Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 PM

Default RATTLESNAKE info needed

wondering what the ice thickness is at and how accessible the lake is? any help is greatly appreciated gonna try and go out tommorow morning
thx!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
wondering what the ice thickness is at and how accessible the lake is? any help is greatly appreciated gonna try and go out tommorow morning
thx!
If your talking about Rattlesnake lake south of medicine hat,I was out there 2 weeks ago and the ice was 10" Thick.however no one was driving on the ice including myself.I was near the end of the lake close to the hutterites,caught nine 3 to 8 pound pike in 2 hours,got to cold then went home,nailed them all on big hooks baited with anchovies!!! good luck!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:46 PM

thanks whitetail... just curious how did you get to the back part? and where did you walk on? thx
Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 PM

A bunch of us were out yesterday. There was quite a few people out on the ice, we all drove on at the park, there are 2 spots you can get on with a 4x4. One at the boat launch and one just straight south of the check-in booth. Both were blowing in good all day but lots of people were coming and going keeping them open. The ice down at the park end is 16-18" thick and like I said everyone was driving around on it. I was straight off shore from the horseshoe pits and we had the camera down, and I was very surprise to see how many perch were swimming by, notice I said "swimming by". There was a few pike poke their noses around and scare things away. Needless to say lots of fish were seen but not touched.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:07 PM

West end is good too. Same amount of ice. Seein lots, Pike and Perch but only catching pike.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
thanks whitetail... just curious how did you get to the back part? and where did you walk on? thx
It's a Secret

No To get there you have to follow the trail by the hutterites that follows there cannal,follow the road on there smaller cannal that meets up with the canal where the spill way is.if that makes sense to you? and If you find any dead ducks in the area with bands on them,let me know because they could have been mine!!! I was Fishing just North of the seagull islands!!