Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 PM

Default Heading to Morinville Pond in the morning!

Time once again to hunt for the fish, this has by far been the slowest ice fishing season for me ever, regardless mabey the perch or rainbows will be biting tommorow, at least i'll be able to try out the new aquaview, anyone been out there lately, if so what side, how was fishing, what did you use for bait/hooks???

I'll get on here and report when i get back, by the way just joined seems like a great website.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:16 AM

Welcome to AO
Looking forward to the report as I haven't fished there in some time.

BH
Old 03-06-2008, 08:26 PM

So i didnt end up getting out until 2pm, but i was amazed how much action was under water, first time i have ever used an aquaview, regardless when we switched to smaller hooks the bites were steady until about 6pm, however the perch were in the 3.5-6 inch range, it was lots of fun though, tommorow i'm heading out again, this time in the morning. The battery only lasted an hour in the aquaview so i'm not sure if there was fish still down there at 6pm when they stopped biting but considering this early bird didnt start fishing til 2pm, not bad, the girlfriend and i totalled about 15 or so, but bites all day.

I'm wondering if there are any keepers in that lake, out of all the ones we caught only one was really a keeper unless you wanna make soup

Old 03-06-2008, 10:56 PM

Default perch

newyears day there was one guy on the south end in about the middle that had one 10" perch on the ice - i was only there once with my wife (7 days before she gave birth to our daughter)- needless to say we stayed for only an hour
Old 03-07-2008, 07:58 AM

Default perch stunting

You should contact the local fish and game group and organize a perch gill netting and deep fry fest. If you can hammer the numbers down sufficiently you could get some better size perch for a year or two. Yearly gill netting would help. Short sets would allow for safe, live release of any trout.

Cheers.

Sun