Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-12-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaatlatl View Post
I'm not sure what gives a specific group the authority to "ban" another group from using their weapon of choice. I only found out when a good friend called me and told me what was happenning. I have thrown my darts at MANY Traditional shoots, am VERY vocal about hunting with them, and was not even considered for my imput. Talk about railroading. Is there any respect in the "hunting fraternity"? I answer, "YES!" This thread has shown that there is support, a fair amount, for keeping a hunting tool alive. Our ancestors used them, effectively for 10,000 years.
Believe it or not, some people like to see their name in print and because of their own idea of self worth and importance, feel that they have the right to rule over others, no matter if they partake in that articular sport or not!
I find it very infuriating in fact that someone would want to control or even ban a style of hunting or tool they know little or nothing about based on THEIR perception.
Cat
Old 03-12-2014, 06:44 AM

Default I find it disturbing

The fact that the ABA , who no doubt have many members who are traditional bow hunters, would want to ban this "primitive" or traditional style of hunting. I know the atlatl requires more determination , more skill and is not for everyone....
That being said I find the atlatl to be suitable for hunting. I do not yet have the skill set YET to even attempt small game hunting with the atlatl but as a responsible hunter I wouldn't employ any weapon on a living animal unless I was proficient enough for a clean kill. I am just starting into the bow hunting world and intend to get into trad bow hunting and will certainly try the atlatl on targets to see what I think. Just because something is hard and requires a great skill set , it shouldn't be set apart. Some may argue that traditional bows are "primitive" and to ban them in the future. Not me .I think it is effective but perhaps that won't be up to me or to the people who own trad bows...
As AA has been saying, he goes to many trad bow get togethers and if the atlatl is banned perhaps trad bows followed by recurve followed by all archery ?? Sad to think so pessimistically but who knows. I hope all styles of hunting stay with us for 10,000 more years.

AA, you are an ambassador for your sport. You have brought my interest in the atlatl to its highest level and I will be getting an atlatl to take with me to the archery range as a partner of my compound bow. Good luck on your future endeavours.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM

I think it hilarious that ABA wants to ban this. I too have spear hunted but was not successful. It was still very exciting to try to get so close to game. If anything we should encourage this type of hunting because there will be more opportunity to spend quality time in the woods with a lower impact on wildlife numbers. The anti hunters I know are mad about how effective we are at killing with our modern weapons so a another step back to the traditional might do us good. Why not get everyone together that does this or would be interested in doing this more and counter this by lobbying for a week of "spear season" to be added to the regs before bow season! haha.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATE View Post
The anti hunters I know are mad about how effective we are at killing with our modern weapons so a another step back to the traditional might do us good..
Does that mean we can run herds of animals off of cliffs by the thousands?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
LOL....no party hunting allowed

LC
Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 AM

Im pretty sure its a certain few, rather than a majority of the ABA who wish to see spears and atlatls banned...I plan on asking the ABA executive about this at thier banquet later this month.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Im pretty sure its a certain few, rather than a majority of the ABA who wish to see spears and atlatls banned...I plan on asking the ABA executive about this at thier banquet later this month.
Please do!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I dunno, how many tags do you have?
Cat
Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Default Hunting ethics

Killing something is a very serious matter and SHOULD be done useing the
most humane methods. A atlatl was the most powerful longer range weapon
at one time but better ways have been invented. Especially when this is done for sport, not out of need. If we are going to use older methods, try
it out on yourself when you go to the dentist and see how older methods feel. If you have respect for the animal you are planing to kill, take away
as much risk as possible of wounding or causing suffering.
Some background for where this thinking comes from, I killed my first
deer more than 50 years ago, and do not see wildlife as a plaything.
I think some people are out of touch from nature and should hunt with
non lethal tools like a camera.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:42 AM

^^^^^

So where do you stand on the issue?

Maybe you would prefer hunting on a game ranch where any wounded animals could be put out of their misery as they cannot escape?

Judging by what you propose we should all use rifles and not shoot over 100 yards.

Using a traditional or primitive method makes it no less lethal or humane if the person using it is proficient.

LC
Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
at one time but better ways have been invented. Especially when this is done for sport, not out of need. If we are going to use older methods, try
it out on yourself when you go to the dentist and see how older methods feel. If you have respect for the animal you are planing to kill, take away
as much risk as possible of wounding or causing suffering

I agree ,If you have respect for the animal you are going to kill be as proficient as possible with the weapon you choose to hunt with. by the same token though, if you have respect for the animal you plan to hunt ,would it not be better to give the animal as big of an advantage as possible? What gives the Animal a bigger advantage? Hunting with the atlatl where you have to get within 30 yards to be effective or a gun that can do it from 600 yards?Both scenarios have the possibility of going badly ,but with the 600 yrd rifle shot ,the hunter may never know whether he/she wounded or not.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
From what you are saying we should all be using one of these.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...62788935,d.cGU
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:

So scoped magnum rifles should be the only weapon used during hunting season?

