Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-31-2010, 08:28 PM

Default Just for the record AWD ≠ 4WD

Remember that driving on a lake is an offroad situation. Your little AWD crossover doesn't have the clearance to make it through the fluffy snow. If you insist on trying it, at least have a decent shovel and be prepared to get yourself out once you get yourself stuck.

And if a guy has to dig you out 3 TIMES at least have the decency to thank him

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-31-2010, 08:39 PM

Amen to the Thank you comment...but on the other hand...everyone has to learn sometime. Some folks need to get their experience by trying it for themselves. Thumbs up to those who will try.
(But ALWAYS say thank you!)
Old 12-31-2010, 09:17 PM

You're a better man than I am, Geezle. I would have dug someone out once; but if they were too thick to turn back at that point, they'd be on their own for the next go-'round, even if they had to do it with their bare hands!

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 12-31-2010, 09:18 PM

You have to also include the guys who think that a one ton dually is a good ice truck it might be 4x4. But not good for snow and ice spent one day last year just pulling out three trucks at lac ste Anne cause one of these crappy four wheel drive dually managed the get the other three trucks stuck trying to help him . They were lucky one of the people was my mother in law then the a week later the dually struck again. At star lake . Could just be the poor icedriving skills of some dually driving people
Old 12-31-2010, 09:36 PM

heh..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDY6bWT5oTM
Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 PM

I drive a small suv.. mazda tribute - Basically a Ford escape.. its awd with locking 4x4, and it is great in the mud and snow / ice so far.. fingers crossed... but mud is my fav to play in

Old 12-31-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed View Post
Amen to the Thank you comment...but on the other hand...everyone has to learn sometime. Some folks need to get their experience by trying it for themselves. Thumbs up to those who will try.
(But ALWAYS say thank you!)
Granted everybody has to learn sometime, but in retrospect I should have left him there to squirm for a while. The problem for me was that he got stuck like 30 yards from me and I watched him do it. Kinda hard to stand back and watch without looking like a douche

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
You're a better man than I am, Geezle. I would have dug someone out once; but if they were too thick to turn back at that point, they'd be on their own for the next go-'round, even if they had to do it with their bare hands!
I told him once he got going to just keep heading straight back the way he came. Problem is that he couldn't even keep the car on the path and kept ending up in the fluff. The last time he got stuck I did some digging and then passed the shovel off to him. He just kinda looked at me and I told him that more needed to be cleared before he could get out of where he was, and then again emphasized that he should head back to shore.

While we (I) were digging a guy in a truck stopped by and asked if the stuck guy had a tow hook and offered to pull him out. The guy just kinda looked confused...I don't think he even knew what a tow hook was or why his car might have one.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_worbeck View Post
You have to also include the guys who think that a one ton dually is a good ice truck it might be 4x4. But not good for snow and ice spent one day last year just pulling out three trucks at lac ste Anne cause one of these crappy four wheel drive dually managed the get the other three trucks stuck trying to help him . They were lucky one of the people was my mother in law then the a week later the dually struck again. At star lake . Could just be the poor icedriving skills of some dually driving people
For sure on the the dualys, unless you've got cookie cutter tires on em and around 1000 lbs in the back they can suck pretty bad.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:22 PM

Dualys are a pain in the fluffy stuff.. my dad used to drive a towtruck, and in winters he would get stuck occassionally in alleys and such boosting people cars, or unlocking them, that sorta thing... silly extra tires
Old 12-31-2010, 11:03 PM

Good set of tires can make a world of difference too. Seen lots of good 4x4's get stuck on lakes simply because of poor/worn out winter tires. Stock all season truck tires usually suck on lakes with lots of snow.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:10 AM

I'v even got about 200 lbs of sand in my 4 X 4 Dakota. A little weight helps alot, plus sand will give you traction after you get stuck. Spin the tires once and the ice is polished like glass.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:23 AM

