Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-07-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Any recent reports for the lake - I'm thinking of getting out there in a couple weeks to try a new lake out ( launching at Valemount ).

Any reports or pointer to good shorelines to troll (or areas to try) would be appreciated !!!!

Thanks in Advance.
This thread also get me really excited to check out Kinbasket. Will be interested to follow along on the responses you get!
Old 07-07-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Any recent reports for the lake - I'm thinking of getting out there in a couple weeks to try a new lake out ( launching at Valemount ).

Any reports or pointer to good shorelines to troll (or areas to try) would be appreciated !!!!

Thanks in Advance.
I went there for my first time 2 weeks ago. We went in from the Golden side. My boat decided to act up so we only spent 1 day on the lake so I could get my engine looked at. We fished the bush arm and it was quite slow only landed 1 rainbow and didn't really mark a whole lot on the fish finder. It is a big lake and I am sure if a person spent some time you would find some big fish. We caught the rainbow on a bucktail. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. The lake is absolutely beautiful

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2016, 08:33 PM

EZM, just depends on how far you want to go, how many days your spending ,what kind of boat you have and if your planning on camping lakeside or campground/marina.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycap View Post
EZM, just depends on how far you want to go, how many days your spending ,what kind of boat you have and if your planning on camping lakeside or campground/marina.
I am flexible but 3-4 days or so on the water would be ideal.

I was thinking of staying on shore somewhere near (or right in) Valemount and launching every morning and spending a day on the water.

My boat is a 18.5 ft Lund Tyee with a 150 Honda - it's deep, heavy, solid and capable for a little boat of that size. I have had it out in some pretty choppy weather and it has been outstanding.

In terms of range I'm thinking we are talking 250 km safely - I can cruise at 80% throttle @ 60 km/hr (where it's reasonable on fuel consumption) so going 100 km in one direction, trolling around, and back, all in one day shouldn't be out of the question. Obviously, If I'm doing 90 minutes one way, and missing 3 hours of fishing time, I'm hoping the fishing is worth the travel, of course.

The boat has 2 completely isolated and independent GPS systems, will have a VHF on board, and all the safety equipment/backup I will need - as I understand this lake can be devoid of other boats/people.

I also have down riggers and gear capable of trolling deep and all the lyman lures, apexes, etc... a guy would want - and I'm old enough to have experience using the stuff (having done it wrong for the first 10 years or so - lol).

That's what I'm dealing with - so any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Nothing like getting a helping hand on a new body of water to make a trip a little more successful.

My boat is also open to having out with us for a day if you want to show us around a bit, or if you want to meet and chat over a beer or coffee.

It's a beautiful area that I've passed through lots of times over the years and you are lucky to live there - I am envious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000320.jpg (59.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Trolling Pierce.jpg (48.1 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by EZM; 07-07-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:09 AM

Pulling your boat each night is a good idea. The lake is around 70%ish full by the looks of things and i didnt see too many deadheads but the will be coming and soon. To have a boat that will do 60km/h must be awesome! I would highly recommend you dont go much faster than half that. Many of the larger trees are almost fully waterlogged and float just below the surface. There is an extremely shallow rock point that goes from 50ft to 1ft in a couple boat lengths at the mouth of bulldog ck so stay to the right when you leave the marina. Never fished below 30ft deep with the gear i have but ive drooled over many a 1000+ kokanee school sitting down at 125+ft. If your trolling deep be prepared to lose lots of tackle unless you plot out a route first. Random rock formations that belong on a mountain side and not in a lake exist all over. The lake bottom holds no structure at all and the fish seem to feed in numbers around large mats of floating bark and deadheads. Large bulls are scattered throughout but i find i catch more of them close to shore. Rainbows in excess of 5lbs are rare. Kokanee are very plentiful in later summer when they start to form up for spawning but few ever go over a pound. Be advised the fishing regulations change at fosters arm area. The weather this year has been fairly poor so make sure you have some overnight gear in case you have to crash camp in one of the 3 major bays and wait out bad weather. Early morning is the magic hour, evenings are hit or miss. Be smart have roe!
Drop me a pm a couple days before departure and ill see if i cant get my boat out for a couple days. I camped in a sheltered small bay in aug last summer. Woke up to a freak storm crushing my tent. Only things i had in the tent was my pjs, shotgun and my bedding. Pointed my flashlight down the bank into the water and it looked like a washing machine. All my gear, gas and dry goods were deepsix. The only parts sticking out of the water on my 16ft landing craft was the top few inches of the steering wheel and the bimimi top. Then the giant rollers came in as i got a ringside view of my baby full of water getting lifted 6-8ft in the air then crashing down on rock. Pounded in the wheel covers so badly and i had to beat them off with hammer and chisel to free the landing gear. Play safe out there. Kinbasket is a beauty but she has the worst temper of any lake going.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:31 PM

Sounds great thanks for the advice.

I won't go bombing around at 60 km if there are deadheads around .... no point in taking a swim.

If the fishing is decent around the marina area of the lake - and we have to navigate slowly - no big deal - I can troll around and record/map the lake for a subsequent pass over areas that hold fish.

The mapping software is outstanding for these lakes ..... here a mid lake reef .... pretty cool to be able to swing around and drop your gear on a line adjacent to the reef area ...... seems to be where the fish tend to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XXXXXXX - 1ft contours and color index.jpg (57.6 KB, 85 views)
Old 07-09-2016, 07:37 AM

I was out last weekend for the first time. Great place but found the fishing pretty slow. I didnt go out deep, mostly just trolling around shore. Wife had a big one on near a point in about 15m but never got to see it. I caught one bow casting from shore with a crocodile. Had a few other hits while trolling but not great, however, nice area and nice to explore somewhere new without the crowds. This was the southern area around Esplanade.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:56 PM

i see kinbasket flows into the Columbia river , are we allowed to fish in that river ? Tried checking the regs but just got confused.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:19 PM

Opposite. Columbia flows into kin basket. I do believe you can fish it. Not sure of the regs, but it runs pretty dirty til mid August.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:52 PM

Default Kinbasket lake

Hey guys me and the wife went out to kinbasket lake for 3 nights fished all day everyday,July 16-19. Stayed at kinbasket lake resort so nice, great people running he place.Didn't have much luck trolling just small Kokanee so I pulled into a steam flowing into the lake. We had none stop action probably caught 30 fish on the fly rod up to 4 lb 6 oz. the wife caught the biggest one on a 5 of diamonds it weighed in at 5lb 4 oz. kept one to try the fish was delicious and let the rest go. Thanks for the tips billy cap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (34.5 KB, 93 views)