Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned

Default Takeing the Family Ice fishing

So I have decided that after to many broken promises that I am going to yank the Kids out of school on Wed for a day out on the ice.
We will be heading down to a lake south of Fort McLeod.
Any suggestions on how to make the day more enjoyable for the kids?
I will be bringing the quad and Tobaggon.
Food Ideas?
Suggestions?
Any thoughts?

Jamie
Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM

we always have soup when we're fishing. take out the little stove and heat up some good 'ol chicken noodle. make it fun like camping, but on the ice, in the snow. and catch fish while your at it...
Old 03-03-2008, 09:23 PM

Default Good For You

I find with my little guys that being able to see the bottom of the lake is the most important thing. If they can watch their own hook and or see fish swim around they are having fun and will stay interested for hrs. Seems like perch and pike are the best for just sitting there and staring at the hook. If we are sitting out side watching tip ups or jigging seems like they loose interest fast and have to do some quading like your planning.
Cleaning fish and going through the organs, stomach contents, and all those other intersting things they like also
We always try to name the big one that got away or didn't take the lure also for next time

Don't tell anyone but some times I let them help me drive the truck out there too. Bad daddy I know

Have fun..........Roebag
Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 PM

Thermos of hot chocolate and tim bits
Old 03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
TundraBuck

Jamie you can't go wrong with Cow Lake either. They'll be able to sightfish and most definitely will catch lots of perch.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
Jamie you can't go wrong with Cow Lake either. They'll be able to sightfish and most definitely will catch lots of perch.
Ditto for Cow. If you don't have a tent bring a foamie for them to belly up to the hole on and a tarp to block the light. Cow Lake is great for sightfishing with kids because it's shallow all over and there's lots of tiny fish around their hooks to keep their interests up.

And nothing like a tailgate cookout to put something warm in their hands and in their bellies. Grilled cheese sammies or quesadillas are a snap to make as are sloppy joes. Just don't mess up the maggots with the food. Mmm, I'm getting hungry....
Old 03-04-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uicehole View Post
Ditto for Cow. If you don't have a tent bring a foamie for them to belly up to the hole on and a tarp to block the light. Cow Lake is great for sightfishing with kids because it's shallow all over and there's lots of tiny fish around their hooks to keep their interests up.

And nothing like a tailgate cookout to put something warm in their hands and in their bellies. Grilled cheese sammies or quesadillas are a snap to make as are sloppy joes. Just don't mess up the maggots with the food. Mmm, I'm getting hungry....
Cow and Gull X3.........Roebag
Old 03-04-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
We will be heading down to a lake south of Fort McLeod.
If i read it right he has already got a lake picked out, as for making it more enjoyable make sure you have extra clothes so they dont get cold, lots of little snacks and stuff cause if they are having to much fun they probably wont want to waste their time with a bigger meal, but for a quick/easy filling meal cant beat hot dogs and burgers, that is if you have propane stove or equivalent.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 AM

Biggest question is how old are your kids. If they are old enough to skate take them along with a stick and puck. Extra gloves for sure as they always seem to get wet no matter how old they are. Take lots of pictures and let them take pictures as they see things in a whole different light. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:16 AM

Bring their skates! just set the boundaries for them ,lace'm up and turn 'm loose! Also lots of snacks and juice boxes the last thing you want to hear is " I'm bored,when are we going back" Make sure you pack your camera to record the memories....enjoy!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:17 AM

beat me by 1 minute MM !!!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Banned

Nothing like frying up some of the fresh fish the kids just caught.. Take a fry pan and small stove, put some oil and a scoop of butter in a jar and close up with a lid, pre mix your flour and spices in a freezer bag.

After you guys hopefully catch a couple clean them and fry the kids up some of what they just caught,, they love it and really puts the whole thing into perspective for them.. And don't force them to fish,, I know when my boys were small they would loose interest fast and start to play, if they want let them you don't want it to be a job for them. Just keep fishing yourself and when you catch one let them bring it out and its their fish...

Hope you guys have a great day,, hey its can't get any better anyway out in the outdoors kids at your side,, ahhh life's good..
Old 03-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned

Well we are off in a few hours, extra change of clothes and all the gloves we can find for the kids.
Pics tommorow night.

Jamie
Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Banned

We had a fantastic time today. slight breeze but Blue Sky's and some sunburn.
The Kids had a great time, Both got the chance to drive the quad a fair bit, both got dragged behind on a Toboggan.. BTW does anyone have one for sale? Turns out you cant send my wife and Rackmaster out to dig out a quad.. Well more like float it out
Heidi figured out just because it looks nice and white on top, doesn't mean there isn't 6 inches of water down below the 1 foot of snow... But at least the quad is clean now.. Give or take a Tobaggon.
She was quit worried that she had done something wrong.. I said "Honey, your not the first one to get a quad stuck, and I promise you, you will not be the last!" Great times.

Rack was great enough to be our guide today down south. He was very patient and kind to my children.. Those Rumors of Rack eating little children have finally been put to rest. Not sure if he still kicks puppy's for fun, but I know he is good with the kids.

