Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 AM

Default Long Lake

Has anyone been to or heard any Perch Reports on Long Lake by Boyle, thinking bout heading there Saturday, looks like going to bee nice weekend to get out.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2008, 05:48 PM

I was out at Long Lake today an did not have any luck with perch. I fished the north end narrows and by the 1st and 2nd boat lauches. I was limited to where I could go with my 4x4 truck because of the amount of snow, a snowmobile/quad with a sled would have been ideal. I drilled about 20 different holes at various depths and did not see or have any bites from perch. I was fishing from 8 ft all the way to 25 ft and never had any perch luck. The pike were everywhere thou. I basically fed them my whole bag of smelts, not one was of legal size. Biggest was 55 cm. A fellow passing by had the same luck, no perch lots of pike. I also tried Whitemud Lake just south of Long and had to walk on due to snow. 300 yrds out I drilled a hole and the water stunt like sewage and the were probably a hundred little shrimp on the ice after I pulled the drill out. Same story in the middle of the lake. I suspect it is winter-killed or in the process of being. I would not go to Long Lake this time of year as this is the 3rd March I've fished it with no luck. The other guy said Hanmore was the same. Next trip for me will be to pigeon.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:30 PM

Thanx we were gonna head up there on sunday to try our luck at perch, wondering where a guy could find some????

Morinville was good today but basically your catching minnows.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:50 PM

Fishing for us hasn't been good at Long the last few outings either..
The pike are always stunted there.

Thats too bad to hear about Whitemud but I think it happens all the time, it's more of a big pond then anything else.

I was at Hanmore a couple weeks ago and all we caught were tiny pike. I'm looking to try something new this weekend.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the info, I believe you just changed my mind. We will head to Pigeon tomorrow for Whites, guaranteed to get some action there.