Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
What would prevent them from going to the newly opened areas? It's not like they are limited to one area. I'm sure most of them already put in for one of the draws outside of those areas anyway. Seems to me to be a good solution for all resident sheep hunters.
Fair enough but do you think many guys that hunt 420 or 434 or 422 are gunna load everything up and head to 408?
Most guys are gunna stay in their home areas. And most guys that put in a draw are only putting in for a chance at a 200" sheep or a bow only tag. Why run to anther zone that is gunna have as many guys as where you hunt now?

And can you since Rich is scared to answer anything on here tell me all these areas that the can open?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Seems to me to be a good solution for all resident sheep hunters.
Seems to me to be the best sollution for you as part of your home area that you hunt was shut down? And I dont blame yu for wanting them opened but it isnt a sollution for the whole province.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Fair enough but do you think many guys that hunt 420 or 434 or 422 are gunna load everything up and head to 408?
Most guys are gunna stay in their home areas. And most guys that put in a draw are only putting in for a chance at a 200" sheep or a bow only tag. Why run to anther zone that is gunna have as many guys as where you hunt now?

And can you since Rich is scared to answer anything on here tell me all these areas that the can open?
I'm sure if these parks were opened that they too would be on draw so yes, I'm sure guys would pack up and head wherever. It would mean less hunters in general areas, more opportunity at big sheep and more opportunity for hunters. There are several provincial parks and wilderness areas currently closed to hunting that would offer loads of new oppurtunity. I think I answered this same question of yours before in the sheep draw thread. I still like the idea and the areas to be opened are still the same.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Seems to me to be the best sollution for you as part of your home area that you hunt was shut down? And I dont blame yu for wanting them opened but it isnt a sollution for the whole province.
How is it my home area. You are closer to many of the areas than I am. And since a person would have to draw a tag, I really don't see anyone having an advantage. It's more opportunity for ALL Albertans.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
How is it my home area. You are closer to many of the areas than I am. And since a person would have to draw a tag, I really don't see anyone having an advantage. It's more opportunity for ALL Albertans.
Why cant any of you guys lobbying for all these lands open tell me what they all are . Because there arent that many or what. I know there are a few but cant see how a couple draw tags are gunna help when only 2000 guys buy a general tag and over three times that put in for a draw?

And my home area has no closed lands TJ.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
The only changes I'm in favor of will see hunters back in some the areas we've lost to parks.
I would love to have more areas to hunt. It would spread the hunters around and give us more opportunity at sheep.

Sheephunter, Other than the Siffleur and White Goat, what other areas could be opened up to sheep hunting?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:36 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Why cant any of you guys lobbying for all these lands open tell me what they all are . Because there arent that many or what. I know there are a few but cant see how a couple draw tags are gunna help when only 2000 guys buy a general tag and over three times that put in for a draw?

And my home area has no closed lands TJ.
Please do me the favour of actually reading my posts Darcy before replying. I never said your home area had any closed lands. I said you were a lot closer to many of the areas they could open than I am...ugh

If you'd take a minute to look at the hunting regs you could easily find these areas yourself but as you seem unwiling to do that, let's start with the White Goat, Siffleur and Ghost River Wilderness areas. As these areas are so remote and only foot access is permitted, I suspect they could sustain a fairly high number of tags thus reducing pressure in many general areas. Throw in Peter Lougheed and Spray Valley Parks and suddenly there are a whole lot of new opportunities for ALL Alberta hunters.