Seen lots of game put down with a firearm and it is effective in the right hands. Seen lots of game down with a bow and it is effective in the right hands.

I have also unfortunately seen what both these weapons do in the wrong hands.

I see the Atlatal the same way the weapon has the killing power to give a clean kill in the right hands. Actually I am impressed by the pic provided showing penetration in this thread.

It is not the weapon that fails it is the hunter so where is the real issue?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM

Default Hunting

If the atlatl is so deadly a hunting weapon, go get a trophy grizzly, just
be sure to let your next of kin know.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
You must live in BC?

LC
Old 03-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
I don't know where he lives nor do I understand what his point is.

Makes zero sense.

Lets not ruin this thread with nonsense.

Go stir someone else's coffee.

Last edited by Boots270; 03-12-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
No problem going after a grizz with an arrow if I had the experience and skill with an atlatl I would consider it as an option.

Grizzly die just the same as anything else when you put a hole in there lungs. Don't need a big magnum for them either.

It is all about personal skill level not the weapon.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I'm sure people have done it, don't think by being sarcastic that you will not be called out if you are in fact serious.
I would not want to imagine that you are simpply trolling for a reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWIVi1krGCY
Tim Wells has also killed lions and cape buffalo with a spear.
We do not hunt for food as a rule these days , but for recreation.
By the sound of things the only thing "proper " to hunt with is a .50 BMG by your way of thinking.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-12-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:30 PM

Stoning and crucifixtion was once a means of killing as well. To each their own.....
Old 03-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I'm sure people have done it, don't think by being sarcastic that you will not be called out if you are in fact serious.
I would not want to imagine that you are simpply trolling for a reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWIVi1krGCY
Tim Wells has also killed lions and cape buffalo with a spear.
We do not hut for food as aa rule these days , but for recreation.
By the sound of things the only thing "proper " to hunt with is a .50 BMG by your way of thinking.
Cat
Show me another person in North America as proficient as Tim Wells.
You guys are taking this topic to all ends of the spectrum to prove an irrelevant point.

50 BMG? Tim Wells? Is there middle ground?

Why not endorse or approve properly regulated weapons? And seek to have them regulated, out of respect for the animals?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
You guys are taking this topic to all ends of the spectrum to prove an irrelevant point.

50 BMG? Tim Wells? Is there sanity left on this board?

Why not endorse or approve properly regulated weapons? And seek to have them regulated, out of respect for the animals?
And you are taking this topic to no end.
But you persist to no avail.
Are you actually reading the information posted here or researched it?
What's your problem with certain means of hunting tools?
Start a new thread like you were told last night.

Last edited by Boots270; 03-12-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:

There likely is, most of us never heard of Tim Wells before the YouTube videos and it not three weeks ago that I had ever heard of
AO's albertatlatal
I actually considered the 50 BMH in 1979 but did not buy one because of the cost
Before long range shooting became popular there were people ill long at extreme ranges, then others decided it was not ethical .
Same with the Pope and Young club and their let off rules , yet the sAme people will argue that the compound is " the same " as the stick bow" or " superior" to it depending on how they want to present their argument .
Make no mistake however , it is an argument because this type of person wants their way only.
However there are dome that don't think bows of any kind should be allowed because THEY think they are not humane killing machines.
So no, there is middle ground when people want to ban something they know nothing about of do not like
Cat
Old 03-12-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:

we respect the animals that's why we feel that they should also have a chance, hunting based on skill not equipment. should we coral our deer pic one and drop them like beef, better accuracy then a rifle. what primitive weapons have you used, or seen in person? can I assume your another armchair regulator?

ill enjoy my bow when your ethical rifle is banned, and you did nothing productive because you were to busy slamming other ways if hunting while yours was attatcked

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 03-12-2014, 04:17 PM

!

