Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2008, 07:00 PM

Default any luck at newell?

went out this sunday, spent just about the whole day at newell and only caught a few small pike. we saw a couple of real nice ones swimm right under our holes, but they didn't want anything to do with ours baits.

we had 2 tip up's with big smelts that never got hit all day, i even moved them around a few times but couln't find the fish anywhere

we caught the two small ones on little tube jigs, but nothing elsed seemed to work.

anybody got any tips on what might work out there?

thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Hey there, doesnt sound like it was a real good day....Thats fishin i guess. Where abouts did you end up going TEX???
Old 03-03-2008, 07:19 PM

followed your dircetions to the lake, fished about 100 yards north of a small island, near the mouth of the lake.

there were lots of old holes around, you could tell plenty of peole had been fishing there. just no luck i guess, maybe next time i will try herrings or sardines instead
Old 03-03-2008, 08:13 PM

Agreed - yesterday was definitely slow at Newell. I was using large herring and only managed 2 all day. The only consolation is that the last one I caught was 18.25# - the biggest one so far this year. It is still swimming around for someone else to catch.

KJPFISH
Old 03-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Did you happen to track down a hydro map of her before you came and took a run at er TEX? There is some super structure on that end of the lake, but it can be abit daunting to go moving around without having been there a couple times. Keep heading east from where you left the hiway, and follow that gravel around till it starts going north, you will be between Rolling hills reservoir and Newell. Either lake, either side of the road, there is some awesome turf to scout out and fish. Best thing you can do is get on google earth, and check out the entire area, you will also learn some great access points to more remote areas of the lake. Underwater structure (shoreline for ice fishing) basically is giving itself away between looking at a hydrographic and google earth. Look hard at accesing the shallows right adjacent to deeper water if you can disipher it out, inside bends and smaller points(not much for big ones!!) will be good. There is more shoreline structure around Newell than you could try to learn in a lifetime if your hard about BIG pike.

edit, as far as the right baits, sounds like you were using the right stuff.....Id say location is the biggest part of the puzzle though. They just had a derby there, and like i was saying, its a great spot, but all that activity there i can only imagine would turn a good spot into an iffy spot pretty quick. I dont know how quick the big girls can get educated, but no doubt there are some awesome fish that are territorial on structure that does not see an ice fisherman all winter. Would stand to reason that with the right timing, like last ice coming up, the right spots, and the right time of day, a guy could be setting some iron on a real monster. Im gonna be giving those big girls a run for their money this weekend on a local slough around here, and id invite ya out for a morning, but this one is a small slough, and its a "secret"!!!!!!!!! Tight lines fellas.

keep a strain on er.

Last edited by packhuntr; 03-03-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:43 AM

thanks for all the info packhuntr. sure sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to fishing, guess i should have done a little more home work before heading out.

i'll look into things much closer before going out again. sure would like to hook into one of those monsters everybody talks about. anything i can do to increase my odds sure is appreciated

good luck to you this weekend at your secret spot.. although it sounds like you don't use luck as a big part of your game plan

thanks again

tex
Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 AM

Default Map

If you would like a great Hydro Map of Newell or Crawling Valley go to the EID office and they sell maps of each for $10 they are great full of detail.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Gone Hunting

x2 on the EID maps. They are just copies enlarges of the color ones on the SRD website, but laminated and in the glove box of the boat, they are invaluable.
TEX, im out there getting my azz handed to me evrytime i go....Cant seem to put the hooey on them big girlz. Ive caught some awesome stuff over the years, but to consistently do it is tough man. It seems im getting into nice fish here and there with little rhyme or reason or consistency.....Im trying to put all these things together to target large pike down here, but it aint easy!!!! Just gotta keep on keepin on.

keep a strain on er.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:16 AM

at the risk of sounding stupid what is the EID office, and what does SRD stand for?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:00 PM

Packhuntr Are the maps better then the ones on the gowalleye site?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:17 PM

Default Try this

I hope this link turns out.

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fieldoffice...aps/newell.pdf
Old 03-04-2008, 03:23 PM

EID is Eastern Irrigation District. SRD is Sustainable Resource Development
Old 03-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Willy, ya they are alot better than the ones on the Gowalleye site. Looks like Dennisb posted it above. The EID has Newell and Crawling printed out in color on i think its legal sized paper, but thicker than reg paper and pretty tough. They are great after laminating. I dont know if you can print these maps off the SRD site???? If you can, i dont know how, or if on standard paper if you would be able to read the detail and depths, its quite fine print in the depth chart. The EID did a heck of a job on them though, and for 10 bucks its a good deal. The SRD copy only has color coding, the EID put on feet in depth very finely and did a heck of a job. Id imagine you could call the EID and have a couple copys sent to you. If you want i will post pics of both when i get home so you can see what i mean by labeling of depths,,,,its very well done, and in feet rather than meters. Abit more user friendly, especially for quick reference in the boat or in the camper at night, no math to do.

keep a strain on er.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Heres afew pics of the ones i have pinned on the wall in my huntin/fishin room. Hope you can see the way they labelled the depths in feet. Sure makes things easy. I threw a pic of the Crawling map up as well for you guys to see.

keep a strain on er.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2539.jpg (70.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2541.jpg (59.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2542.jpg (74.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2543.jpg (88.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 PM

went fishing on newell on sunday as well

caught 2

saw 4 in the hole and nothing on the tip ups.

didnt seem very intrested in what we were presenting them ethier
Old 03-05-2008, 07:31 PM

thanks guys , those maps are great.

they really could help a guy catch more fish, i'll have to find some for the other lales i like to fish.

cheers