We had plenty of holes dug and managed to let the kids catch 6 Whitefish and one Pike. Funny thing about the pike was that was under length.. I didn't bother to tell Willy that before hand.. That was one ticked off 6 year old as we put it back down the hole. He knew it was a different fish and was very proud to have caught it. Rack was also very generous with his rod.. Any hook ups he managed he instantly gave it to one of the kids. I know if he hadn't been doing that, he would have caught another 4 more at least.
Thank you very much Trevor.

We had lots of food out on the ice including hot soup and hot dogs along with a ton of hot chocolate. Bringing a fold up table was a great idea.

I purposely took the day off today, had my pages transfered and left my phone in the truck. It was worth every second. My god is it fun outside with friends and family.

We learned as a family, that we really enjoyed Ice Fishing. Perhaps we can get out another day before things get to soft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0011-1.jpg (73.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0012.jpg (80.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0013-1.jpg (98.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0020.jpg (84.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0021.jpg (80.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0035.jpg (77.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0046.jpg (98.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0037-1.jpg (82.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Banned

More Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0063.jpg (86.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0066.jpg (86.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Banned

Oh.. Btw.
I OUT FISHED RACKMASTER

Jamie
Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 PM

Great lookin pics, those are the days you tend to remember the most. Good to hear you rescued the quad and i think Rack deserves a pat on the back.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 03-05-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Oh.. Btw.
I OUT FISHED RACKMASTER

Jamie
Haha...I think I'd have outf-fished ya if I hadnt been so busy digging your quad out of the slush!!!!

I had a great time...nothing better than having fun with kids on the ice. We hooked a heck of a lot more fish that would have come up through the ice, but when handing rods off to little guys sometimes ya loose a few...

Either way....it was a slower day than usual but fun enough with good people, good laughs, and some fish through the ice. Good to see the smiles and excitement from Jamie's kids!

You guys are more than welcome to share a spot on the ice with me anytime, and theres always room in the boat come spring!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:05 PM

Where you end up going? Looks like had a great day.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:34 PM

Looks like a great day to be out with family and friends. I'm glad your kids had such a blast, hopefully they're hooked.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 AM

Thumbs up Thanks for a Great post

Thanks for a Great post.

Always nice to see people having a fun time with family and friends...
These are the kind of memories that will be there for many years.

Thanks again fo sharing...

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Banned

Looks like a great day had by all,, good job jamie..
Old 03-06-2008, 09:22 AM

Awesome! Great post from beginning to end.

You know, we always seem to get more worked up...about work than we really need to. Things always seem more serious at work than they really are. I applaud you for taking the day out with your kids. Not only something for the family to remember but very therapeutic for yourself. Way to go!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 AM

I know this is late Jamie but when I take the kids and all I take the turkey fryer fresh cut french fries a tub of batter for the fish (optomist) some smokies (pesimist) and much of the same stuff you took one of the most common comments I here from other kids is "gee dad or oh man those people know how to ice fish" that in and of it's self may be a missnomer but we do know how to have fun and it sure looks like you do as well.

Tight lines always Dbear
Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Banned

Thanks all. We had a great day.
Heidi called it a Picnic on ice.
A person really could take this as far as you wanted.

I was still thinking, the dream trip could be pulling the trailer out on the ice and spending the night. Along with all the fixings and card games a group could have a blast.
That Deep fryer idea.. Imagine Poutine on ice. MMMMMMMMMMM
With a couple of quads, you could have some races make some bets on first, biggest and most fish.. Heck it would be a greet weekend. They sky would be the limit.

Jamie
Old 03-06-2008, 05:20 PM
TundraBuck

Awesome job Jamie, now they won't stop asking when you're going next!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Default Kids and fishing

Depending on the age of the kids some things that help is:

1. Break up the fishing day. younger kids can fish for 20 minutes to 30 minutes before needing something else to do.

2. Take enough little fishing prizes so that they all can win a prize for fishing or best attempt etc.

3. Take small candy treats for distraction

4. Take coloring books, toboggan, big shovel. Pile snow into a large mound and kids can slide off or fish near the shore where they can slide down.

5. Take lunch and plenty of drinks...porta potty for smaller kids

6. Take a shelter they can fish out of or relax in more so than a car with plenty of seating for all

7. Take a little heater for shelter

8. Give the kids choice of hook/bait

9. Help set the hook and let the kids reel them in

10. Fish for stocked trout/perch where action can be good and fishing style easier than say whitefish

11. Take full change of clothes, extra winter jacket, snow pants and above all extra boots and mitts!

12. Take some popsicle sticks and if the snow is fresh...pack it down a bit and pour thick maple syrup over and let the kids pick it out on the stick.

13. Take Sling shots/bows with targets

14. Fish with other kids as well...distraction

15. BRING PLENTY OF PATIENCE. fully expect to go fishing with little kids and leave within an hour. Forcing a kid to fish is a kiss of death to them ever liking the sport again.

Just my experience...

Sun