Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Default legalities of underwater cameras...

Something I've wondered about....

Would the illumination feature on an underwater camera make it illegal for use at night given the possibility that fish might be attracted to the light?
Old 01-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Banned

According to a C.O. you can not have the light feature on while you are fishing
Old 01-01-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
Something I've wondered about....

Would the illumination feature on an underwater camera make it illegal for use at night given the possibility that fish might be attracted to the light?
My camera has infrared lights. Not visable to my eye.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM

Tape a hook to it and it counts as one of your lines.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlejet View Post
My camera has infrared lights. Not visable to my eye.
Does IR actually work underwater. Doesn't water block IR to a great extent? I know that Aqua Vu has IR and SRL (spectral response lighting). Can anyone shed some light on this subject. (Pun intended...lol)

What is the SRL lighting? Visible?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:17 PM

Default ...further question...

...I guess a further question that may help to "shed some light" on this topic would be this:
After dark, with the infrared or whatever 'light feature' turned on, have any of you ever noticed that fish do seem to be attracted to investigate the light source on the camera? Does there seem to be more fish at the camera after dark than there is by day?

I guess if the infrared lighting on the camera is deemed to be invisible to the fish, then the exact reason for fish coming to the camera would be a very difficult thing to prove. I've had fish almost kiss the front lens on the camera by day, proving that they are indeed at least intrigued by the camera itself. If the same thing were to happen at night, how could you prove or say that it was the infrared light that was attracting the fish if in fact infrared is supposedly invisible to the fish?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Does IR actually work underwater. Doesn't water block IR to a great extent? I know that Aqua Vu has IR and SRL (spectral response lighting). Can anyone shed some light on this subject. (Pun intended...lol)

What is the SRL lighting? Visible?
They do work, but very limited range, maybe 3 feet in good water. I have played with them, turning them off and on when fish are present, I have never noticed a reaction.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Banned

Regulation does not state what kind of light just a light in general

"Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling".
Old 01-01-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post

"Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling".
hmmmm... well, I guess the suggestion in one of the previous posts of attaching a hook to the camera [or the camera to a hook] wasn't such a bad suggestion after all!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Banned

Hang a treble under it .
Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post

In that case its also illegal to use a light in your tent after dark when you are sportfishing. the lights are on the camera, not on your fishing gear, you arent using the camera to try and hook fish so you are not using the camera lights to sportsfish. Id like to get charged for lights on the camera so I can listen to the judge laugh. The lights scare the fish off anyways in my experience, I only use the cam to check bottom structure at night anyways.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
In that case its also illegal to use a light in your tent after dark when you are sportfishing. the lights are on the camera, not on your fishing gear, you arent using the camera to try and hook fish so you are not using the camera lights to sportsfish. Id like to get charged for lights on the camera so I can listen to the judge laugh. The lights scare the fish off anyways in my experience, I only use the cam to check bottom structure at night anyways.

I have an aqua vu witht he led lights... I wanted to see what it would look like at night so last night on pigeon i stuck it in hole after dark... Watched for 10 minutes with no hooks in the water and saw nothing (not that there was lots during the day) did notice the buggies (potential food) and such were extremely attracted to the light.