Geeze you are indeed a saint, and although I agree with you, I have to throw in a few things, no matter what you drive....for the love of god if you intend to drive in deep snow on ice...at least fork out a few bucks for good rubber...in a low llying vehicle you worn out all seasons are not going to do squat...back in the day all I had was an old 85 nissan pular...beat up and look like something from Mad Max....but I put the cheapest, largest radius tires I could squeeze on there and slapped on some chains...it was awsome!! On the chain note...why don't more people who drive on the ice have them?? Deep snow, flood water....seem pretty logical..I have a 4X4 pick up now, lots of room for all my gear and that includes a set of chains....small price to pay for some serious insurance....
Old 01-01-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Geeze you are indeed a saint, and although I agree with you, I have to throw in a few things, no matter what you drive....for the love of god if you intend to drive in deep snow on ice...at least fork out a few bucks for good rubber...in a low llying vehicle you worn out all seasons are not going to do squat...back in the day all I had was an old 85 nissan pular...beat up and look like something from Mad Max....but I put the cheapest, largest radius tires I could squeeze on there and slapped on some chains...it was awsome!! On the chain note...why don't more people who drive on the ice have them?? Deep snow, flood water....seem pretty logical..I have a 4X4 pick up now, lots of room for all my gear and that includes a set of chains....small price to pay for some serious insurance....
You're right about both the tires and the chains. This guy was on his stock all terrains, and they looked like they were the original tires - quite worn down. And as soon as this guy got off the path he was just plowing the snow. I don't know if chains would have helped him or not in that stuff.

Either way I should really look into a set for the Jeep...y'know, for all the less than intelligent spots I put myself into

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 01-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMfishing View Post
Dualys are a pain in the fluffy stuff.. my dad used to drive a towtruck, and in winters he would get stuck occassionally in alleys and such boosting people cars, or unlocking them, that sorta thing... silly extra tires
On my welding truck I had the narrowest tires I could find and it did pretty good in the snow and mud. Now that I've got the welder and tools on a trailer though the truck is pretty much useless.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 AM

one of my female neighbours got stuck in her car in really deep snow and the same thing happened she spun the tires and now the snow and ice around the tire was polished and slipery. so i put my jacket on and was going to give her a hand and then i watched her go to the trunk of her car grab a bag of kitty litter and poured it into the area around the tire and in the polished ice area and she litterally just drove out just like that. i found that very intreging. but i am not sure how biodegratable or enviormently safe this is to use on a frozen lake unless the stuff is cleaned up after.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
one of my female neighbours got stuck in her car in really deep snow and the same thing happened she spun the tires and now the snow and ice around the tire was polished and slipery. so i put my jacket on and was going to give her a hand and then i watched her go to the trunk of her car grab a bag of kitty litter and poured it into the area around the tire and in the polished ice area and she litterally just drove out just like that. i found that very intreging. but i am not sure how biodegratable or enviormently safe this is to use on a frozen lake unless the stuff is cleaned up after.
Would have been nice if the clown that I dug out repeatedly would have though ahead enough to do something similar. In a real pinch your floor mats will also work similarly.

As for cleanup, most kitty litter is just clay, so unless it's the scented stuff cleanup shouldn't really be an issue I wouldn't think.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 01-01-2011, 01:38 PM

Yeah that's actually a little trick I forgot about we used to keep a small bag of "floor dry" same as kitty litter in the work trucks and it can help. I thought about chains as well so far this year I haven't had any issues but before next winter I'm just going to spring for a good set of rims and mud/snow tires.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Would have been nice if the clown that I dug out repeatedly would have though ahead enough to do something similar. In a real pinch your floor mats will also work similarly.

As for cleanup, most kitty litter is just clay, so unless it's the scented stuff cleanup shouldn't really be an issue I wouldn't think.
Both good ideas that work well.
Good on ya Geez for helping them out...3 times lol. U musta just been shakin' ur head at the third go round. Hats off to u

Some cliches are true....
Some people never learn...

Cheers n GL!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:59 PM

Very nice of you Geezle

Don't worry...karma will get him. That guy will get stuck again soon.