Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Lyme Disease Edmonton area?

Lyme disease found in Edmonton-area ticks
Last Updated: Friday, June 15, 2007 | 10:19 AM MT
CBC News
A species of tick new to Alberta has tested positive for Lyme disease.

Alberta Health and Wellness announced Thursday that ticks found on two dogs near Edmonton have tested positive for the bacteria that cause the disease.

Dr. Karen Grimsrud, the acting chief medical officer of health, says further tests are required to see whether ticks are becoming established in the province. Veterinarians are also monitoring pets for signs of the disease.

Albertans should take extra precautions to avoid being bitten by ticks, Grimsrud said.

"Wear long pants and long sleeves, and tuck your pants into your socks and tuck your shirt into your pants," Grimsrud said.

Symptoms of Lyme disease include a rash near the bite, fatigue, chills, fever, headaches and muscle and joint pains. It can be cured with antibiotics, but if left untreated can become quite serious.

No human cases have been detected. There have only been 19 cases of Lyme disease in the province since 1992, and all of those were contracted elsewhere.

The disease is known to be established in parts of Ontario, Manitoba, Nova Scotia and British Columbia
Old 07-13-2007, 05:29 AM
-NDN-

stinking ticks, i hate 'em. i have yet to see on on me in alberta, i have trampled through crazy bush and not a one. my only hope is that those wood ticks over down east dont keep creeping north and west like they are