Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2016, 09:30 PM

Default Light weight inflatables?

Hi all,

I have a zodiac-knock off boat that I love. Unfortunately, it is too heavy (90lbs) to manage by myself right now, so I'm on the hunt for something inflatable, light but sturdy. Ideally, I could slap my trolling motor on it, but lifting my deep cycle battery right now is an issue too. So, looking for something that is easy to row and manage, under 40 lbs inflated (this is the impossible to find feature I'm looking for), and economical (under $300 - no, I'm not joking).... Most of my fishing would be on a lake, so an ability to handle some waves is preferred. Won't be doing any river drifting. Ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by nevercatchmuch; 07-18-2016 at 09:41 PM. Reason: info
Old 07-19-2016, 12:42 AM

I think Intex Seahawk boats worth a look. Size 2 is small and very easy to row, can fit a trolling motor, has a max capacity of 240 kg, and cost only $50 from Walmart. Size 3 is my optimum size, big enough to have all my gear and to give decent stability on big lakes, and worth only $90 from Canadian Tire. Unfortunately it is considerably harder to row, unless you invest a bit on better oars with thinner shafts. The next step is Intex Mariner 3 and 4. They are built much better, offer many nice features, and have great reviews. They are available in Cabela's and Amazon.ca for as low as $250. Good luck
Old 07-19-2016, 06:51 AM

Zodiak make an inflatable floor boat,not sure on the weight but much lighter than hard floor models, not cheap but you get what you pay for.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:53 AM

You need some weight as the inflatable skin thickness and composition are its strength. I can not recommend any particular boat but beware of the potential for damage with a "thin skin".
Old 07-20-2016, 10:11 PM

Thanks, everyone!

I used to run my trolling motor off deep cycle batts. Heavy! Anyone have any luck with smaller batteries lasting a decent amount of time? I'll do a search too as I know batteries have been extensively discussed on this site