Last edited by sheephunter; 01-25-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

Bringing in the Whitegoat and Siffleur gives under 1000sq miles.
Siffleur=526sq/miles
White goat= 434sq/miles
Not a huge amount of land.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

The siffleur is no more remote than the head waters of the south ram TJ and tones of guys hunt that. And the one boundry of the white goat is the cline river. Do you know how many guys hunt the cline area. And another boundry is along the hight of land in corral creek which also gets lots of pressure. You obviously dont know these areas very well. They arent very remote at all.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:56 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
The siffleur is no more remote than the head waters of the south ram TJ and tones of guys hunt that. And the one boundry of the white goat is the cline river. Do you know how many guys hunt the cline area. And another boundry is along the hight of land in corral creek which also gets lots of pressure. You obviously dont know these areas very well. They arent very remote at all.
They are very remote considering that only foot access is permitted. Not many guys get into head waters of the South Ram or Cline on foot now do they? Sure some do but it's horse country for the most part. But then again a 1,000 square miles would be nothing to cover on foot in an afternoon........

It's actually Coral Creek and not Corral Creek too. Corral is in the Willmore.

Before this thread goes any further into the toilet, my point is, there are lots of new areas that could be opened up providing new opportunity rather than reducing it which seems to be a no brainer to me.

Last edited by sheephunter; 01-25-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Throw in Peter Lougheed and Spray Valley Parks and suddenly there are a whole lot of new opportunities for ALL Alberta hunters.
Ok ill throw them in TJ

Spray Valley = 254sq/miles that like 15.95 miles x 15.95 miles if in a square block how many rams do you think you can take out of there before its like every where else.

Peter Loughheed is the largest at 708sq/miles.

that gives you a total of 1922sq/miles or an area of 43.85miles x 43.85miles how many guys can you put in there. Come on lets get a little realistic. Sure a couple rams could come out of these areas but its not gunna be all that drastic as to change the face of sheep hunting in Alberta.
Just gives all them guys that never hunt bighorns but yet still put in for the draw have a chance at a few more draws!!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's actually Coral Creek and not Corral Creek too. Corral is in the Willmore.
Holy sorry for accidently double clicking the "R" god your a piece of work. Things not going your way so you jump on spelling.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

Oh and if you look these areas are either bordered by or are within a few miles of a Major Hi-Way.
And foot access only so what your saying is we should only improve things for the back packers?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 PM

DING. DING. Round 23.

Looks as if there was a little dirty fighting in Round 22 so hopefully we won't see it again.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned

Not fighting dirty just showing some facts and figures on "THEIR" idea of bettering sheep hunting for the whole province.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:03 PM

SG,
Fact is, 2000 more sqare miles is better than 0. Sheep is simply suggesting there could be more opportunities available, rather than seeing them being taken away. Do you not grasp that point?
And whether its foot access only is a moot point - it is more access and more opportunity.
Dont we want more hunting opportunites in Alberta as well as protecting those we already have, provided they are sustainable??

Is that idea really that hard to agree with???

Sincerely,
Mike
Old 01-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7MM Mike View Post
SG,
Fact is, 2000 more sqare miles is better than 0. Sheep is simply suggesting there could be more opportunities available, rather than seeing them being taken away. Do you not grasp that point?
And whether its foot access only is a moot point - it is more access and more opportunity.
Dont we want more hunting opportunites in Alberta as well as protecting those we already have, provided they are sustainable??

Sincerely,
Mike
I agree 100% but my concern is for improving the "Whole" province. And helping "All" hunters. While the opening of these areas will give a couple more areas look at how many sheep come out of our zones now. You look at 962Sq/miles in the kananaskis isnt gunna pull that much pressure from the rest of the area and if like TJ said its a limited draw then it will pull maybe 2 - 4 guys per closed area into it. Same as the Siffleur and WhiteGoat. So between them 4 areas your gunna have 16 guys with tags, Its not enough to help every zone that we have now.

The only way to open these zones is as TJ said. Open a few draw tags.

The number of Trophy sheep draw applications for 2009 was 9782(7105 Rifle and 2677 for Bow).
Doesnt seem good odds to me having over 4 times the guys put in for draws than are hunting every year on general tags. Doesnt seem fair to the guys out hunting every year.

