Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Garage Break-In

Hi Guys
I had a break-in to my garage last night.The thieves were basically only after tools.They broke through a reinforced locked steel door and cleaned me out of a compressor,air tools, power hand tools,socket sets etc.In total I figure they stole about $7000.00 worth of tools and equipment.
Fortunately they are not fishermen.My boat,motors,fishfinders,flyrods,spinning and casting rods/reels,nine tackle boxes were untouched.
If anyone in the Edmonton area hears of anyone trying to sell airtools socket sets,etc please give me a shout.
Looks like it is time to set up a bed in the garage and buy a 12 gauge.
Thanks in advance to anyone who maybe can help me out.
Oh yeah,the positive part of this thread.I do have insurance.
But it sure gives a person a bad feeling to wake up and find that someone has violated your property.
HotHook
Old 07-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Banned

Good luck my man,,, nothing urks me more than crap like that a man works his ass off to buy some fine things for himself and family and some low life,, ass lickers come along and take his stuff... My only hope would be that I would find them before the cops... I guarantee they would not ever use the hand that they stold with ever again.. GUARANTEED
Old 07-07-2007, 12:21 PM

Thanks Walleyes
I have been thinking it is nearly time to move out of this neighbourhood(Delwood)I have lived here for 42 years and my last break-in was in 1993.
In the last 6 months two of the neighbours have had their garages,trucks and cars broken into and trashed.About 2 monthes ago 2 black dudes were murdered 6 doors south of my residence.
Things are getting a little too rough for an old guy like me,and it also is causing my wife to suffer from stress and fear.
This is a decent neighbourhood but the thirst for money driven by the need for drugs by the drug addicts leaves no one untouched.
A few years ago I vacationed in Cuba.One local(A school teacher) informed me that Cuba has a great system for punishing drug dealers.
They shoot them,end of problem.
It's about time our sorry ass justice system in Canada started to look at the drug problem we have here,and start protecting our innocent citizens instead of the criminals.
Have a good one
HotHook
Old 07-07-2007, 12:40 PM
-NDN-

no kidding that sucks. i doubt your gonna see your stuff, and thats the real sad part. When my CR-v was broke into a while back, we got it fixed, then we started taking out everything, and leaving the doors unlocked. They hit it again and punched out the key hole, with open doors. LOL real genius. and this was in a underground, locked heated and security patrolled parkade(mine).
Old 07-07-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
My only hope would be that I would find them before the cops...
a trail cam could give you a good chance at that.

Just as bad are the punks that smash the bus shelter a month after it's rebuilt, or the gangs that victimize our children, pushing them into crime and drugs.

I say expose them, capture them in action, then post thier pictures and crime details in public.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Gamehunter

[

Last edited by Gamehunter; 07-22-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Gone Hunting

I live in the country, and were at the point where we are starting to worry. Its only a matter of time. I was asking a farmer for permission up in Athabasca country, and he mentioned that thieves had been going around and posing as hunters to get in the yards to look around quick. Apparently afew places had been robbed in that area. Its getting scary. I know it would take no time to figure out what both me and my wifes schedules are. You could read us like a book. It scares, but moreso angers me.

keep a strain on er.

Last edited by packhuntr; 07-09-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Gamehunter

[:

Last edited by Gamehunter; 07-22-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Gone Hunting

What do you mean by that game hunter? If you disagree and feel that a man does not have a right to defend what he has legally obtained in a life of hard work, say so. It does appear to me as though you may be fairly well off. Mabey life changing events as such may not matter to someone like yourself?? On that note, I will say that there are people all over this country of ours that have to work their lifetime to obtain afew belongings of a personal nature. Its unfortunate that there are some people that not only rob others of their lifelong accomplishments, but there are others such as yourself that stand beside them, and say stupid sh*t like youve just implied. Heck, theres people probuably alot like yourself, that defend these people in a court of law, and have a man who may have simply been trying to defend himself and his own, jailed, and ruined. Its a sad world we live in, where people are so sensetized, that they have lost all grasp of the realities of life. All this in what, no more than mabey 60 years......

keep a strain on er.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Gamehunter

humm

Last edited by Gamehunter; 07-07-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Not again!!

I hate self proclaimed......................

There are no absolutes
Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Gamehunter

[

Old 07-08-2007, 03:18 PM

im with ya pack hunter!!! cops dont do anything....its a shame they fell down i sware!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Reply to Thread

you bet guys , if they steal from me & I catch them , the last thing they would have to worry about is the Cops , some good olde bootf****ing might teach them some respect
Old 07-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Gamehunter

Thumbs down Way Funny

I

Old 07-08-2007, 04:24 PM

Hey guys,I believe we are losing focus on what my original post was all about,some lowlifes stole a bunch of tools etc. from the garage and made good their escape.
Yes one of my first thoughts when I was angry was to be able to catch them,lay a beating on them or somehow try to get even.
Don't forget fellows,it was only material things that I lost.If I happened to confront them,they possibly are armed with guns,knives,clubs or what ever.
My live,your lives and our overall safety for our families sake should come first.
Let the police do their jobs,that is what they are paid for.As I peviously posted it is our justice system that is too lenient by slapping them on the wrist and they say they have learned their lesson.
My advise if anyone is a victim of a crime,think rationally,don't do anything dangerous because you never know what you are up against.
Have a great day.
HotHook
Old 07-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Hey Game-talker, you dont have to necessarily be a nice person, but try to add to the conversations, good content, bad content, doesnt matter. Just try to post something worth reading mabey.

keep a strain on er.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Gamehunter

Thumbs down

[:

Last edited by Gamehunter; 07-22-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Gamehunter

A bit of sage advice my friend.
As has been pointed out to me by many here, yourself included.
Delivery, and tone of response are very key in conveying a internet personality that does'nt result in confrontation.
Perhaps you should heed your own words and quite being a self proclaimed wise hat.
Nearly every post you reply to has an air of instigation about it.

