Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2007, 08:25 PM

Default OK, how about binocs?

Here's my dilemma. I have about a grand stashed away that my wife doesn't know about, and I'm dying to buy hunting stuff to help pass the time until the season opens. Realistically, my .30-06 will kill pretty much anything I want, if I do my part. I could probably use a better pair of binocs, and maybe a rangefinder. What's the best bang for the buck with binos? I've heard the Cabelas Alaskan Guide model gets good reviews. Really, binos and/or some other gear are probably more practical than another gun right now....
Old 07-05-2007, 08:38 PM
sheephunter

Bushnell and Nikon are definitely worth a look in that price range. The Nikon Monarchs are an awesome mid-range bino.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:55 PM

Give Doug at Cameraland N. Y. a call to see what he would recommend for your needs. Always nice to try before you buy though. I got some Minox HGs from him as they where rated higher (by him) than the Bushnell elites and Ziess Conquests I was interested in.

Last edited by slipbobber; 07-05-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 PM

Try shop local or not have them around
Old 07-05-2007, 11:06 PM

Spent my last nickle at Wholesale sports along time ago. My money does not grow on trees so I'll shop where I get the best deal. Why do you think Cabalas and The Bass Pro Shops or even E-bay are so popular?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:07 AM

I vote for other gear... aka: throw a kegger for all the other Alberta Outdoorsmen forum family members

Other then that great idea I would go for range finder or lighten up/upgrade your current gear you pack with you. A few pounds lighter is a big deal when packing for a long time.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:14 AM

I would opt for a good pair of binos if you don't have them already...definitely look south of the border, you will get a great pair of binos for $1000. You could probably pick up a pair of Leica's from Cameraland/Doug for that price.

The "shop local" thing is crap...if the local shops want the business they better figure out a way to have competitive prices then...why would I buy local when I can buy south of the border and save hundreds of dollars.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:30 AM

Default Camera Land???

Whats the big deal with Camera Land. The price I checked out was identical with Cabelas and they couldn't ship it directly to Grande Cache.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Banned

Harv has a point and I used to own a specialty retail store, managed a gunstore and worked in a mountain gear store when I retired, so, I have some retail experience to speak from. MANY retailers here in BC/AB treat customers as though they were doing them a favour to deign to even wait on them and prices are simply ludicrous compared with the USA.

A Zeiss Conquest is $399.00 in the USA and $599.00 here, an increase of 50%, WTF is going on as our dollar is about 93 % of the US buck? I strongly believe in buying locally and DO, but, things need to improve and soon, to retain my customer loyalty.

Case in point, some years ago, I was working out of Hinton and I ordered some Federal Premium NP .338 ammo from a small gunstore there as they has dick in stock, even in July, two months before hunting season. I had checked the price at Reliable gun here in Vancouver and it was about 29 bux per box. When the guy in Hinton got the ammo, he tried to charge me almost SIXTY dollars per box, GST incuded and when I politely refused and quoted the Vancouver price, he got quite snotty, so, as far as I know he may still have that ammo, 16 yrs. later......this happens a lot in many Canadian gunstores, IME.

As to binos, I would continue to save and buy Leica Ultravids, I own Zeiss and Leica Trinovids, 8x 30s and 10x40s, have tested Zeiss V-IIs, Swaro ELs and used the Leica UVs hunting, they are a FABULOUS glass and worth scrimping and waiting to obtain, Cameraland sells these at very competitive prices.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:48 AM

$1000.00 eh
Bino's are like most everything in the optics department, to a usual standard you get what you pay for.
With that being said one must also consider a few things.
For me it's eye relief, since I wear glasses, second is ergonomics, third is weight(especially if your a light weight afficianado)
For most optics in the $1000 dollar range you'll have a hard time to decerne a notable diffrence between the various binos available, the next step in quality is on the order of twice that price, and the noticable diffrence in quality will be considerable less noticable than say the diffrence between $500 binos, and $1000 binos.
All I can suggest is do price comparrisons, and research what you need for features, and shop smart.
Good luck.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-06-2007, 08:25 AM

i had the same dilemma,
i put the word out to few outfitter friends of mine, coupl days later i get a call and got a barely used set of SLC swaros 10x for a grand and meet a good fellow in the process.
maybe is was a good deal, maybe not. either way..they are mine now.
got the original box, strap, etc too.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 07-06-2007, 09:23 AM

I've got a pair of Leupold Pinnacles and they are AWSOME, my friend has a pair of Zeiss, and after spending some time in the hills with both of them the Leupolds are deffinately better. I would recomend the Leupolds, also should you ever have any problems with the Leupolds the service center in right here in AB. As far as purchasing them with the high can. dollar it is well worth looking south of the border, as you can get some great deals.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Binos

Try binos.com south of the border I got a very good pair of steiners for less than $500.00 and I had them in hand in 4 days Im very happy with them and the service of bino.com
Old 07-06-2007, 03:31 PM

Another vote for Doug at Cameraland NY http://www.cameralandny.com/ I bought a pair of Leica Trinovids from him last year and got great service and pricing and the exchange rate has only gotten better. Like everything you have to shop around as some things work out to be a deal buying from the USA, and some stuff isn't at all.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:06 PM

Default cameralandny

Doug's service is excellent. Look at his demos, Got a set of Minox for $500 all in to the door in 4 days, had a look at Wholesale, $850 plus tax. As mentioned, you'll have a hard time telling the difference between binos from $500 - $1000 without doing a lot of field testing at low light. Do some research and look at best fits, i.e. weight, eye cups, magnification, reviews. Go to www.opticstalk.com, they also have some great prices on demo and slightly used on the sample list.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 AM

I went to order a pair of Leica Geovids from the U.S. and after duty, taxes and shipping it was cheaper to buy in Canada. I phoned around and the cheapest place was Bartons in G.P..
Old 07-09-2007, 10:42 PM

Check out the binocular evaluations in the June/July Outdoor Life mag. They liked the Zeiss and Pentax 10x50 full-sized binoculars.
wapiti11
Old 07-10-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Thanks for the replies!

I do have the Outdoor Life with the reviews in it. I also went to opticstalk.com. There seems to be a whole lot of info on there. I think it will take me a bit to figure everything out. I was looking at the Bushnell Elite 1500 rangefinder, but i don't know if the bulky size and weight would work for me. Really, if you can reach 600 yards on a non-reflective target, that should be plenty. I don't think I would base a decision on a rangefinder solely on the max distance...
Old 07-12-2007, 01:10 AM

Default Nikon's

I was lucky to find a like new used set of Nikon Monarch 8x42's for around 200 bucks. I think new they are just over 400. Anyways, I am very impressed with the clarity of the optics and the performance, for a fairly small pair of binoculars. I think you'd be dissapointed spending 1000 on a set when you could get a set like these for half the price. However if you can justify spending the 1000 just on one set of bino's I'm sure you'll be able to find a pretty nice set.