Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2007, 08:23 AM
s_buffalo

Default Rifle-toting-senior-2, Cabin-sniffing-bears - 0

Tue Jul 10, 6:11 AM
ST. JOHNS (CBC) - A black bear in northern Newfoundland obviously didn't hear the story about the 87-year-old woman who trapped and shot a bear after it prowled around her cabin.

Cecilia Smith made national headlines in June when she shot a 227-kilogram bear that came too close for comfort.

Smith has done it again, trapping a bear that was sniffing around her cabin in Hawke's Bay, a remote community on Newfoundland's Northern Peninsula.

This time, the bear approached the cabin while she and her husband were mere feet away, putting in a door.

"I looked out through and I said, 'Oh my God, I got a bear in my snare,' " said Smith, who immediately grabbed her rifle to shoot the bear.

"I went over and said, 'Ooh, my God, you little devil - not saucy, I know, coming around the camp when [I'm] working.' "

Smith said this bear was lighter than the first, weighing 181 kilograms.

Smith, who managed to haul the first bear into her truck with her husband's help before driving the carcass to the regional dump, said she will probably skin this one and may give away the bear's meat.

Full story here.

Last edited by s_buffalo; 11-09-2007 at 12:32 PM.