Your right about use of physical force to protect material matters.
And my advice to all who consider it an option. The law reagrds use of excessive physical force to protect matreial items in a dim view. You are only legally able to respond with force in kind that's all.
Consider the ramifications if you persue excessive force.
Criminal charges, a criminal record, Firearms licence revoked, and all the associated troubles.
Now I am not agreeing with the law, but it's just that the law of the land, and a Sheister Lawyer will eat you alive if you get on the wrong side of it. This is Kanada after all, home of the wanna be Nanny State, and the Feel Good solution.

As for Self Proclaimed Wise Hats.
Well I've never met one willing to put up, so I guess they will never............................................. ............

Have a nice day.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Gamehunter

[.

Last edited by Gamehunter; 07-22-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:45 PM

Why don't you cut and paste the rest of the sentence.
I'm in a very self reflectice mood these days, as I indicated in the start of that post. But I guess you like to piece it together only to suit your own mind.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Gamehunter

Last edited by Gamehunter; 07-22-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:50 PM

PM me.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-08-2007, 06:03 PM

hothook, good luck getting your stuff back. I am all too familiar with that feeling of having your turf violated and yeah, be concerned that they might come back for the rest of your gear.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:51 PM

Thanks lazy ike,Yes I am aware how the thieves operate.They did get a good look at all my possessions in the garage,probably looking for a bigger truck.
I have also heard they will wait 2-3 weeks then strike again after a person has replaced the stolen goods through the insurance companies.
I have moved a lot of my possessions out of the garage and looking at a stronger lockset for the doors.Also looking at a better alarm system.Of course the easiest access is still a window so nothing is really foolproof.
Thanks
HotHook
Old 07-08-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHook View Post
Thanks lazy ike,Yes I am aware how the thieves operate.They did get a good look at all my possessions in the garage,probably looking for a bigger truck.
I have also heard they will wait 2-3 weeks then strike again after a person has replaced the stolen goods through the insurance companies.
I have moved a lot of my possessions out of the garage and looking at a stronger lockset for the doors.Also looking at a better alarm system.Of course the easiest access is still a window so nothing is really foolproof.
Thanks
HotHook
Cripes I feel fer ya man. Bummer big time.
Not wanting to sound to critical, but perhaps some sort of heavy screen or bars for the windows is in order.
Also love the idea of the game camera, especially if you figure you have the way they get in and out of your yard down pat.
Also might want to figure out how to not get into any sort of patternable routine. Tough as it may be try coming and going at all times no rhyme or reason. B&E artests shy away from un patternable people.
Guess your now gonna find out how good your insurance company is.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-08-2007, 08:20 PM

Yes a game camera is also an option.Bars on the windows,the thieves will see them and think they made a wrong turn and are back at their old residence(prison).As far as my insurance company,I have known the lady and dealt with her for over 20 years,first name basis,she knows my kids etc.She is alright,just hope the carrier is as good as she is.I will know soon enough<will be seeing her tomorrow.Will keep you posted.
Cheers
HotHook
Old 07-08-2007, 10:03 PM

Hot Hook, man I'm really sorry to hear about your luck. That sucks. I hope it all works out for you in the end, but it is awful to have to live scared in your own home. Good luck, man!

Pack. I won't say if I agree or disagree with your position or not (PM me and I WILL tell you ). All I know is that a short time ago there was a thread regarding using shotguns for home defense.

The most valuable thing I took away from that thread was a fantastic post by Dick284. I can only paraphrase it, but basically he said that this is a PUBLIC forum. Anyone can read what you post. Would if you came home tonight, God forbid, to find the exact situation you described previously, right in front of you? Would if one of the perpetrators ended up dead? The prosceutor would soon find your post, and man, look out! You're the one looking at jail time!

Also, I believe that Dick284 said that by all means have a plan, but keep your mouth SHUT about it! My advice Pack, excersise the ability to edit posts. These days you can't be too careful!

Tree
Old 07-09-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Break-in

Hot hook that is crappy man. I have had my place broken into and all they stole was my kids stuff. Easy to sell video games and a DVD player. It is a helpless feeling coming home from work and seeing all your stuff smashed, moved or missing. I feel for you. As for the vigilante talk, be careful what you wish for. A friend of a friend caught two guys stealing the wheels off of his truck, he thought it was a good idea to try and show them the error of thier ways and well they had the tire irons. It was a bad day for buddy. Beaten half dead and they still stole what they wanted.
LB
Old 07-09-2007, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the condolances LB270 but life goes on,sure I am out a few dollars but the main thing is none of the family were physically hurt.It could have been worse when a person reads about home invasions,thats when it gets real scarry.
You are right about the vigilante talk,we were not all made equal but man made equalizers.It is just not worth it to try to take matters into your own hands.I feel for your buddy,the anger sure didn't pay off.
Cheers
HotHook