you've already got a bow mount, then in my opinion, there's nothing that the engine mount will add for you. It won't do anything better or more efficiently that your bow mount. It will be slower, and you'll have less boat control. If you didn't have a bow mount or had no way of mounting one, then and only then would I consider the engine mount.

I understand that trolling with a 115 2 stroke isn't ideal. I'm not sure how else to do it "properly" without a kicker. If you use your 115, a trolling plate mounted to the motor is an option, but a drift sock setup might be your best option. They're a bit of a pain to stow/deploy and you'll lose a little bit of boat control, but they will definitely slow your boat down. Either a single or double system, hung from the front of your boat so they're under the boat rather than behind it and in the way, is pretty effective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1242668778_Trolling_Bag_System.jpg (15.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 1242668784_Underboat_Bag.jpg (9.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 07-11-2016, 10:27 AM

Wayleye dude.
So do u just run a rope from your tie down
Points of the front sides?
Old 07-11-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Wayleye dude.
So do u just run a rope from your tie down
Points of the front sides?
Yep.

Run the rope from one front cleat to the other. Keep it a little short so that it's tight against the front of the bow and just at or below the water line, you don't want it too long pulling back under the water. Once you've got that length figure out, attach the sock(s) to the middle of the rope. When you've got it all rigged up, it's set, you don't have to adjust it after that, just put it in and pull it out when you need it.

Be SURE that leash on your drift sock is short enough that it won't get sucked back into your prop.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:25 PM

That looks like a good set up. Do u have any suggestions for good drift socks. I looked for a couple different styles at Bass pro ranging from $20-$120
Obviously you get what you pay for.
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-15-2016, 02:07 PM

I bought a 30 from Cabelas for $160 to fit on my Intex Mariner 4.

So far so good the motor works fine Hooked up to an 840amp deep cycle RV/marine battery ($120 at auto value). I have gotten over 4 hours out of the battery during one of my recent trips. When you first buy the battery make sure to charge it over night, you never know how long it might have been sitting around for.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
Had a friend who had one of those on his outboard. It worked great for trolling. Biggest problem he had was with breaking the props when in trash filled waters like Tobin Lake.

Your friend needs to be more careful when he's out fishing. Tobin isn't a natural lake, it's man made. This means there are lots of trees still standing under water that were covered as the lake filled. Once you know where those stands of covered trees are, you can avoid them and avoid damaging your prop(s). One other thing to keep in mind, there are a lot of sawyers in that lake so when you're driving on it, you need to keep your eyes peeled and looking in the direction you're travelling or you'll have bigger problems than a broken prop on your electric trolling motor!

I've fished Tobin many times with my best friend back home in S'toon and he's running a Minn Kota bow mount. We've never had a problem even one time with his. Never broke a prop or anything like that.

As for the Minn Kota itself, wonderful to have, especially on the calm days. His comes with a foot control which leave his hands free as he's sitting up on the casting deck.

I'm going to be mounting one on my new (to me) boat that I'm picking up next weekend. I'm going to buy one that bow mounts and has the foot control. If possible, I'm going to get the one with the transducer in it so I can forward mount a depth finder as well. It's all going to depend on $$$
Old 07-17-2016, 09:18 AM

You usually don't leave your bow mounted troller in the water when you expect to cruise at 30 mph. Until you are on plane, those engine mounted trollers are in the water hitting what ever may be floating in their direction. We obviously avoided obstacles that we saw but when the water is muddy, it is tough to see everything that is floating.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2016, 08:50 PM

I put one on my boat (17ft ski boat with a 150hp) I think it works pretty good. Didn't want to drill into my hull to put a bow mount on (I know, I know a bow mount is the only why to go)
I don't experience any loss of speed or handling, beats choking on 2 stk fumes, can troll slower than the main motor and a drift sock, easy installation, when you want to run back to a spot you fire up the main motor and go.

Reverse is useless, they are expensive, even if you go with the 55lbs thrust one you need two batteries. I get 6-7 hours on two batteries. Trolling into a stiff breeze can be challenging.

Over all 3.5 out of 5 stars
Old 07-18-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
You usually don't leave your bow mounted troller in the water when you expect to cruise at 30 mph. Until you are on plane, those engine mounted trollers are in the water hitting what ever may be floating in their direction. We obviously avoided obstacles that we saw but when the water is muddy, it is tough to see everything that is floating.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I actually thought you'd meant the prop got knocked off on a tree or some other debris while actively trolling with it. I hadn't noticed that the original title said "motor mount" and the OP's question seemed to be just a general, "are electric trolling motors worth it" It was only just now when I logged back in that I noticed the title specifically said "motor mount" so please excuse me for my mistake. You are correct, it would be hard to protect a motor mount, especially in Tobin where sawyers and other debris is 'normal'.

Typically when on Tobin, I'm keeping watch ahead while we travel while my friend drives the boat. Normally, I'm standing too so I can see a little better. We haven't dinged anything with the engine yet. But in choppy weather, it's a lot harder to see and those electric motors are nowhere's near as tough as the big engine.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***