JMHO
SG

I agree though that these draw tags are a good idea its just not gunna acheive what we have been talking about on this thread.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
SG,

Sincerely,
Mike
LOL! It sounds rather exciting doesn't it? Especially when you consider the quality and quantity of sheep range encased in the 2000 square miles. It takes a rare point of view to discount the addition, now doesn't it?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
LOL! It sounds rather exciting doesn't it? Especially when you consider the quality and quantity of sheep range encased in the 2000 square miles. It takes a rare point of view to discount the addition, now doesn't it?
How many tags do you think will be opened 209?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
SG,

Sincerely,
Mike
x2.....I have NO idea how a guy cant see that opening up that many parks wouldnt be a good thing. There is some TRULY awesome sheep hunting and a pile of country in some of that land. Opening it up in even the smallest amount has gotta be a good thing for the quality of sheep being harvested and the hunter opportunity.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
x2.....I have NO idea how a guy cant see that opening up that many parks wouldnt be a good thing. There is some TRULY awesome sheep hunting and a pile of country in some of that land. Opening it up in even the smallest amount has gotta be a good thing for the quality of sheep being harvested and the hunter opportunity.
Ya for sure Rack and when you consider the quality sheep habitat and the number of rams in some of those areas, it's hardly a small area. It would be like adding another 6 or 8 WMUs when compared against some of the areas like 416 or 418. Some of these areas are basically 100% sheep habitat and could certainly sustain a fairly large number of hunters. Definitely more than a handful of tags. Add to that the difficulty of accessing the heart of the wilderness areas and I suspect that success wouldn't be overly high. As all of these areas are currently closed to horses and ATVs, I suspect that they'd have to remain that way but it still would offer up incredible opportunity for many.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

A simple question for 2.09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
They have banned ATV's, which has put more ATV pressure on the other zones which allow ATV's. Now you are suggesting they ban horses, which in turn will put more pressure on the othe zones that allow horses.
I would be very careful on what you wish for..

Why would you want to ban horses anyways??
Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
DING. DING. Round 23.

Looks as if there was a little dirty fighting in Round 22 so hopefully we won't see it again.
Instead of doing my exercise to get in shape for next sheep season I'm sitting here with popcorn

We'll done guys
Old 01-25-2010, 07:08 PM

Rack, I totally agree. I don't sheep hunt nor do I have a desire to. I am a flat land bush hunter. But one thing I have noticed on this board that some people will argue that white is black and black is white. Not because they believe it but because a specific person said black is black or white is white. They will argue over an opinion and demand an explanation of why that person has that opinion. But if a different person voices an opinion and their target person agrees then they go after their target and ignore the person who originally voiced the opinion. Too bad it happens because that kind of disagreement grows old fast and greatly detracts from the board, and discussion at hand.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
Rack, I totally agree. I don't sheep hunt nor do I have a desire to. I am a flat land bush hunter. But one thing I have noticed on this board that some people will argue that white is black and black is white. Not because they believe it but because a specific person said black is black or white is white. They will argue over an opinion and demand an explanation of why that person has that opinion. But if a different person voices an opinion and their target person agrees then they go after their target and ignore the person who originally voiced the opinion. Too bad it happens because that kind of disagreement grows old fast and greatly detracts from the board, and discussion at hand.
Very good lilsundance!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well lilsundance im thinking your directing some of this at me and yes I will argue. If I say its black and you say im wrong without prooving it then yes ill argue with you whether your a moderator or whatever. If someone has the balls to call BS they better have them to proove it. Unlike alot of guys im not intimidated by anyone. I could care less if your the elite of hunters ill voice my opinion and if shown im wrong ill admit it.

Darcy
Old 01-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are correct Lil'sundance. I can think of a couple right now.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
You are correct Lil'sundance. I can think of a couple right now.
Me too Tonto. But they aren't around anymore.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Me too Tonto. But they aren't around anymore.
The ones I am thinking of are.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Administrator

LOL... with good reason!
Closed Thread