Last edited by Tox; 03-12-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: delete
Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 PM

I've been reading the post y'all are writing, and have come to the conclusion that some of you think that it's the weapon that is inefficient. On the contrary, a weapon is totally useless without an operator. It's the operator that is inefficient, and has nothing to do with the choice of weaponry. I own a rifle, and am confident that I can shoot and kill an animal. That said, I also use bows and an Atlatl. I am more confident with a bow (longbow not my compound) than with a rifle. I'm not steady enough to hold and shoot. I snapshoot my bow, and have harvested 16 deer with it, at ranges from 27 yards to 7 yards. I know that close is key!! For myself, closer is better. I feel that I can place an effective shot, clean kill, at close range. My goal, on EVERY hunt, is to get within 20 yards. GUN OR NOT. I believe HUNTERS, not SPORTSMEN, are concerned about close kills. That's what drives us. The use of an Atlatl demands close proximity. ALOT of practise and dedication to be proficient. Does any other style of hunting fall into this category? YES ALL OF THEM. Practise makes perfect. Why play down something that you know nothing about, haven't tried for yourself, and have no idea how/why it works! I used to think bowhunters were idiots! " You can't kill an Elk with a compound!" I watched my friend do it!! Guess what I tried out, and found that I too can take an animal! Thought " You can't be accurate with a Traditional Bow, you can't get close enough to kill a deer!" I tried one, and Guess what! I too was hooked! I've taken 16 deer with it! Thought and hear alot "You can't be effective and kill a deer with an Atlatl!" I TRIED IT!! Guess what! I DID IT TOO!! And here we are at the place I was in my hunter's closet 26 years ago!!
I challenge anyone, don't be afraid to try it out, you may be converted too.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:59 PM

At every Traditional shoot I attend, I bring extra sets. When people see us throwing darts, most come to watch. A few adventurous ones try it. I have had over 100 people standing in line to try out a dart throw. All ages, from 6-90. EVERY ONE OF THEM has the time of their life. Usually within minutes they are competing for closest to centre. Surely it is a lot of fun. How many hunt with them? I know of three! I hope to see that number multiply a hundred fold. Seems that quite a few here have the desire to try out an Atlat. AWESOME, you will not regret it. These adventurous ones will have a better idea of why I'm here posting for the right to hunt with an Atlatl. We are a very small group of hunters, in a Province where our voice has not been heard. THIS is disturbing! We attend Traditional shoots, archery shoots, I even throw at our local F&G range. Why was our voice/opinion not sought out? Again, I'm not wanting to bash anyone, rather get the info out to the public. What we, as hunters, need to do is to write/email/fax or whatever the ESRD, AFGA, ABA,SABA and such to stand against the banning of weaponry.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:20 PM

Well said.

LC
Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 PM

Default Hunting skills

In several posts I read that it is the skill of the hunter not the weapon used
so that leads to the question should there be a hunter skill test before anyone gets a permit to hunt. I REALY like that idea.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:05 PM

If there was, who would decide if YOU had enough skill to hunt. Is the "skill" the ability to shoot accurately, or stalking your quarry? How about bloodtrailing? Or the proper safari attire. Ridiculous to even start that idea! Do YOU have the "skill"? Of course! You hearvest animals right? So do we. We have a skill with a different tool than you. Can I throw my spear as far as you shoot with a compound? Accuratelly? Maybe so, but what's the determining factor in skill? The ability to harvest an animal quickly, efficiently, and with a close clean shot placement. That's it! We do it, you do it, the skill is there with different tools. Brioadhead sharpening is an important skill to have, but why learn to sharpen a head when it comes presharpened? Because when you miss your target, it isn't sharp any more!!Skill comes from practise! Practise makes perfect! We practise every chance we get. I shoot 30 arrows per round with my longbow, and shoot 4 days a week. Practise makes perfect. I throw darts 6 at a round, 4 days a week. Practise makes perfect! I make the point that " Practise makes perfect"! An ethical hunter practises every chance he gets, knows his limitations, and knows his tool.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaatlatl View Post
If there was, who would decide if YOU had enough skill to hunt. Is the "skill" the ability to shoot accurately, or stalking your quarry? How about bloodtrailing? Or the proper safari attire. Ridiculous to even start that idea! Do YOU have the "skill"? Of course! You hearvest animals right? So do we. We have a skill with a different tool than you. Can I throw my spear as far as you shoot with a compound? Accuratelly? Maybe so, but what's the determining factor in skill? The ability to harvest an animal quickly, efficiently, and with a close clean shot placement. That's it! We do it, you do it, the skill is there with different tools. Brioadhead sharpening is an important skill to have, but why learn to sharpen a head when it comes presharpened? Because when you miss your target, it isn't sharp any more!!Skill comes from practise! Practise makes perfect! We practise every chance we get. I shoot 30 arrows per round with my longbow, and shoot 4 days a week. Practise makes perfect. I throw darts 6 at a round, 4 days a week. Practise makes perfect! I make the point that " Practise makes perfect"! An ethical hunter practises every chance he gets, knows his limitations, and knows his tool.
I trust you have contacted ABA executive to defend your style of hunting as well? There are enough antis trying to ban weapons as is. We dont need to do it ourselves.