Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Default Chip Lake info req

Heading out to chip lake and I was wondering what depth people have caught ling at and where is the best place to access the lake? I tried using google maps, but I didn't see any points. I heard Leman Road bridge is an access point, but I couldn't find it. Any info would be great! Thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 AM

i had a look there on my way home from carson a few days ago and the river looks rough like everything else, we went to the mouth and there was no sign of the ling hitting yet.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 AM

Default Chip lake

I fished chp yesterday jan.1 Coming back from the river to the road is very slippery even with a 4x4.For acess continue past the bridge on leaman road to T intersection turn right.Take trail through the bush to the river then continue to the lake.Trail is good but single track.....you need 4x4.Fishing was slow at the mouth yesterday ..maybe 4 fow.Hope this helps....Zepf
Old 01-02-2011, 10:52 AM

I am planning on staying out all day until I catch at least one burb. I heard that this lake is the best bet. Thanks for all your help. I will let you know how I do. I am guessing just jigging a minnow off the bottom?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessePat View Post
I am planning on staying out all day until I catch at least one burb. I heard that this lake is the best bet. Thanks for all your help. I will let you know how I do. I am guessing just jigging a minnow off the bottom?
i wouldnt even jig it... just lay it on the bottom... if u have the means to stay out all night that would be even better.... pm sent
Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 PM

If I guy wants to get out and get a few to take home then this is the lake to fish. It is great for pike and a few lings at times too. Just fish out from the mouth in 6 feet and your laughing... It can be real hit and miss though and the fish taste friggin awesome out of there if you get a few....
Old 01-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
If I guy wants to get out and get a few to take home then this is the lake to fish. It is great for pike and a few lings at times too. Just fish out from the mouth in 6 feet and your laughing... It can be real hit and miss though and the fish taste friggin awesome out of there if you get a few....
Now that is something I can sink my teeth into. Might have to try that one out finally. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the PM and info. I am going to go to the grocery store tonight an pick up some chicken hearts and other various organs and give that a try tomorrow as well. I think I will head out around noon and plan to stay a couple of hours after dark. I will let you guys know how I made out.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:25 PM

i live on chip and the ling are not biting yet but the best bait is jack belly
Old 01-02-2011, 04:46 PM

Are there any descent fishing spots at this lake that one could walk on from a roadway without the 4X4?

Coincidentally, a few weeks ago I also scouted out Chip on my way back from Carson but didn't fish it. I've heard a lot about burbs and would like to try one. I also enjoy the occasional pike out of the ice too so this lake sounds like a good option.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideload View Post
i live on chip and the ling are not biting yet but the best bait is jack belly
Do you know any of the drewes family from north of mackay? or don regenwetter... he lives just off the highway beside the cynthia/lodgepole turnoff?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:56 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post

now ive seen quite a few posts from this gentleman on this forum but this post all but ruins all creditibility......i've lived half my life in that area and fished that lake and its tributaries for many years, i have never heard of this "6 feet of water" you speak of, but i might have to join you for a good ol ling fishin contest sometime so as i can learn of this deep water hole in my beloved chip lake. cheers!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessedm View Post
now ive seen quite a few posts from this gentleman on this forum but this post all but ruins all creditibility......i've lived half my life in that area and fished that lake and its tributaries for many years, i have never heard of this "6 feet of water" you speak of, but i might have to join you for a good ol ling fishin contest sometime so as i can learn of this deep water hole in my beloved chip lake. cheers!
yeah at the mouth of the river it isnt 6 feet deep...and indeed the whole lake is shallow... but there are a couple of deeper holes... right beside the island that is near the mouth of the river i found a 12 ft deep hole

Last edited by jacob1202; 01-02-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 AM

I was fishing there 1st and the 2nd and it was slow We stayed after dark on the first but no ling. On the 2nd it was really slow but managed to pull a dozen jack up, had to change tatics bounced a jig and minnow off the bottom and this seemed to help. Getting on at the bridge is ok but if you don't have a 4x4 forget it. The trail through the bush is ok until you meet somebody coming off. Have to get there early to get a good spot. Lots of people
Old 01-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Wink

That was a bit of a joke........