Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-13-2016, 08:24 AM

Default Wifes First Chinook Salmon Vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofUeOY3Ka0I

This was our first time out to Ucluelet and we headed out in early June. The weather was sunny but quite windy. The first two days we stayed near shore and didn't catch a whole lot. The last day I decided to head straight out to South bank and started covering ground. Before long the rod and released and line was screaming off the drag. Fish On! Chinook salmon number one. It wasn't fast in furious but we got out limit and I wouldn't say that is half bad for beginners out there on the wide open ocean if rough water. I hope you enjoy this clip of my wife catching the big fish of the trip. A beautiful Chinook Salmon on a Yama****a White Needlefish behind and lemon lime Gibbs Delta Flasher.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 07-13-2016, 08:43 AM

Nice vid. My wife got sea sick just watching it.

Dodger.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:42 AM

Yes, there's a real humbling experience on the "high seas". Was out of Sooke one time with crazy huge swells- and of course the fishing was great also.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
Yes, there's a real humbling experience on the "high seas". Was out of Sooke one time with crazy huge swells- and of course the fishing was great also.
Yes it was even worse in morning. This was when it calmed down. Not very fun if you get sea sick. I love it though!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 07-13-2016, 03:21 PM

Only ever been sick on a boat once. It was down in St. Lucia on about a 12-14 ft local fishing boat after drinking way too much rum the night before. I was able to hold it down on the windy drive in, all along the shoreline as we trolled but when we stopped and anchored and just bobbed up and down with the swells it was too much for me to handle...
Old 07-13-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Only ever been sick on a boat once. It was down in St. Lucia on about a 12-14 ft local fishing boat after drinking way too much rum the night before. I was able to hold it down on the windy drive in, all along the shoreline as we trolled but when we stopped and anchored and just bobbed up and down with the swells it was too much for me to handle...
RavYak have you ever fished in a kayak on the ocean with big waves or swell while bottom fishing? You better take the scopolamine patches along cause you are going to puke your guts out if you dont when you go offshore.

I never get sick at all on a boat, been on cruises, huge seas in the caribean and here in Canada without trouble. But on a kayak on the ocean I have puked my guts out many times. Fish food. There is physiologic explanation. It's the left and right tilt of head that is worse. When you stop in a kayak it turns perpendicular to the swell so you rock right and left and makes you feel terrible when looking down. I'd get sick looking down after only seconds in a kayak. Go prepared.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:36 PM

Wicked....she is forever ruined now!

Let me know if you even wanna pair up in Hardy!
Old 07-13-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
RavYak have you ever fished in a kayak on the ocean with big waves or swell while bottom fishing? You better take the scopolamine patches along cause you are going to puke your guts out if you dont when you go offshore.

I never get sick at all on a boat, been on cruises, huge seas in the caribean and here in Canada without trouble. But on a kayak on the ocean I have puked my guts out many times. Fish food. There is physiologic explanation. It's the left and right tilt of head that is worse. When you stop in a kayak it turns perpendicular to the swell so you rock right and left and makes you feel terrible when looking down. I'd get sick looking down after only seconds in a kayak. Go prepared.
Don't tell Wes this, he is the one that gets motion sickness easy lol. I'm sure we will be packing some stuff with us especially for him.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Wicked....she is forever ruined now!

Let me know if you even wanna pair up in Hardy!
I'm going to Hardy in August.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I'm going to Hardy in August.
How many passengers is that boat?
Old 07-14-2016, 09:51 AM
Banned

Nice vid Brandon.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
How many passengers is that boat?
Oh I'm sorry I thought you were planning on bringing your own boat. My boat is always full with family. This trip to Hardy my mom, dad, two brothers, sister in law, my wife and my two little girls will be there. Over capacity boat. I think it says 7 passenger. Fishes 4 comfortably I'd say. I'll have a crowd on there this next trip. Chaos.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:37 PM

Another cool video. What do you do for work doc? seems you put the miles on!!
Old 07-16-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Another cool video. What do you do for work doc? seems you put the miles on!!
I'm a Medical Doctor, work at Surrey Memorial. That's how I came up with the name during residency people would call me the fishing doctor.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:03 PM

nicely done