Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2016, 07:37 AM

Default Whitehorse help

Heading to Whitehorse for work. Wonder if anyone has advice for some fishing in the area. Fly or spinning. Thanks
Old 07-12-2016, 07:50 AM

I would recommend to spots for shore fishing.

In the way into Kusawa Lake, you will come at approx. the half way point ot the lake, a small campground right near the river. Just down the slope, small Grayling are numerous.

The second is the river coming out of Kathleen Lake. South of Haines junction - there you will find larger Grayling, and a natural population of Rainbow trout. There are some nice sized ones there, but you will also find it gets fished fairly hard. Fish both the first bend just east of the highway, and 1/2 km or so downstream where the river dumps into the lake (more Grayling here).

Also, carry bear spray as it is a heavily populated Grizzly area.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:17 AM

Little Fox Lake - 40 minutes north of town right beside the Mayo Road (North Klondike Hwy). I have pulled tons of nice pan-sized trout from this lake. Trout can be had from shore/the launch - decent drop off from the launch. Sometimes you'll see guys there with chest waders using fly rods. Otherwise I troll and flatline with a mid sized pixee.

Just a hair further north is the second leg of Little Fox. There is a small pull off there just wide enough to get a truck town. Walk down the hill, past the fire pit and in the evening when the water is flat the grayling rise. Easy to grab from shore. Enjoy.

other great spots
- bridges at Tagish and Carcross (no slot size off the Tagish bridge).~5 lb lakers all day long.
- Little Atlin for pike. tons and tons and tons of pike. Again you can troll, but I have seen some very nice ones pulled from right beside the launch.
- Yukon river right upstream from the blue (Lewes River) bridge. Troll the weeds and you'll be into pike.
- Lake Laberge, setline on the Easter long weekend for Ling. 3 to 4 feet of ice and a long, long ways down. save the stomach contents of a nice trout in the freezer for ling season.
- right in town the Hidden Lakes are stocked with bows, not my favourite but the proximity is hard to beat.

Lots of other great spots further from town, too. Just ask!

can you tell i sometimes miss living in the Yukon?

Last edited by Peace Meal Farm; 07-13-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:30 AM

can you tell i sometimes miss living in the Yukon? [/QUOTE]

I agree with - I TOTALLY miss living in the Yukon!
Old 07-17-2016, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the advice. First fly chucked will be tomorrow afternoon. Let you know how I do